Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Re: How much weight does the CFA charter carry [#permalink]
pguard...

Was wondering which schools you were applying to?

I also have a CFA charter and would like to go back for an MBA....PT at Stern best for me currently. if that does not pan out b/c of missed deadline..might try FT Wharton, Columbia, or Booth 2010.

From my limited knowledge, I am assuming that given that I intend to specialize in finance, that this is a progression of my personal improvement/dedication to profession, and that Stern specializes in finance...that CFA would have more weight. More weight then it would for someone looking for an MBA for career change or applying to a school that does not specialize in finance...

Basically not mentioning CFA b/c I want to emphasize that I have the ability and discipline to self-study over 600 hours, passed an extremely difficult set of tests, etc....

Looking forward to your (and others..) input....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
spgny wrote:
I also have a CFA charter and would like to go back for an MBA....PT at Stern best for me currently. if that does not pan out b/c of missed deadline..might try FT Wharton, Columbia, or Booth 2010.

This is a complicated question...if you like your job and you plan to stay there, Sloan PT would be a no-brainer. If you want to relocate/change jobs, then the FT programs might be a better option.

spgny wrote:
From my limited knowledge, I am assuming that given that I intend to specialize in finance, that this is a progression of my personal improvement/dedication to profession, and that Stern specializes in finance...that CFA would have more weight. More weight then it would for someone looking for an MBA for career change or applying to a school that does not specialize in finance...

I agree. However, I would wonder why anyone who has no finance background or interest in finance is taking the CFA. I like MIT and I think it's a great school but I like the FT schools you listed above better for finance. Without a doubt, "finance" schools are going to put more emphasis on the CFA than "marketing" focused schools.

spgny wrote:
Basically not mentioning CFA b/c I want to emphasize that I have the ability and discipline to self-study over 600 hours, passed an extremely difficult set of tests, etc....

That's how I approached it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
My reference pertained to say someone with a CFA charter, who is attending BS in order to change careers. Say applies to Kellogg for marketing. Then I would assume that taking the view that Kellogg would see a CFA charter as a plus over another candidate would be flawed....

However, my assumption is that if you are using CFA charter to sell your commitment to furthering your finance education through MBA from a BS specializing in finance...then it is a plus for the candidate....

However, you got dinged at Wharton? Do you think CFA charter did not help?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I agree with your career switching comments...if someone is going from IM to marketing, I don't think the CFA will help with gaining admission. You could still use it to your advantage but I don't think it would be a ton of help.

As for Wharton: I think Wharton does put weight on the CFA and I think it probably helped my chances there....my candidacy, from a holistic perspective, got me dinged at Wharton. The CFA is definitely not a bschool guarantee. As this thread indicates, some on this site think it holds very little weight with adcom.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
Kudos
The OP asked how much weight the CFA charter carries in the admission process, so ultimately you have to look at it from an AdCom perspective.

Whether the CFA charter is harder/easier than the CPA, the bar exam, the GMAT, etc. is hardly relevant. Why? Because the AdCom is not going to use the CFA/CPA/bar exam/GMAT score as the tiebreaker when picking candidates (I don't think so at least.)

Are you smart enough? Do you have a good work ethic? Do you have good leadership skills? Do you have good interpersonal skills (i.e. can you work well in a team)? Do you have a unique background that adds diversity to the cohort? etc. These are the types of questions the AdCom is going to ask when reviewing your application.

A CFA charter certainly shows intellectual capacity and good work ethic. However, these two factors can be shown in various other ways, so it's not going to be a gamebreaker in any way. It surely does not show any of the softer skills many schools crave in their applicants.

For those who argue that the CFA should be valued more in the admission process, I'm interested to know why. Because it is a very difficult certification to obtain and requires a lot of work are not good enough reasons, despite what you think. Why? AdComs just want to make sure you are smart *ENOUGH*, but they are not just looking for pure smarts. Admission is not about accepting the smartest 350~900 applicants. Otherwise (pardon this somewhat-flattering racial stereotype) most of the top schools will admit only Indian IT engineers with an 800 GMAT score. It is about meeting some arbitrary cut-off mark for intelligence that the AdCom sets, and anything beyond that is gravy. AdCom is going to look at your decent GMAT score, your CFA charter and go "Ok, this guy is smart enough and has a good work ethic. What else does he bring to the table?"

I feel the real strength of the CFA certification lies in its impact post-MBA. It is a professional certification that will open doors that would be otherwise closed to many of your fellow graduates. That's where you get the benefit of the CFA.

So I agree with most of the posters, don't get the CFA just to improve your admission chances (the effort/reward ratio is horrible.) But I disagree that it's undervalued, I think it is valued quite accurately from the AdCom's perspective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Attaining the charter or being a CFA candidate does help with the admissions decision. By pursuing the charter you demonstrate that you are an intelligent and hard working individual. In my case I devoted a sentence in my essays stating that I was a level III candidate and noting the hours of study I devoted to the exams. The reason I did so was because my extracurriculars such as volunteer work, basically ground to a halt when I was studying for the exams. Additionally The CFA or CPA can help one make up for a lower than average (for your school) quant score. So yes they help but you’d have to be f#cking crazy to devote so much time 3 yrs if you’re just doing it to enhance your MBA apps. :shock:
SP

xenok wrote:
The OP asked how much weight the CFA charter carries in the admission process, so ultimately you have to look at it from an AdCom perspective.

Whether the CFA charter is harder/easier than the CPA, the bar exam, the GMAT, etc. is hardly relevant. Why? Because the AdCom is not going to use the CFA/CPA/bar exam/GMAT score as the tiebreaker when picking candidates (I don't think so at least.)

Are you smart enough? Do you have a good work ethic? Do you have good leadership skills? Do you have good interpersonal skills (i.e. can you work well in a team)? Do you have a unique background that adds diversity to the cohort? etc. These are the types of questions the AdCom is going to ask when reviewing your application.

A CFA charter certainly shows intellectual capacity and good work ethic. However, these two factors can be shown in various other ways, so it's not going to be a gamebreaker in any way. It surely does not show any of the softer skills many schools crave in their applicants.

For those who argue that the CFA should be valued more in the admission process, I'm interested to know why. Because it is a very difficult certification to obtain and requires a lot of work are not good enough reasons, despite what you think. Why? AdComs just want to make sure you are smart *ENOUGH*, but they are not just looking for pure smarts. Admission is not about accepting the smartest 350~900 applicants. Otherwise (pardon this somewhat-flattering racial stereotype) most of the top schools will admit only Indian IT engineers with an 800 GMAT score. It is about meeting some arbitrary cut-off mark for intelligence that the AdCom sets, and anything beyond that is gravy. AdCom is going to look at your decent GMAT score, your CFA charter and go "Ok, this guy is smart enough and has a good work ethic. What else does he bring to the table?"

I feel the real strength of the CFA certification lies in its impact post-MBA. It is a professional certification that will open doors that would be otherwise closed to many of your fellow graduates. That's where you get the benefit of the CFA.

So I agree with most of the posters, don't get the CFA just to improve your admission chances (the effort/reward ratio is horrible.) But I disagree that it's undervalued, I think it is valued quite accurately from the AdCom's perspective.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
Attaining the charter or being a CFA candidate does help with the admissions decision. By pursuing the charter you demonstrate that you are an intelligent and hard working individual. In my case I devoted a sentence in my essays stating that I was a level III candidate and noting the hours of study I devoted to the exams. The reason I did so was because my extracurriculars such as volunteer work, basically ground to a halt when I was studying for the exams. Additionally The CFA or CPA can help one make up for a lower than average (for your school) quant score. So yes they help but you’d have to be f#cking crazy to devote so much time 3 yrs if you’re just doing it to enhance your MBA apps. :shock:
SP

xenok wrote:

I have to agree that anyone not interested in LT career in finance should not go near the CFA program. There is no way you should put yourself through that much pain to show you have academic discipline, etc. There are other ways probably more specific to your career goals.

Also, I agree that CFA charter shows its benefits pre/post MBA if you work in finance/AM. However, I do still feel that if you are applying to a school that specializes in finance, having a CFA charter shows that you are dedicated to taking your skills to the highest possible levels,etc. In that respect I have a feeling it sets you apart from an equally appealing candidate w/o CFA charter.

BTW....when I posed the CFA question to an Adcom person at one school, he responded that they do take it into consideration if your quant score is low..so maybe someone out there who rushed to do the GMAT to get an app in and got a low quant, can work the limited time/CFA argument.....
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
xenok wrote:

I completely agree with these sentiments. I don't think the CFA is really a differentiating factor, but I think it can add a data point where there might have been a previous intellectual capacity concern, or it can corroborate the applicant’s theme/story.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
pguard wrote:
That being said, I’m interested to see how a non-top 30 undergrad + top bschool + CFA will fair in recruiting against top 30 undergrad + top bschool, all else being equal. Since I drink the kool aid, I think the former will do better since the "tier" of the bschool will be most relevant and it will be a wash.

pguard, I have largely the same background/interests as you and I’m also interested to see how IM recruiting shakes out. From the several IM at Booth I’ve spoken to, it sounds like previous work experience is far and away the most important factor, while nobody even mentioned the CFA program, although I didn’t ask specifically about it. After the experience factor, however, some responded that the results among those who were truly interested in IM were a little random as there were some unexpected outcomes.

See you this fall in the IM Group :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Kudos