Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
Anybody going to the happy hour on Thursday?

New York Student-hosted Summer Event
Event Date:31 Jul 2008
Program Full-Time MBA

Description: As you consider your graduate school options, we encourage you to attend a Chicago GSB summer event. This event will be an informal get together with current students and is designed to give you a relaxing environment in which to learn more about the GSB MBA experience. No formal presentation is scheduled. Just relax, grab a drink and get to know the students of the Chicago GSB community. Join us from 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. We look forward to seeing you there!

Hosted By: GSB Students
Time: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Address: Greenwich Treehouse
46 Greenwich Avenue
(between Charles & Perry)
New York, New York 10011
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
hey kidderek, I think I may attend.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
hey kidderek, I think I may attend.

I'm 99% certain I will be there. Look for the guy fiddling with his new iphone :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I'd gone to the Happy hour in New York last December and I would highly recommend for anyone who plans to apply to Chicago to make it there. Helped me get some different perspectives.
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I thought it was an open event, just checked the e-mail and you have to register and it is full! grrrr ha maybe ill go to the bar and have a drink anyway:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
I thought it was an open event, just checked the e-mail and you have to register and it is full! grrrr ha maybe ill go to the bar and have a drink anyway:)

Go anyway. People are often no shows.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
arrggh missed it..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Anyone else really struggling with Essay Question #2? :(
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Anyone else really struggling with Essay Question #2? :(

Haven't started GSB essays yet, but that's going to be the toughest one I have to answer (out of all applications). Probably going with 2B, easier to come up with an example.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Chicago GSB Clears Hurdles for International Students Seeking Loans

The Chicago Graduate School of Business (GSB) remains committed to finding funding for all of its students, both domestic and international, despite recent changes to its lending partner programs. In fact, the loan application process may prove smoother than ever thanks to a new online system.

This according to Rosemaria Martinelli, Chicago GSB director of admissions and financial aid, who reached out to us here at Clear Admit in the hopes of clarifying any confusion that may have resulted from announcements earlier this month that Chicago has ended its program with lending partner IDAPP.

“We were immediately able to get another loan program for international students with very much the same terms,” she said. That program has been locked in, and Chicago GSB is now just finalizing the terms, Martinelli continued. She expects that an announcement regarding the new lender and program will go out sometime in early August.

The loan process on the international student’s end will be seamless, Martinelli continued. “My job is just to calm down those who need to take out loans,” she said. “There is a guaranteed loan for international students – just the vendor or lender name will change this year.”

And because the university will act as guarantor of the loan, students need simply provide some basic application information. It is not a credit-based loan at all, Martinelli said.

In fact, the changes to the program could bring some distinct advantages, Martinelli pointed out. “It’s actually going to be much easier because our new system will likely be all done online versus the paper-based application we had in the past,” she said. “I really can’t imagine that there will be any more hiccups applying for loans.”

Confusion around the lending issue may have stemmed from newspaper reports earlier this month suggesting that Chicago had lost its ability to fund international students, says Martinelli. “This is absolutely not true,” she stated emphatically.

What is true is this: Chicago learned at the end of June that its lending partner, the Illinois Designated Account Purchase Program (IDAPP), was unable to renew its own line of credit with a private lender due to disruptions in the capital markets, which means that Chicago is no longer able to provide graduate students with federal Stafford, Graduate PLUS and Alternative Loans through its partnership with IDAPP and the School as Lender Program as of fall quarter 2008.

This means that students who have applied for loans for the 2008-2009 school year through the university’s partnership with IDAPP need to look elsewhere in the marketplace to obtain loans from other lenders, with the guidance and support of the financial aid staff. “Domestic students are not really impacted because they have so many other options,” Martinelli said. But because international students have a unique set of challenges in finding resources to finance their education, Chicago GSB focused its attention on finding a replacement loan program for them, Martinelli continued.

And thanks to the quick work of the Chicago GSB financial aid team, that replacement loan program has already been found, Martinelli assured us. So prospective Chicago GSB students – both from the U.S. and elsewhere – can breathe a sigh of relief.

“Chicago GSB is definitely committed to finding funding for all our students regardless of citizenship,” she said, “because diversity is so important to us on so many levels as part of the education process.”

(Source: ClearAdmit)
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
2nd essay is a nightmare lol I must have some experiences but I am having a tough time mining one. I am just sitting here going through every part of my career and life. I hope this question isn't the reason I drop Chicago from my choices.
Current Student
Send PM
Haven't gotten to the Chicago essays yet - decided to start w/ Kellogg. Am not looking forward to question 2 though!

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
I just had my first "aha" moment of the application process thus far. These always seem to come when you're not in front of the computer and not drafting essays.

I think I have my topic for Chicago GSB essay #2!

Time to go out and celebrate.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Event sign-up is now available on the GSB Website: https://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/admissions/events/northamerica.aspx
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Quick question about #1. Since the question is "Why are you pursuing an MBA at this point in your career?", is anyone planning to include short and long-term career goals into their essay? I'm on the fence about this, one of my reviewers who is a rising 1st year says yes, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
yea I think you definitely should
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Quick question about #1. Since the question is "Why are you pursuing an MBA at this point in your career?", is anyone planning to include short and long-term career goals into their essay? I'm on the fence about this, one of my reviewers who is a rising 1st year says yes, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes I am. My plan is to include an overview of key professional experiences/accomplishments, then explain why i need it to achieve my short/long term goals. I'm going to spend more space talking about how an MBA in particular will be helpful but will have at least 1 parag on what the goals are....
hope this helps!
ac.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  95