Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos guys, that was very insightful. I understand Wharton a little better now.

Another thing I want to ask about is the Cohort system, how is it different from other schools where they breakdown classes into groups as well.

If roughly 800 people enroll every year. How many classes is that broken into? How many students in one class? How many cohorts in a class?

How often do they change cohorts?

Since NYC is not too far away, are you guys expected to go there alot for recruitment?

thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know where I can find Wharton's recommender questions for this years fall's application? I've had a look on thieir site but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
TheBigCheese wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find Wharton's recommender questions for this years fall's application? I've had a look on thieir site but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

The app gets released on Aug 8th, but I'm not sure where you can find last year's rec questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
TheBigCheese wrote:

Thanks

The app gets released on Aug 8th, but I'm not sure where you can find last year's rec questions.

Sorry I meant this year's recc Qs. I'm trying to give my recommenders a head start.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
fooFighter wrote:

Another thing I want to ask about is the Cohort system, how is it different from other schools where they breakdown classes into groups as well.

If roughly 800 people enroll every year. How many classes is that broken into? How many students in one class? How many cohorts in a class?

Since NYC is not too far away, are you guys expected to go there alot for recruitment?

thanks!

The cohort system is the way that Wharton tries to create a small school feel within the larger business school. Essentially the point is to take classes with 60 or so other students and build up relationships that way. There are three cohorts per cluster and four clusters, there are some core classes that are cluster based but on the whole you will be taking core classes with your cohort. Electives are cross cohort though. I can't speak for other schools. You don't change cohorts but what happens is that during pre-term and through clubs and other activities you form friendships across cohorts. Wharton organizes treks to NYC and some of the smaller NYC firms will ask you do to off-campus interviews i.e. go to New York. Trips to NYC seem to be part of the IB recruitment schedule and if I had to guess probably PE and VC as well although I am not sure.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ahhhhhhhh thanks dude

shmegs wrote:
fooFighter wrote:

thanks!

The cohort system is the way that Wharton tries to create a small school feel within the larger business school. Essentially the point is to take classes with 60 or so other students and build up relationships that way. There are three cohorts per cluster and four clusters, there are some core classes that are cluster based but on the whole you will be taking core classes with your cohort. Electives are cross cohort though. I can't speak for other schools. You don't change cohorts but what happens is that during pre-term and through clubs and other activities you form friendships across cohorts. Wharton organizes treks to NYC and some of the smaller NYC firms will ask you do to off-campus interviews i.e. go to New York. Trips to NYC seem to be part of the IB recruitment schedule and if I had to guess probably PE and VC as well although I am not sure.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys what did you do about essay 2. Setback/failure?

Did you write about some serious failure or just a setback?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
fooFighter wrote:
Guys what did you do about essay 2. Setback/failure?

Did you write about some serious failure or just a setback?

I think serious failure gives you more room for self-analysis, improvement and self-expression. So I'm thinking about only few biggest failures in my life.

But I'm in 2R so I will think about it seriously in September:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I happy to hear that Wharton still oriented on experienced, on international and on non-standart background guys. I decided Wharton be my first choice this authumn. HBS is definitely not my school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
jb32 wrote:
Hey, what optional essay do you guys plan to answer and why?

this may change once I start working on the essays themselves but for now, 4A - the one that asks about innovating/initiating. I have a couple of strong examples of things I've initiated and the lessons learned. I'm still trying to get a feel for whether the question is looking for examples from extracurriculars or from the workplace. My examples are from the workplace and may not be sufficient for what the W adcoms are looking for...

I'm also going to use the optional essay and explain poor performance in a couple of classes I took in undergrad and how I'm compensating in preparation for b-school....

cheers,
ac.

I agree. I think the innovation essay is the smarter choice. The optional essay should give enough room to cover areas that couldnt be adequately covered in the other essays. I dont see too much of a difference between the optional essay and 4b. Is there anything about your background or experience that you feel you have not had the opportunity to share with the Admissions Committee in your application? If yes, please explain. (500 words)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi !

Thanks you so much guy for all this very usefull information.

I'm in for R1 at Wharton for fall 2009
GMAT : 720
PE : 5years - Marketing

But I have a doubt about my age ... I'm from Western Europe and we arrive often later on job market than US citizen so I will celebrate my 30th birthday in two weeks ( already ...) !

I saw the average age is 28 and and I wonder in what extent it will be a negative point for me in my candidacy at wharton ?
Do you think I have any reasonable chance to enter any elite B-Schools with this age ?

Thanks for your help !
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
edwarise wrote:
I happy to hear that Wharton still oriented on experienced, on international and on non-standart background guys. I decided Wharton be my first choice this authumn. HBS is definitely not my school.

We're about to find out what Wharton is looking for now that there is a temporary dean of admissions (since Thomas Caleel left). I would think that not much has changed as far as what they're looking for (more work experiece vs less).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Although I am not applying to Wharton, I thought I would share a tidbit I heard last night at an MBA Presentation in which a Wharton Rep attended - she noted -

Wharton tries to interview 50% of applicants, but "it always ends up being a little higher because we get some many good apps."

Just a data point for all you applicants.

~Sam
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I personally think that number might be a tad misleading. I've heard through the grapevine that Wharton does interview a very high % of applicants simply to keep alumni involved in the admissions process. The admissions committee has no intentions of actually admitting several applicants being interviewed.

Just a rumor though, folks.

sam77sam7 wrote:
Although I am not applying to Wharton, I thought I would share a tidbit I heard last night at an MBA Presentation in which a Wharton Rep attended - she noted -

Wharton tries to interview 50% of applicants, but "it always ends up being a little higher because we get some many good apps."

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Does anyone know - does their app have a spot for mentioning family members (in my case, an uncle) that attended Wharton? Does that have any bearing on chances for admission?

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
The MBA Presentation I mentioned above - they also specifically said they pay absolutely ZERO weight on if your recommender, or relatives went to Wharton.

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

Sam, I was at the presentation in NY and I heard the number for wharton to be at 40% , although usually a little higher.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  67   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts