Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Lauder Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]
I think I PM'd you as well.
So how's your application going?
Are you done with the GMAT?
Are you planning a Lauder visit?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Do they have a Spanish track at Lauder? How fluent do you have to be? I was fluent 3 years ago when I lived in a Spanish speaking country... probably not so much now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I think I PM'd you as well.
:arrow: that's right ;)

So how's your application going?
:arrow: I have read the essay topics started brainstorming. And I have read everything I could about Wharton/Lauder. But I haven't written anything yet.

Are you done with the GMAT?
:arrow: My first and hopefully only attempt is on Monday

Are you planning a Lauder visit?
:arrow: No, I live in Ireland. That's too far for a visit.

I am also interested in the exchange with insead, but as a Lauder student one can only do so after graduation. I emailed the adcom last year about that. This means a total MBA program duration of 2.5 years. That's quite long and I'm 29 already.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
sudden wrote:
Do they have a Spanish track at Lauder? How fluent do you have to be? I was fluent 3 years ago when I lived in a Spanish speaking country... probably not so much now.

Of course there's a Spanish track. You don't have to be fluent, but need a decent command of the language. And there is a language test as part of your application. Check the website for more info.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
I hope that's okay if I copy/paste the following from the website.

https://lauder.wharton.upenn.edu/

Quote:
Joint Application
The Lauder MBA/MA program shares a joint application with the Wharton School’s MBA program. Lauder Admissions and Wharton MBA Admissions review applications in rounds. Lauder participates in rounds 1 and 2 only, since our program begins in early May. Application deadlines for the Class of 2011 are October 9, 2008, for Round 1 and January 8, 2009, for Round 2.

Language Requirements
The Lauder Institute offers advanced instruction in the following languages: Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. Candidates apply to one specific language group and its corresponding world region.

All applicants to Lauder must complete an oral proficiency interview (OPI) in their proposed language with Language Testing International (LTI). The OPI, which assesses oral-aural proficiency, is a 15-20 minute telephone conversation in the target language with a tester certified by the American Council of Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Language test ratings are valid for a single application cycle. (Re-applicants who applied in a previous year must repeat the OPI in the current admissions cycle in order to show maintenance or improvement in their language level.)

Quote:
International Experience
The Lauder Community is comprised of people devoted to International Studies. Most students entering the program have previous experience working, studying, or living outside the boundaries of their home countries. Approximately 1/3 of our students are non-US nationals.

Managing Two Degrees
Time is an asset, and learning to manage it is a valuable lesson you will use time and time again. Over 1,000 alumni have successfully met this challenge by completing the joint-degree program.

MA Research Requirement
A requirement for graduation, research projects and the MA research paper are both an integral part of the Lauder learning experience and a unique opportunity to pursue academic research.

Quote:
In addition to the Wharton MBA Admissions Re-application Procedures, Lauder requires that re-applicants complete the following:

1. Lauder Supplement to the Application - This form confirms the candidate's proposed language and region of study and provides the current oral proficiency interview rating (see no. 2 below). Information about language proficiency and international/cross-cultural experience is also provided on this form-please provide this information again, even if it is the same as a previous application. Any additional language study and international and cross-cultural experiences, since submission of a previous application, should be listed here.

2. Current Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) - A current OPI is necessary in order to ensure maintenance or improvement of language rating. (We regret that we cannot accept ratings from a previous admissions cycle.)

3. Lauder Essays - All applicants to the Lauder program are required to complete two Lauder essays:

Describe a cross-cultural experience in your adult life that was challenging to you. How did you meet this challenge and what did you learn from the experience? (1000 words)

Please explain why you are currently applying to Lauder. How do you expect the Wharton/Lauder joint-degree experience to benefit you on both a professional and personal level? (1,000 words)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
kudos -- thanks for the post.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sudden wrote:

I think you can take any combination of the following:
* Arabic
* Chinese
* French
* German
* Japanese
* Portuguese
* Russian
* Spanish

However, I think neither of the above languages can be your native language. For example, if you were born and raised in France, your parents speak French, and you went to school and university where the language of instruction was French, and you worked in France, then you cannot take up French at Lauder.

From my understanding, however, you can be a "heritage" speaker of a language. For example, you were born and raised in the US to parents who speak Mandarin Chinese and you can get around speaking the language but would like to develop your technical and business aspect of the language, then I think you can take up Chinese at Lauder.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I think that there is no combination. You must take one track but cannot take 2. Maybe you can take another language as an elective (can't find the info).

Other highlights:
:arrow:The program starts in May, ahead of the standard MBA program. May is spent at Penn and then there is a 2 month summer immersion, when students go to a country from their track.

:arrow: you must take certain Lauder electives and an MBA major (on top of the MBA core courses). I understand from Lauder's website that the workload is heavier than for "just" the MBA. But that's to be expected from a joint degree program.

As I said in a previous post, if you want to go on exchange to Insead, you must do so after graduation. Insead is, in my opinion , by far the best non-US program. It would make very much sense to encourage Lauder students to spend a term oversees as part of the MBA program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lumone wrote:
I think that there is no combination. You must take one track but cannot take 2. Maybe you can take another language as an elective (can't find the info).

Other highlights:
:arrow:The program starts in May, ahead of the standard MBA program. May is spent at Penn and then there is a 2 month summer immersion, when students go to a country from their track.

:arrow: you must take certain Lauder electives and an MBA major (on top of the MBA core courses). I understand from Lauder's website that the workload is heavier than for "just" the MBA. But that's to be expected from a joint degree program.

As I said in a previous post, if you want to go on exchange to Insead, you must do so after graduation. Insead is, in my opinion , by far the best non-US program. It would make very much sense to encourage Lauder students to spend a term oversees as part of the MBA program.

You're right about the language track - you can declare 1 language and take electives in as many other languages as you like.

I think the Lauder program is 24 months, and not 2.5 years. If you like INSEAD, why don't you apply there? There's quite a huge difference with the length of each program (one is 24 months and the other only 10 months), and as an INSEAD student, you can exchange a semester at Wharton.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
You actually answered the exact question I had! I am French and wanted to know if I could use my native language for the program.

It looks like you really need to know in advance that you would like to attend Lauder with that language requirement. I am sure that it is a terrific program though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
sarzan wrote:

I think the Lauder program is 24 months, and not 2.5 years. If you like INSEAD, why don't you apply there? There's quite a huge difference with the length of each program (one is 24 months and the other only 10 months), and as an INSEAD student, you can exchange a semester at Wharton.

Insead is the perfect program for me and I will definitly apply, but there is no guarantee of getting in.
2.5 years refers to Lauder/Wharton + going to insead for a term. Not sure if I want to do that. If I go for Wharton I would do either Lauder or go on exchange to insead.

Quote:
You actually answered the exact question I had! I am French and wanted to know if I could use my native language for the program.
It looks like you really need to know in advance that you would like to attend Lauder with that language requirement. I am sure that it is a terrific program though.

I am French too ;) . Do you talk another language? For me it's German and enjoyed the time I spent in Germany. I wouldn't mind living and working there again in the future. So, applying to Lauder makes sense.
Yes, you need to know in advance, even if you talk the track language well. You need to take the OPI test and write two 1,000 words essays for Lauder on top of the standard Wharton essays.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Hey another Frenchman!

I have took German in Middle School and High School but that's a while back. Have some knowledge of Hindi but that's it. English was my 1st foreign language in school.

D'ou est ce que tu viens? Tu es au Etas Unis ou en Europe?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
falibay wrote:
Hey another Frenchman!

I have took German in Middle School and High School but that's a while back. Have some knowledge of Hindi but that's it. English was my 1st foreign language in school.

D'ou est ce que tu viens? Tu es au Etas Unis ou en Europe?

If you visit the Lauder web site, you will find links to conversation pieces in different languages listed by proficiency level. If you feel you understand one of the tracks well enough, then maybe you should schedule an OPI and apply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
I took the gmat on Monday. Lauder institute and Wharton are two distinct choices of the schools you want to send you score too. I therefore chose both.

This was a bit weird.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lumone wrote:
I took the gmat on Monday. Lauder institute and Wharton are two distinct choices of the schools you want to send you score too. I therefore chose both.

This was a bit weird.

Congrats on the GMAT and thanks for the info. +1
GMAT Club Bot