Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: 2 button suit vs. 3 button suit [#permalink]
"Action" eh - I guess now I know what I've been doing wrong. It's obviously the lack of 2 side vents in my wardrobe ensemble.

kidderek wrote:
2 side vents = man of action
1 center vent = man of less action
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Either button configuration should work at your height. I'm fairly certain that extremely tall men should avoid 3-button suits due to the enormous amount of cloth that covers the torso (see the nba draft for some examples of this). You can also consider the 3/2 button roll where the suit has three buttons but the top button is a part of the lapel roll and is not meant to be buttoned.

Both navy and charcoal are classic colours. If you already have a charcoal suit then get a navy one.

Dual vents are considered more functional (less bunching when you sit down) but centre and ventless jackets are acceptable as well depending on your body type.

I don't know what you mean by "stitching on the front lapel." Do you mean hand-stitching on the lapel buttonhole?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I would go with your tailor, he sounds right to me.

By the way, a center vent always makes me think of a butler.

I also really don't like navy, I'm a classic black fan. I would skip the stitching though.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
highhopes wrote:

I also really don't like navy, I'm a classic black fan. I would skip the stitching though.

Isn't black reserved for funerals and posher events held at night?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I know this is obvious advice, but you really need to go with what looks the best on you. Try on different types/styles of suits and different colors. Bring an audience to solicit their opinions. For example, I have found that with my skin complexion that charcoal gray and any shade of brown looks great on me. There's nothing worse than having an awesome, well-cut, expensive suit, but the color looks horrible on you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Isn't black reserved for funerals and posher events held at night?

I thought it was only in the UK where black suits were considered funeral suits?

for women at least, black suits have been fine for work-wear...could be diff for guys :wink:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I Always go with 3.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Black suits are really not considered business attire - they do make you look like morticians and G-men.

Formal attire is something different. Yes black tie does call for black - but tuxedos rather than business suits. When events go super formal, attire shifts from black tie to white tie (coat and tails, and sometimes top hats and canes).

There's a well-known saying that you should never be remembered for what you wear in a business setting. You don't want to be wearing something so shabby that you stick out in a crowd; but you also don't want to be wearing stuff that is so expensive that the people recruiting you take note (I always leave the Rolex at home for recruiting events). In a recruiting setting, leave everything flashy at home (including but not limited to bright/fancy colors, french cuffs, shoes with buckles, suits with highly defined patterns or stripes, flashy shirts, and so on). I'm really just talking about attire for men; women have a lot more flexibility.

Going back to the black suit, it could cause you to stand out at a recruiting event. Many people will not notice, but there are definitely people that do not regard black suits as proper business attire. You want to do everything in your power to avoid getting dinged before you even open your mouth. Remember, it is never good to be remembered for your clothes at a recruiting event, no matter how good it sounds to you right no.
Manager
Manager
Status:Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
What are the accepted norms for vents?
I read that while single vent is more formal in USA, the double vent is more formal in UK! What about the suits without vent?

I was also wondering about the pleats on the pant. I prefer single pleat but read that, presently, only pleatless pants are formal!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Artemov wrote:
What are the accepted norms for vents?
I read that while single vent is more formal in USA, the double vent is more formal in UK! What about the suits without vent?

I was also wondering about the pleats on the pant. I prefer single pleat but read that, presently, only pleatless pants are formal!

Pleats come down to a preference issue.

I think pleats look "grandpa-style" pants, but that's just my opinion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I think a suit needs vents on the jacket, but I don't think the number matters. My suits are all 3 button, but my friend in the UK had the most awesome suit cut for him with 2 buttons (I want to get some, though the lining they insist on is floral and a bit... well... I don't really like it). No pleats on the pants though. Ever.

Try them on and see which suits best - it really doesn't matter between the two, more on which just looks best for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
I think a suit needs vents on the jacket, but I don't think the number matters. My suits are all 3 button, but my friend in the UK had the most awesome suit cut for him with 2 buttons (I want to get some, though the lining they insist on is floral and a bit... well... I don't really like it). No pleats on the pants though. Ever.

Try them on and see which suits best - it really doesn't matter between the two, more on which just looks best for you.

It's all about the gorge!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I have three suits, and all I did all summer was wear the pants. No need for the jackets, or the ties. That should eliminate one bank from the set I could have been at (where apparently a light blue shirt, rather than white, might be OK. On a Friday).
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I am going to go ahead and follow my tailors advice - Solid Navy, 2 buttons, 2 side vents.

I already have a 3 button in the closet, so it'll be nice to diversify a touch.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Does anyone have any pictures highlighting the difference between a pinstripe and a chalk stripe?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Does anyone have any pictures highlighting the difference between a pinstripe and a chalk stripe?

Don't get either.

Just got my new suit. Solid charcoal Zegna. Will wear with white shirt and red hermes power tie. Looks sharp as hell
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
terp06 wrote:

Don't get either.

Just got my new suit. Solid charcoal Zegna. Will wear with white shirt and red hermes power tie. Looks sharp as hell

I really like the fit of Zegna as well. I am a huge fan of the Hermes/Ferragamo/Vineyard Vines ties as well, but aren't they considered flashy for interviews? At least the ones with the animal/critter prints and what not?

I'm having a tough time deciding whether or not I want to go with a Zegna/Canali or a bespoke for my next suit. Regardless, I may personally just hold off on all of this until I get into a school and buy 3-4 suits prior to arriving on campus. The cheap Kenneth Cole may have to last one more season - at least it fits alright, I suppose.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5