Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink]
Agreed -

I actually wrote about a similar topic - becoming a teacher. I tied it into my ECs and how I seek to be a leader and teacher currently in some aspects of my life. Actually turned into a decent essay.

~Sam
Current Student
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
Well, it says goals that aren't what you established in question 1 (ST/LT goals), so I think it's safe to say that they want an answer more on the personal scale. At least that's my take on it.

That was my take on it too. I don't think they are asking the question to trap someone ("Hey! Because you said a non-MBA career, I'm not letting you in!!").

I agree that one should be careful to not phrase the essay in a way that suggests you'd RATHER pursue those goals.

Plus, talking about a real experience is going to be MUCH more valuable than something less concrete.

Thanks guys.

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
You could always say if money were no concern (which it won't be after an MBA from Ross of course) I would indulge a passion in building boats I inherited from my great grandfather who was a sailor on the high seas in the time of Lord Nelson et cetera. You get the "drift" (get it?).

:)

refurb wrote:
YihWei wrote:
Well, it says goals that aren't what you established in question 1 (ST/LT goals), so I think it's safe to say that they want an answer more on the personal scale. At least that's my take on it.

That was my take on it too. I don't think they are asking the question to trap someone ("Hey! Because you said a non-MBA career, I'm not letting you in!!").

I agree that one should be careful to not phrase the essay in a way that suggests you'd RATHER pursue those goals.

Plus, talking about a real experience is going to be MUCH more valuable than something less concrete.

Thanks guys.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [1]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Kudos
solaris1 wrote:
You could always say if money were no concern (which it won't be after an MBA from Ross of course) I would indulge a passion in building boats I inherited from my great grandfather who was a sailor on the high seas in the time of Lord Nelson et cetera. You get the "drift" (get it?).

:)

Whatever floats your boat :rotate
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Ha...who says MBAs don't have a sense of humor.
Current Student
 Q49  V45
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
refurb wrote:
Just so everyone knows, you can register for a visit to Ross now!!

I'll be there on September 25th!!

I'm still deciding between the 25th and the 26th. The 26th works so much better since I'm flying in from the West Coast but that happy hour on the 25th is calling to me...Oh yeah, class visits too on the 25th! :rotate

Wooooooooo! I'm in for Thursday the 25th. I'll be the guy in the maize and blue striped dress shirt!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Has anyone started on Ross essay #3?
Here is the question "If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1, what profession would you pursue instead? (for example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multi-disciplinary problems?"

I can write the answer to the 1st part, but struggling with the 2nd part. What does it mean by multi-disciplinary problems? How can a person with alternate profession such as athlete, musician solve such problems effectively? What exactly is the school looking in the answer?
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Anyone else's ass getting kicked by essay question 3?

3. If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1, what profession would you pursue instead? (For example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multidisciplinary problems?

I've done two different essays and I think they both suck:

1. Talked about my graduate school experience teaching an undergrad lab.
Pros: Can talk about actual experience (leadership, communication, innovation, etc) that would be useful in solving MD problems.
Con: Will I give the adcom's the impression I should be a teacher instead of going for an MBA?

2. Talked about a hobby (cars) and extended that to a fantasy career of a professional race car driver.
Pros: Avoid the issue of "he shouldn't be doing an MBA". (Since the alternate career is obviously a fantasy)
Cons: The connection between the hobby and MD problem solving skills is weak.

I've heard that the safe route is to pick a career that is closely linked with your post-MBA career goals that also requires an MBA. However, that seems really weak too and I think the adcoms will see right through it. At least option #2 above gives some insight into me as a person (passions/hobbies).

I've read three different consultants views on the question and it's not any clearer on what I should pursue.
Vibranture
Clear Admit
Stacy Blackman

Anyone care to comment?

RF

Exactly my problem.. I had posted this question in the main MBA application forum but didn't get any responses. So, I posted it in this forum again and then I saw your post. How can careers such as musicians, chess player help solve multi disciplinary problems? Also, why would you care about solving multi-disciplinary problems if you are a musician or an athlete? If I pursue a completely different profession, say musician, I wouldn't go to business school. If I become a musician, my goal would be to entertain people. How can my ability to play musical instruments or perform in a concert contribute to solving multi-disciplinary problems?
I am confused.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
aakashganga wrote:
Exactly my problem.. I had posted this question in the main MBA application forum but didn't get any responses. So, I posted it in this forum again and then I saw your post. How can careers such as musicians, chess player help solve multi disciplinary problems? Also, why would you care about solving multi-disciplinary problems if you are a musician or an athlete? If I pursue a completely different profession, say musician, I wouldn't go to business school. If I become a musician, my goal would be to entertain people. How can my ability to play musical instruments or perform in a concert contribute to solving multi-disciplinary problems?
I am confused.

I think I've got a better grasp on the question now that I'd had some time to think about it.

I think the ideal content for this question would be an extra-curricular activity that you have a real passion for. Something that you can relate your experience to when it comes to solving multi-disciplinary problems. For example, if you volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, you could say your alternate career would be a home builder. You could then talk about the leadership you needed to show when you volunteered.

As to skills useful in solving MD problems, think "soft" skills like communication, persuasion, organization, motivation, vision, innovation, etc.

You don't have to go for the grand slam. I think this question also tests your ability to relate your personal experiences to the "bigger picture". Going back to the Habitat for Humanity example: If you were working on a bathroom remodel and people were getting in each others way, maybe you organized the work so it was done more efficiently? That would fall under leadership and organization. Those are both skills that would be useful in solving MD problems.

I think you need to focus less on what the alternate career is and more on the day-to-day skills you show when you pursue it. For example, if you had a musical skill you could talk about the leadership you showed when you tried to organize practice sessions.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
aakashganga wrote:
I am confused.

I think I've got a better grasp on the question now that I'd had some time to think about it.

I think the ideal content for this question would be an extra-curricular activity that you have a real passion for. Something that you can relate your experience to when it comes to solving multi-disciplinary problems. For example, if you volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, you could say your alternate career would be a home builder. You could then talk about the leadership you needed to show when you volunteered.

As to skills useful in solving MD problems, think "soft" skills like communication, persuasion, organization, motivation, vision, innovation, etc.

You don't have to go for the grand slam. I think this question also tests your ability to relate your personal experiences to the "bigger picture". Going back to the Habitat for Humanity example: If you were working on a bathroom remodel and people were getting in each others way, maybe you organized the work so it was done more efficiently? That would fall under leadership and organization. Those are both skills that would be useful in solving MD problems.

I think you need to focus less on what the alternate career is and more on the day-to-day skills you show when you pursue it. For example, if you had a musical skill you could talk about the leadership you showed when you tried to organize practice sessions.

RF

But, then I thought you never answered how you would solve the multi-disciplinary problems. 2nd part of the question asks "How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multi-disciplinary problems?" As a musician what MD problems will I solve? I might be able to answer how based on the leadership skills I have shown lets say in arranging practice sessions. or is it that answering what MD problems is irrelevant?
Current Student
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
But, then I thought you never answered how you would solve the multi-disciplinary problems. 2nd part of the question asks "How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multi-disciplinary problems?" As a musician what MD problems will I solve? I might be able to answer how based on the leadership skills I have shown lets say in arranging practice sessions. or is it that answering what MD problems is irrelevant?

I think this is a poorly written question, so your confusion (and mine) is understandable.

Apparently they took out parts of the question that were in there last year. Did you read the links to the admission consultants blogs that I posted above? They are helpful in getting a sense of what the question is asking.

The MD problems they talk about relate back to the MAP projects. So what the question is actually saying is:

What skills have you obtained through your alternate interests and how will they contribute to your effectiveness during a MAP project?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

I think this is a poorly written question, so your confusion (and mine) is understandable.

Apparently they took out parts of the question that were in there last year. Did you read the links to the admission consultants blogs that I posted above? They are helpful in getting a sense of what the question is asking.

The MD problems they talk about relate back to the MAP projects. So what the question is actually saying is:

What skills have you obtained through your alternate interests and how will they contribute to your effectiveness during a MAP project?

RF

Yes I read those. So, does that mean the answer to 'What MD problems' is not relevant here?
Here is how I was trying to write this essay.

Para 1 - what alternate profession
Para 2 - Why this alternate profession
Para 3 - skill 1 & 2 learned though this alternate interest will help solve MD problem X.
Para 4 - skill 3 & 4 learned though this alternate interest will help solve MD problem Y.
Current Student
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Yes I read those. So, does that mean the answer to 'What MD problems' is not relevant here?

Para 3 - skill 1 & 2 learned though this alternate interest will help solve MD problem X.
Para 4 - skill 3 & 4 learned though this alternate interest will help solve MD problem Y.

OK, I see what you're getting at now. I think you have two options. Talk about specific MD problems you can solve, or talk about MD problems in general (which I think is an easier approach).

What MD problems were you thinking of talking about? I think that might be pretty hard to do.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

OK, I see what you're getting at now. I think you have two options. Talk about specific MD problems you can solve, or talk about MD problems in general (which I think is an easier approach).

What MD problems were you thinking of talking about? I think that might be pretty hard to do.

RF

Hehe... I was struggling with talking about specific problems, but I thought the adcom wanted me to talk about a few MD problems...

Your approach seems right.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
This may seem like a silly question, but the essay instructions say, "Use at least 11pt font and 1.5 inch spacing." Does this mean use 1.5 inch spacing or use at least 1.5 inch spacing?

Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:

I'm going to take the latter latter approach as well.
Current Student
Send PM
Just signed up for the Ross event on 9/29 in Marina del Rey. Hope to see some of the SoCal gmatclub crew there!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66