Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
VP
VP
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
I have liked everything about Stern so far - it has the least "douchebaggy" MBA students I've ever met

That's quite a compliment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
it has the least "douchebaggy" MBA students I've ever met - so I'm going to take my chances.

Haha, I love that comment! I had the same feeling when visiting schools. For MC, they seem to have an active group: https://nyustern-mca.ecampusgroups.com/ ... r=1&id=162. We have the club expo tomorrow so I'll update the forum if I don't see a MC club there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
jsnooky33 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
it has the least "douchebaggy" MBA students I've ever met - so I'm going to take my chances.

Haha, I love that comment! I had the same feeling when visiting schools. For MC, they seem to have an active group: https://nyustern-mca.ecampusgroups.com/ ... r=1&id=162. We have the club expo tomorrow so I'll update the forum if I don't see a MC club there.

Please do~ :-D
I just need that final confirmation before deciding to go down the path of applying
VP
VP
They do have an MC club at Stern now, what I said earlier was that the MCA is a relatively new student group founded mainly due to the efforts of the MBA classes of '08 and '09. Compare that to MC clubs at other schools that have been around for much longer.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Please refrain from using 'returns' and/or tab keys to format your answer as it may result in a loss of text.

Does that mean we just write the activities straight across? That would look weird.
VP
VP
That's how I read it, too. Just make them separate sentences in a paragraph.

kidderek wrote:
Please refrain from using 'returns' and/or tab keys to format your answer as it may result in a loss of text.
Does that mean we just write the activities straight across? That would look weird.

By the way, did Stern stop offering class visits and lunches with current students for Fall 2009? The application has gone live, but none of this appears on the admissions website anymore. I swear it was still around during the summer.

That's not good.

Also, anyone here think it's worthwhile to mention the names of Langone alumni you've spoken to while researching academics at Stern?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
By the way, did Stern stop offering class visits and lunches with current students for Fall 2009? The application has gone live, but none of this appears on the admissions website anymore. I swear it was still around during the summer.

That's not good.

Also, anyone here think it's worthwhile to mention the names of Langone alumni you've spoken to while researching academics at Stern?

My guess would be that they haven't set up the process yet. From what I remember, they didn't offer a lunch, but a coffee.
VP
VP
Does NYU do an official (a la KWEST@Kellogg) or unofficial (like Columbia's "World Tour") pre-MBA trip for the incoming class?
I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I was just curious.

Also, any ideas on whether submitting before the R1 deadline will lead to a somewhat faster turnaround on the interview/ding notification? From what I can gather, an interview invite is a huge thing and most people interviewed end up getting offers. True?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Solaris - No, they don't. Maybe they don't want to add $3k to the bill upfront, but I have never been certain why not. Summer Start might be part of the reason (it would force them out of those events)
VP
VP
Thanks 3underscore, you've got a PM by the way. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
For any minorities, they are now taking applications for the Discover Stern Weekend and the deadline is September 5th. I attended last year and it is really a great event and gives ample opportunity to interact with the admissions officers, current students and faculty. It's 3 days long and each day is full of events. Last year a bunch of students even hosted a party at a decent nightclub in NY and you really got the chance to hang out with them outside of school. So if you want something beyond the typical school and class visit this is definitely it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
FYI,

I'm a first year MBA going through recruiting right now....here are my limited tips available to you for

*Minorities should consider applying through Consortium since you can get accepted and possible a full scholarship. (also can apply to other schools too very cheaply.)

*Career switchers should look at the Industry Mentoring Initiative program (https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/initiatives/imi.cfm?doc_id=6912). You are paired with a profession in the field usually at a pretty good firm/bank.

*Management Consulting should look at Stern Consulting Corps. Team with a firm during the 2nd semester. The benefits you'll reap are usually too late to make it into your recruiting calendar but you'll be better prepared for your summer internship opportunity.

*Marketing/Brand Management/EMT is huge here...LA treks (twice a year I believe) and a very active club.

Also, some interesting points...

*All students are organized into blocks with assigned core class study groups.
*Clubs meet during lunch to prepare students for recruiting and also hold brown bag sessions with top firms/companies who recruit on campus
*Stern conducts interviews (IB especially) before second semester starts...huge advantage in my opinion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
All-

In your essay 1, are you addressing the Why Stern? question anywhere? Their essay asks for a why mba, but they dont seem to be interested in the why stern aspect of things..is that bettern answered by question 2a?

Where do you state what classes you want to take, programs you want to participate in..?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
navy01 wrote:
FYI,

I'm a first year MBA going through recruiting right now....here are my limited tips available to you for

*Minorities should consider applying through Consortium since you can get accepted and possible a full scholarship. (also can apply to other schools too very cheaply.)

*Career switchers should look at the Industry Mentoring Initiative program (https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/initiatives/imi.cfm?doc_id=6912). You are paired with a profession in the field usually at a pretty good firm/bank.

*Management Consulting should look at Stern Consulting Corps. Team with a firm during the 2nd semester. The benefits you'll reap are usually too late to make it into your recruiting calendar but you'll be better prepared for your summer internship opportunity.

*Marketing/Brand Management/EMT is huge here...LA treks (twice a year I believe) and a very active club.

Also, some interesting points...

*All students are organized into blocks with assigned core class study groups.
*Clubs meet during lunch to prepare students for recruiting and also hold brown bag sessions with top firms/companies who recruit on campus
*Stern conducts interviews (IB especially) before second semester starts...huge advantage in my opinion.

Great info!

Congrats again on making it in off the WL!!! Hope Stern is treating you well and keep us posted on your progress.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
So where's everybody? I presume the late R1 due date is the reason for the lull in the Stern thread.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
So where's everybody? I presume the late R1 due date is the reason for the lull in the Stern thread.

I'm in for RD1 but as you mentioned it's pretty late, so I'm focused on most of the October apps right now.
VP
VP
I'm starting to think about the essays - 2(b) is really giving me a hard time. Last year's thread seemed to suggest that submitting before the actual deadlines resulted in a somewhat quicker decision. I am going to try and target submission by November 1.

Kidderek, are you trying Cornell again this year?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19