Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Management Consulting
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is a WONDERFUL thread for us 2008-ers who are panicking and wondering if we will get dinged across the board. No, it doesn't mean that we should slack off, but hopefully rhyme and pelihu's excellent (though un-scientific) analysis of GMAT scores, acceptance rates, and yields will help you sleep better at night.

Thanks rhyme and pelihu! You definitely made MY day! :thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here are some posts transplanted from the "2007 Chicago GSB Applicants" thread here to seed the new discussion... If anyone wants to calculate some other schools' rates, please feel free to do so ;) I might give some of them a try when I get some time.

kryzak wrote:
I'm wondering, if they say roughly 50% of all applications are "junk" either because of the essays, recommendations or grades/GMAT, that means the acceptance rate for all the top schools are roughly doubled for people like us who are spending time revising and editing our essays over a period of months. If our GMAT/GPA are pretty decent, and our recommenders know to write very specific examples, and we don't bomb our interviews (since supposedly doing well in interviews doesn't change that much), then we probably have a 40% chance of admission to the top 15 schools.

Yes, it's a rough sketch and there are some amazing candidates out there, but in the end, most of each class in all the top 15 schools are probably "normal" over-achievers like ones we find here on GMATClub. Not everyone can be Iraq veterans, Olympic medalists, or Orphanage leaders...

Just a thought.

mNeo wrote:
Playing with percentages can give us a false sense of security. So, lets take a specific example. Let's take Kellogg. Assume that there are 4000 applicants and 960 get acceptance - giving a 24% acceptance rate.

Also assume that profiles of 50% of applications are weak in one or more areas. So, 960 applicants get accepted out of 2000 applicants who have good work-history, GMAT/GPA, recommendations, essays and interviews .. i.e. overall strong profiles. From a percentage point of view, we have a 48% chance of getting selected, which seems very high. But from a sheer numbers point of view, we have to beat 1040 very strong applicants (Who, just like you, do not lack in any area) to get accepted.

So, turning a 48% chance into a 100% chance of getting selected by the time your application gets reviewed is a hell lot more difficult than turning your 24% chance into a 48% chance.

dosa_don wrote:
kind of odd to hijack GSB's thread to discuss K but here goes:

Latest "Facts and Figures" for K:

https://kellogg.northwestern.edu/admissi ... 07_web.pdf

Well does not look like a huge jump in number of applicants to me: around 100 more overall when compared to 06 (around 70 in the 2Y and MMM pool). I am not sure about the acceptance % but the GMAT score bands are interesting.

I did the same analysis as Rhyme and came up with this.

640- = 12% acceptance
650-690 - 18%
700-740 - 27%
750+ - 30%
So what it shows I think is that over 700, your GMAT score does not really matter much.

I would take this as just a directional analysis. I assumed yields of 80%, 70%, 60% and 50%. Came up with a total of 961 admits and 589 enrolled (~62% yield).

kryzak wrote:
dosa: you should look at pelihu's analysis with the yield numbers. It makes sense and is supported by good logic. With that yield, your 700+ acceptance rates should go up to 40-50%.

mNeo: You are correct, competing against the 2000 applicants will require us to be better at essays, recommendations, and interviews. That's why I said this is just to help us sleep better at night, but doesn't mean our work is over! ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: GMAT Scores, Yield, and Selectivity (for Kellogg) [#permalink]
Heres a spreadsheet summary of a lot of whats been said in this thread:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... Siew&hl=en
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Google spreadsheets? :roll: Seriously...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
nothing wrong with Google Spreadsheets... the ability to share and edit is great! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
guys,

:pray
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, IM
Schools:HBS, Wharton, Booth
 Q49  V37
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
This may be mentioned elsewhere, but if you wanted to further break down personal odds, you could take percent accepted for each industry (and perhaps ethnicity) and then reverse analyze it for yield etcetera. The only problem that you have there is that you don't know what the GMAT score standard per industry is. From what I understand, Finance requires a higher GMAT than, say, peace corps dude because 1) you have a very large pool of applicants (assuming finance/business undergrads want and MBA...which is likely) and 2) that pool is made up of a very large amount of Ivy league, high GPA people.

Now, if you look at military, which is what I care about, you see a pool of 3% of accepted folk for Harvard. I think that goes to about 36 people. you assume of those, most are Ivy or Academy grads, but odds are their GMAT scores might not look very much like the investment bankers' pool.

This is mostly a known unknown. You can't know what your pool averages on the GMAT because that data isn't available, but it definitely should reinforce the idea that GMAT is no the only aspect of an application. If you're IT, you aren't competing against the pool of investment bankers, which isn't competing against engineers, etc, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
mr_gondola wrote:
This may be mentioned elsewhere, but if you wanted to further break down personal odds, you could take percent accepted for each industry (and perhaps ethnicity) and then reverse analyze it for yield etcetera. The only problem that you have there is that you don't know what the GMAT score standard per industry is. From what I understand, Finance requires a higher GMAT than, say, peace corps dude because 1) you have a very large pool of applicants (assuming finance/business undergrads want and MBA...which is likely) and 2) that pool is made up of a very large amount of Ivy league, high GPA people.

Now, if you look at military, which is what I care about, you see a pool of 3% of accepted folk for Harvard. I think that goes to about 36 people. you assume of those, most are Ivy or Academy grads, but odds are their GMAT scores might not look very much like the investment bankers' pool.

This is mostly a known unknown. You can't know what your pool averages on the GMAT because that data isn't available, but it definitely should reinforce the idea that GMAT is no the only aspect of an application. If you're IT, you aren't competing against the pool of investment bankers, which isn't competing against engineers, etc, etc.

Could this also mean that they have quota per industry?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
sng wrote:
Could this also mean that they have quota per industry?

Definitely do, for the sake of diversity, these top schools can't have all IBs or all consultants in the same class, even though the schools claim there are many different ways to inject diversity.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
How in the world did this thread get resurrected? lol....

Tue Sep 05, 2006

Almost the two year anniversary of it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q48  V27
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
How in the world did this thread get resurrected? lol....

Tue Sep 05, 2006

Almost the two year anniversary of it!

Resurrected again...... :lol:

Just gone through the thread. Are there any other threads for other b-schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Rhyme

Amazing analysis ... everyone here is freakish I guess

good to see these analysis ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:UCLA (Applied), ROss (Applied), UNC (Waitlisted), Emory (Waitlisted). mcCombs (Waitlisted), kellogg (Interviewed), Haas (Ding)
GMAT 2: 650 GMAT 3: 730
Send PM
hey guys...any pattern analysis for gmat scores, yield and selectivity for the past two recession years.....this thread is again revived :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2