Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: How Many Work For A Small Company? [#permalink]
Depending on the strenght of the brand name of the company you work for, it may also be worth it to devote a few words in one of your essays talking about why you chose that company instead of a larger/better known one. It may help explain the lesser brand...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I worked at a small high-tech company of 15 employees for 4 years. In those 4 years I worked in sales, operations, and engineering. In fact, I was promoted to operations manager of the company after only 1 year (the old ops mgr quit and they put me in to plug the hole) and it was a hell of a learning experience. I'm able to draw a lot out of this experience for my essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I worked for a small strategy consulting firm (5 employees including me) and the guy who interviewed me (LBS) actually said it's a good way to differentiate myself from all the applicants who worked for the big consulting firms. Though I must say that I did work for one of the major consulting forms for 1.5 years before moving to the small one.

Still, working for a small firm should not hurt you in any way as long as it comes across as a professional places (something like Bob's Business would probably not be too favorable).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm glad that the consensus is that it won't hurt. As some of the other posters mentioned, I definitely have some great stories for essays from this company. Working at a smaller company gives you many opportunities to show initative and make an impact on your company. So, I guess if you make the most of the opportunities available to you that should counterbalance the effect of having a no name company on your resume. It would also be nice if some adcom members saw it as a differentiator, as some have metnioned.

I wonder if the adcom would take the time to look at the company website for a small firm they'd never heard of? Or would they just rely on the info in the data forms and resume, which describe your company and responsibilities pretty completely.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
when it comes to whether u are a potential admit I'm sure they'll look into your companys website if they haven't heard of it.
Current Student
Send PM
tmino wrote:
when it comes to whether u are a potential admit I'm sure they'll look into your companys website if they haven't heard of it.

That's interesting. I was thinking they wouldn't. I mean they must not know the company names for a third of their applicants - international companies, small companies, companies in niche industries, etc, etc. It would seem like checking the website for all those companies would be a lot of work when your resume and data forms already explain your company and responsibilities. Plus, they still have to read a 20 page application with essays, recs, transcripts, data forms, resume, etc.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
tmino wrote:

That's interesting. I was thinking they wouldn't. I mean they must not know the company names for a third of their applicants - international companies, small companies, companies in niche industries, etc, etc. It would seem like checking the website for all those companies would be a lot of work when your resume and data forms already explain your company and responsibilities. Plus, they still have to read a 20 page application with essays, recs, transcripts, data forms, resume, etc.

This doesn't surprise me. They obviously won't have the time to check these out for everyone, but if they are getting ready to admit someone, it only makes sense. If I was an Adcom and I was about to admit someone, I would not only check out the website of their company, but I would also do a google search and facebook search for the person.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Schools arent nearly as obsessive about checking people as companies are. I dont think many facebook and myspace pages get checked by adcoms but they definitely are reviewed by companies. They may google the name of a company of an admit to see if it exists but I dont think they are going to dig too deeply due to time constraints. That said, I think you would be shocked at where people worked prior to school...there are certain companies and industries that feed the top schools. Especially the very very top schools where its an even smaller selection of companies feeding the schools.

That said sometimes being in a small place is better than being in a mid size company. You can show greater impact and since both wont have the brand of a top consulting company or bulge bracket bank, having the ability to sell your importance is a good thing to have. During your interview, you may definitely have to answer more questions about your company than someone who sat down with BCG on their resume.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I work for a small company as well, about 15 people.

I feel it gives me the opportunity to take on different roles, and not be so narrowly defined.

Hopefully AdComs will feel the same way!

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
riverripper wrote:
Schools arent nearly as obsessive about checking people as companies are. I dont think many facebook and myspace pages get checked by adcoms but they definitely are reviewed by companies...

I don't understand what the big deal is with companies searching facebook, etc. If you have your profile set to private/only friends, then they will only be able to see your profile picture, networks, location, etc. Even if you have the least private settings, only people in your network can see your profile. Am I missing something?
Current Student
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Schools arent nearly as obsessive about checking people as companies are. I dont think many facebook and myspace pages get checked by adcoms but they definitely are reviewed by companies...

I don't understand what the big deal is with companies searching facebook, etc. If you have your profile set to private/only friends, then they will only be able to see your profile picture, networks, location, etc. Even if you have the least private settings, only people in your network can see your profile. Am I missing something?

I think the issue comes if you don't have your profile set to private/only friends; then there is a high risk that random strangers can see photos of you, read about your interests, etc and if there's something off-color there, use that as a reson towards a ding. For a corporate example: I know my company regularly does facebook searches of prospective hires (we hired around 700 recent grads this summer) and they have an unofficial rule that if they see pictures of the Prospective in stages of drunkenness, smoking weed, etc, that person is dinged.

If the profile is locked down such that someone googling can't read it/see photos of you, you should be fine.
Current Student
Send PM
Also out of curiosity, how are people defining "small company"? less than 1000 employees? by revenue?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Also out of curiosity, how are people defining "small company"? less than 1000 employees? by revenue?

I was curious about this as well. I thought that I worked for a fairly small company, but we still have 2000+ employees and $100M+ in revenue. Would this technically be considered a "mid-sized" or "middle-market" company? My guess is yes, but different people have different definitions. I think many bankers consider companies with under > $500M and < $1-2B of revenue to be middle-market, but would consider companies of my size to be "small".
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

I was curious about this as well. I thought that I worked for a fairly small company, but we still have 2000+ employees and $100M+ in revenue. Would this technically be considered a "mid-sized" or "middle-market" company? My guess is yes, but different people have different definitions. I think many bankers consider companies with under > $500M and < $1-2B of revenue to be middle-market, but would consider companies of my size to be "small".

I think your company would be considered midsize, especially in LA.

The companies mentioned by sam, soni and raabenb (and my company) would be small. I would think most MBA applicants that are from small companies are coming from boutique consulting firms (financial, tech, or mgmt consulting) with under 100 employees.

I wonder whether adcoms consider the region you're coming from when they look at your company. LA, for example, is made up almost entirely of small to mid size companies. We have less than 5 Fortune 500 companies headquartered here and even the big companies (say a regional office of a bulge bracket) have small offices. If you are in finance or consulting in LA working at a small to mid size company is pretty common.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
terp06 wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

I think your company would be considered midsize, especially in LA.

The companies mentioned by sam, soni and raabenb (and my company) would be small. I would think most MBA applicants that are from small companies are coming from boutique consulting firms (financial, tech, or mgmt consulting) with under 100 employees.

I wonder whether adcoms consider the region you're coming from when they look at your company. LA, for example, is made up almost entirely of small to mid size companies. We have less than 5 Fortune 500 companies headquartered here and even the big companies (say a regional office of a bulge bracket) have small offices. If you are in finance or consulting in LA working at a small to mid size company is pretty common.

I agree. I would hope that adcoms realize this for the LA folks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
so on the flip question, is working for a big company a positive? i work for a fortune10 ..and its hard to show the kind of leadership one can have in a small company. I think working for a small company is better than in a fortune10..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
I worked for both, a small (25 people) and large (6000) company.

Both experiences are very very very different. For me personally, a smaller company gives you more meat for your essays. Its hard to demonstrate impact and leadership within a large company. At the big company, they are so stringent with so many rules and regulations to the extent that when I am cc'd on emails going out to clients, the people in the cc list are listed in order of rank. its retarded sometimes.

The smaller company was a lot of fun. A lot more casual to say the least. I was also given more and bigger responsibilities and promoted in just over a year to a team lead role. The same role would take an average employee at the big company about 4-7 years to achieve.

From a business school application point of view, a smaller company gives you more material to discuss. It also provides you with more intimate recommenders.

As for the big company, I highly doubt the AdComm would have ever heard of my company, even though we are the world leaders at what we do, with global presence, and about $4 billion in annual revenue (my department of 160 generates $80 million). I feel the AdComm may know the general Fortune 100 companies, but not the niche companies, even if they are quite large.

I am also requesting my previous boss from my previous small company job to be one of my recommenders.
I still haven't figured out if I made the right move in moving to the big company. I guess only time will tell.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2