Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
Dunno, but it stands to reason that it's a big edge. If you're nervous about your chances of getting in anywhere else, it might be a good idea. But consider what happens if you don't get in... UNC's a great school, but not quite a Duke or Darden (or certainly Kellogg). If that's the tier you're shooting for, and don't get in UNC EA, then you're probably certain to be rejected at those other places. But if it's between UNC and, say, Babcock, then I say EA your way to being a tarheel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:UNC class of 2010
Send PM
Hey Guys,
I chose between Duke and UNC last year and ended up at Kenan-Flagler and could not be happier...minus all the tests, group projects, presentations etc! Anyway, if you have any questions about KFBS then let me know and I'll get back to you.
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
Hey Guys,
I chose between Duke and UNC last year and ended up at Kenan-Flagler and could not be happier...minus all the tests, group projects, presentations etc! Anyway, if you have any questions about KFBS then let me know and I'll get back to you.

UNC and Duke are two of my top three choices. What were the factors that made you ultimately choose UNC over Duke? How successful is UNC's Career Management Center at placing "career switchers" in the industry of their choice? How well does UNC place into management consulting and general management? I've seen the list of recruiters and the employment statistics, but it's always very helpful to hear the perspective of a current student. Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well I have a strong biotech background so I am interested in working in biotech VC or in biz dev at a major biotech/pharma company after graduation. UNC has what is called the Carolina Venture Fellows program or CVF. Its an interesting program and much easier way to break into VC. Additionally, I am also very interested in working for Genentech and they have started recruiting on campus here. Those two factors along with the fact that I really enjoy the school and CH (Durham is much different even though its 10 miles away) lead me to choose UNC.

If you want to break into MC you will have plenty of opportunities here. McK, bcg, bain, deloitte, Kurt Sakmon, ZS, Campbell Alliance, and im sure a few more I am not thinking of all recruit on campus. There is a really strong support group here for people who want to break into mc. In fact this weekend there is an alumni MC event where a bunch of KFBS alums in the major firms are back in town to talk to prospectives and play golf etc.. Also, they really prep you for the interviews here, they have a mandatory 25 mock case interviews before you do the real deal.

As far as general management, that’s well, general. You can see on the website all the firms that come to recruit. Also, as far as career switching, nearly everyone I have met is a career switcher, including me and I don’t anticipate problems getting a job even in a recession. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I'm actually thinking of applying to UNC either R2 or R3. I'm in the pharma industry right now and from what I can gather on the website, the school attracts a pretty impressive list of pharma/biotech companies.

Am I right to assume that UNC wants official transcripts as a part of your app? You can't just provide a copy?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Am I right to assume that UNC wants official transcripts as a part of your app? You can't just provide a copy?
RF

Never mind, they make it quite clear on their website that you MUST submit OFFICIAL transcripts with your app.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
MBA Hunter - Thanks for the helpful reply! I definitely agree that Chapel Hill is a much better place to live for a few years than Durham. From what I hear, a lot of Duke grad students actually drive to Chapel Hill to go out because the night life is better.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thats very true, in fact we just had a UNC/duke MBA mixer on franklin st Friday night, were going to Durham for a similar thing this thursday.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
UNC-KF is definitely one of my top schools; I'm planning on applying either ED or R1. I'll be visiting during the week of Columbus Day on my Magical MBA Tour 2008
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Does anyone know if UNC's EA is truly binding? The EA statement doesn't specifically state that an applicant must withdraw other applications if admitted to UNC. I emailed the AdCom about it but I haven't heard back yet. I just want to make sure I don't unintentionally commit to something that is truly binding.

I think the EA statement at UNC is pretty vague. Columbia is ED and definitely binding, yet Duke uses EA to describe a binding application, while Tuck is specifically a non-binding EA application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If you put down your early deposit of 2500 Jan 2 and decide to go somewhere else, then all you would lose out on is the 2500. Unless you are sure that UNC is your top choice, then there is no reason to do ED. The real R1 is where they will make most of their admits.
Current Student
Send PM
Am I reading the website right? You can't schedule an interview unless you pay the $135 fee up front?

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
yes thats true!

refurb wrote:
Am I reading the website right? You can't schedule an interview unless you pay the $135 fee up front?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
yes thats true!

refurb wrote:

RF

Why are they doing that? To prevent people who aren't that serious about the school from wasting their time?

I'd like to apply for R2, but if I here from Duke before the deadline, I won't bother. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with you! The policy of interviewing on campus only if u pay the app fee is not sound especially since they frown on applicants that dont interview on campus. After I visit campus, i would wanna decide whether I wanna apply there. As long as I am visiting campus, they should allow me to just interview the way Tuck does it!

I will be visiting Duke for my interview and was hoping of interviewing at UNC as well. I am still not sure whether UNC will get me where I want to be post MBA in a challenging economic environment. Will probably have to cough up the $135 to get to know the school. There is no way I am traveling back to UNC for an interview. So will have to interview there as part of the school visit and gamble with the $135.
Current Student
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
I agree with you! The policy of interviewing on campus only if u pay the app fee is not sound especially since they frown on applicants that dont interview on campus.

Yeah, it's kinda crappy. Like you said, you'll have to make the trip twice if you want to check out the campus before interviewing!

RF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone else get this "Alpha Challenge" invitation to apply email? Worth it? No?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6