Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink]
I'm getting terribly worried, as well. The senior level people in my company are extremely polished and I know they will come through with solid LORs. However, my direct supervisor has poor grammar and writing style, and he has explicitly told me that he plans to "take care of them quickly and turn them around fast", which most likely means he won't spend more than 15-30 minutes on the LOR.

Anyone else in such a predicament? If I were to not use my direct supervisor, it would set off red flags and I would have to explain it. If I use him (which is the choice that I have decided on), I may end up with 1 mediocare at best recommendation and 1 glowing one from a senior guy. They will likely provide a pretty stark contrast as far as content (one being "realistic" and one "overly optimistic) and writing style (one messy and one polished). I have no idea how this is received, but I would hope that it would reflect more on the recommender than the applicant.

I really hope that these don't count for much. I have never heard of anyone being told in a feedback session that their LORs are why they got dinged, and most books on the admission process seem to rank the importance of LORs fairly low. It is truly not my fault if someone can't write and/or if they are a negative person.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
So one of my recommenders is kind of a dufus, and I made sure to have his boss review the letter. However, he checked top 2% on every box on the list of traits. I'm not sure how this will impact my rec. Any ideas? Is this terrible?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
So one of my recommenders is kind of a dufus, and I made sure to have his boss review the letter. However, he checked top 2% on every box on the list of traits. I'm not sure how this will impact my rec. Any ideas? Is this terrible?

It could be a lot, lot, worse than this. I need to take my own advice in this regard, but recommendations are just unnecessary stress. My plan from now on is to just provide the material to my recommenders and then get out of the way and not think about it again. Recommendations are completely out of your control.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Anyone else in such a predicament? If I were to not use my direct supervisor, it would set off red flags and I would have to explain it. If I use him (which is the choice that I have decided on), I may end up with 1 mediocare at best recommendation and 1 glowing one from a senior guy. They will likely provide a pretty stark contrast as far as content (one being "realistic" and one "overly optimistic) and writing style (one messy and one polished). I have no idea how this is received, but I would hope that it would reflect more on the recommender than the applicant.

One of my LORs was similar, but the person (actually, both of them) allowed me to look at the rec and give suggestions for grammatical and structural improvements, so I was saved there. If you can get your supervisor to let you provide some feedback OR ask someone he trusts (like a peer or his boss) to look it over, you should be fine.

I probably wouldn't worry *too* much, but if it's that bad, then I would try to influence the supervisor somehow. LORs are not an important part of the app (unless it's negative), but a very poorly written one will cause some frustration on the adcom's part, and you DON'T want them to remember you for that. :P
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
terp06 wrote:

One of my LORs was similar, but the person (actually, both of them) allowed me to look at the rec and give suggestions for grammatical and structural improvements, so I was saved there. If you can get your supervisor to let you provide some feedback OR ask someone he trusts (like a peer or his boss) to look it over, you should be fine.

I probably wouldn't worry *too* much, but if it's that bad, then I would try to influence the supervisor somehow. LORs are not an important part of the app (unless it's negative), but a very poorly written one will cause some frustration on the adcom's part, and you DON'T want them to remember you for that. :P

I asked him if I could look it over before he submitted today. He declined and told me he will just plan to submit it. He occasionally cracks jokes about his writing, but most people at the company don't find it so funny. His e-mails make him look like a high school dropout.

His boss is the CEO, who likely can't be bothered with doing this. My peers don't know I'm going to business school.

Sticky and tough situation. For my sanity, I'm just going to forget about it and hope the adcom realizes that it is out of my control. After all, there is a reason I am leaving the company and going to business school. If my boss was a true mentor and someone I respected, I would probably continue to work for him.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
One recommendation done. One more to go !
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Just when I was starting to lose hope, both recommenders come through in the clutch today and submitted my Wharton recs and both promise to submit Chicago recs by the weekend. I am one happy camper now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
One of my HBS recommenders (an alum) phoned me this morning to tell me that he will only be able to post his reco this upcoming weekend (the deadline is Wednesday).

Does anyone know if Harvard has a bit of flex in accepting recos after the deadline? Should I be worried?

P.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3