Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Interesting video on the rigor at darden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi78W34SFtQ&feature=related
Current Student
Send PM
From the NYTimes...36 hrs in Charlottesville: https://travel.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/travel/26hours.html?em
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Application in! Now we play...the waiting game.

FYI, if you are stupid enough to leave an error on your application, the admissions staff is very prompt and courteous in fixing it. Don't ask me how I know.

Originally posted by McDargoiowkel on 27 Oct 2008, 14:22.
Last edited by McDargoiowkel on 27 Oct 2008, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
McDargoiowkel wrote:
Don't ask me how I know.

Ok :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Hey just thought I'd chime in a bit about Charlottesville since I got my masters (in systems engineering) at UVA and people are asking about the social scene/town.

1) Everything Pelihu said is dead on (esp Foxfields), the most lively scene by far in the town is called 'the corner' which is the area university ave going east as it approaches 10th st. its walking distance for the undergrads but a bit of a hike from the darden campus. if you're looking for an older crowd I suggest Buffalo Wild Wings (not to be confused with Wild Wing by the train station) which is walking distance from the Darden campus, or South street which is a bit east of where the corner is.

2) That said, *don't* wander too far north of the corner, it starts to get rather dodgy around Grady ave. The store there is called the 'shady grady' for a reason!

3) There are a ton of reasonably priced, good hotels near Monticello (not exactly peak viewing season there this time of year) that will surely have vacancies. If you're without a car the cabs shouldn't be that ridiculous to campus. Grab some bodo's bagels if you're in a breakfast mood and some Five Guys (at the huge barracks shopping plaza nearby) if you want the most delicious hamburger known to mankind.

4) Last but not least, the John Paul Jones arena (aka the JPJ) is absolutely gorgeous and better looking than what many pro basketball teams play in. If you visit late in the semester when basketball is going on I recommend you check it out. Also very much walking distance from darden.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Hi,

How did u guys approach "I am a person who __________________________, with expertise in ____________________________. * "

Any ideas to share?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
the most lively scene by far in the town is called 'the corner' which is the area university ave going east as it approaches 10th st. its walking distance for the undergrads but a bit of a hike from the darden campus. if you're looking for an older crowd I suggest Buffalo Wild Wings (not to be confused with Wild Wing by the train station) which is walking distance from the Darden campus, or South street which is a bit east of where the corner is.

Have to disagree with you there. I did my undergrad at UVA (CLAS '04) and I grew up about an hour away.

The Corner is definitely a great time and a must-see for any visitor to Charlottesville. But unless you're looking to regress into your undergrad years or pick up sorority chicks (more power to you - you won't find hotter girls anywhere), it might not be your best bet for a place to hang out. I would suggest the Downtown Mall over the Corner any day. Most of the graduate and law school students go there to avoid the undergrads. The Downtown Mall is hopping just about every weekend - a ton of bars, a club, outdoor cafes that stay open very late, etc. It's the heart and soul of Charlottesville.

Of course, I admit that I'm biased here. I fell in love with Charlottesville and have every intention of moving back and settling down there eventually.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Ntang wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:
the most lively scene by far in the town is called 'the corner' which is the area university ave going east as it approaches 10th st. its walking distance for the undergrads but a bit of a hike from the darden campus. if you're looking for an older crowd I suggest Buffalo Wild Wings (not to be confused with Wild Wing by the train station) which is walking distance from the Darden campus, or South street which is a bit east of where the corner is.

Have to disagree with you there. I did my undergrad at UVA (CLAS '04) and I grew up about an hour away.

The Corner is definitely a great time and a must-see for any visitor to Charlottesville. But unless you're looking to regress into your undergrad years or pick up sorority chicks (more power to you - you won't find hotter girls anywhere), it might not be your best bet for a place to hang out. I would suggest the Downtown Mall over the Corner any day. Most of the graduate and law school students go there to avoid the undergrads. The Downtown Mall is hopping just about every weekend - a ton of bars, a club, outdoor cafes that stay open very late, etc. It's the heart and soul of Charlottesville.

Of course, I admit that I'm biased here. I fell in love with Charlottesville and have every intention of moving back and settling down there eventually.

You're right, I did forget about the Mall. West Main St and McIntire rd if you want to google map it. Good outdoor concerts there too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
App in..... Lets wait for the verdict now...... :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
another quick question. Does Darden have a transcript template to use?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am in for R1! :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
ryguy904 - submitted 10/28 @11:53PM EST (6 minutes to spare!)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Good luck ryguy904 and the others!

I'm applying R2 for sure, and looking to submit sometime mid-December.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I'm in for R1 as well! The I'm a person who ________ thing was definitely whacky, but overall I found the app to be a lot easier than Michigan and Wharton's. Good luck to everyone!
Current Student
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
I'm in for R1 as well! The I'm a person who ________ thing was definitely whacky, but overall I found the app to be a lot easier than Michigan and Wharton's. Good luck to everyone!

It's funny that you say this app was a lot easier than Ross...I thought Darden was about 10X more difficult than Ross!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks buddy! I know it's still on the early side to be thinking about Rd 2, but I'd finalize your short list asap so you can start on the essays. Order of difficulty, from my perspective was Duke < Michigan < Darden. I know Darden is on your radar, and you may be willing to look beyond a couple of "issues" and opening up to Duke, but either way, you'll definitely want to start brainstorming. We can talk more at the Darden info session next week.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35