Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I just spent a couple of days at MIT this week, and I'm more exited about the school than ever. Definitely my top choice. I was really impressed with almost everything about the school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I'm in for R1, the cover letter is the most difficult for me so far for some reason..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
I am having a difficult time finding separate examples of challenging task, plan execution and idea defense and anything else I might want to discuss from past three years of my life. I also feel the need to find a separate instance when i made an impact for the cover letter to have a balanced application.

I believe that I will end up giving a very personal example for defending the idea question. Any one else in the same boat? :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
just submitted my app :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
CompanyMan wrote:
I am having a difficult time finding separate examples of challenging task, plan execution and idea defense and anything else I might want to discuss from past three years of my life. I also feel the need to find a separate instance when i made an impact for the cover letter to have a balanced application.

I believe that I will end up giving a very personal example for defending the idea question. Any one else in the same boat? :(

i had a tough time describing my actions for 400+ words, so in some cases, I spent a lot more space setting up the situation (150-200 words) and writing a feasible conclusion (100 words). So my actual descriptions were only 200-250 words, which made the essays more manageable. I frankly could not have written any more without embellishing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
msday86 wrote:

i had a tough time describing my actions for 400+ words, so in some cases, I spent a lot more space setting up the situation (150-200 words) and writing a feasible conclusion (100 words). So my actual descriptions were only 200-250 words, which made the essays more manageable. I frankly could not have written any more without embellishing.

Me too. I spent a good chunk setting things up.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
How disadvantaged are you if you apply to Sloan in Round 2? I have heard in the past that Round 2 at Sloan is very, very difficult.

Additionally - does anyone know if MIT requires a recommendation from your direct supervisor? They make no mention of it.

Not sure about the recommender question. On the other, I have heard that 2/3 of their class is from round 1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Please see a chat with MIT Sloan admissions at https://www.accepted.com/chat/Transcript ... 8_mit.aspx

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 7, 2008 12:14:54 PM)
...we admit half the class in each round, and typically do receive more applications in round 2, so statistically there tends to be a higher acceptance rate in round 1 vs. Round 2.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
It seems like the essay questions are more geared towards talking about your job rather than ECs. Is anybody else feeling the same way?

I'm only concerned because of my engineering background, they essays could tend to get rather boring.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
balki1867 wrote:
It seems like the essay questions are more geared towards talking about your job rather than ECs. Is anybody else feeling the same way?

I'm only concerned because of my engineering background, they essays could tend to get rather boring.

While I used my job for all but the last essay, I can definitely see plan execution, challenging interaction and impact on an organization coming from an EC. I seriously debated it for the first two.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Can the cover letter incorporate impact from other essays? I talked about my major impacts in my other essays but I am not sure whether to use those examples or provide different ones. Any ideas?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
terp26 wrote:
Can the cover letter incorporate impact from other essays? I talked about my major impacts in my other essays but I am not sure whether to use those examples or provide different ones. Any ideas?

To meet the "describe your accomplishments" prompt, I briefly mentioned a few of the things that are covered in my other essays. But as for the "example of how you had an impact on a person or group," I would use something that's not covered in the other essays. I think it's a chance to cover something new and present more information.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Kudos
terp26 wrote:

I mention a few things in the cover letter but don't go too much into detail - I saved that for the other essays. For instance, I mentioned I participate in activity X, and in one of the essays, go into detail on how I defended my idea in X.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking good luck +1
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wow, anybody feel like MIT's application is way shorter than those of other schools? I thought their essay questions were particularly long but seems like they made up for it in their online app.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Meowzilla wrote:
Wow, anybody feel like MIT's application is way shorter than those of other schools? I thought their essay questions were particularly long but seems like they made up for it in their online app.

Yes !! the Online application is way short and perhaps justifies their "unique" essay questions. However, I do feel that they hardly care about extra acads, volunteering etc.... from the nature of the questions.

On that note, is anyone using the fourth question to write a full essay or bullet points of extra acads, etc etc.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm using the fourth essay to talk about one of my ECs which I haven't mentioned before in the essays (and naturally have not mentioned anywhere else in the online app as it does not ask)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27