Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I have the exact same problem. One recommendation is missing and it's making me mighty nervous. This person hasn't even submitted my chicago rec and the drop dead deadline before it moves to round 2 is tomorrow. I don't know what to do at this point. He apologized on Thursday - said he has given it to someone to edit and hasn't followed up, but he still hasn;t submitted - at this point I wish he would submit what he has :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
i realize that my industry is not a b school feeder industry, managers grow through the ranks, so both of my recommenders are not well versed in this process. In fact this is both of theirs first b school recommendations. So maybe they do not realize the gravity of the process.

Ofcourse, your case could be quite different, but it sucks none the less.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
None of my recommenders have an MBA either, so they are pretty new to the process and don't realize how different this is. To their credit, they seem to have taken the time to understand what needs to get done. However, this one last rec is worrying me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I must say that I am impressed that your recommender gave it to someone to edit. I mean, thats a real effort on his part to write you a good reco. I wish my recommender is taking the trouble to open those positioning and guiding documents I gave him.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had one other recommendation submitted pretty early, and that worried me whether he had actually looked into all the stuff I gave him :) He's a great guy and I know he would give a good recommendation, but I've just been a bit worried when I saw one of his linked in recommendations to someone say "he's a good technician". I am in IT consulting, and do not want to be called a technician, at least in a B school rec :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
LOL. :-D
Am sure I am a great engineer everywhere except my essays... where i am in a challenging mix of engineering and managerial role.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [1]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
for those still working on essay a, i found the info here super helpful. i've exercepted out a few parts, but i encourage reading the entire page.

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/admissi ... ays-p.html

"We are not always aware of the forces that ultimately move us. While focusing on the "how" questions—how to survive, how to get ahead, how to make a name for ourselves—often we forget the "why" questions that are more essential for finding and staying on the best course: Why pursue this objective? Why behave in this manner? Why aspire to this kind of life? Why become this type of person?

These "why" questions help us realize our highest aspirations and our truest interests. To answer these questions well, we must decide what matters most to us, what we will be able to contribute to in our careers, what are the right (as opposed to the wrong) ways of behaving as we aim toward this end, and, ultimately, what kind of persons we want to become. Because everyone, everywhere, wants to live an admirable life, a life of consequence, the "why" questions cannot be ignored for long without great peril to one’s personal stability and enduring success. It is like ignoring the rudder on a ship—no matter how much you look after all the boat’s other moving parts, you may end up lost at sea."

Essay Philosophy

The Stanford MBA Program essays provide you a disciplined opportunity to reflect on your own "truest interests" and "highest aspirations."

While the letters of reference are stories about you told by others, these essays enable you to tell your own story, what matters most to you and why, as well as how you have decided you can best contribute to society.

Please think of the Stanford essays as conversations on paper—when we read files, we feel that we meet people, also known as our "flat friends"—and tell us your story in a natural, genuine way.

Our goal is to understand what motivates you and how you have become the person you are today. In addition, we’re interested in what kind of person you wish the Stanford MBA Program to help you become.

Reflective, insightful essays help us envision the individual behind all of the experiences and accomplishments that we read about elsewhere in your application.

The most important piece of advice on these essays is extremely simple: answer the questions—each component of each question.

An additional suggestion for writing essays is equally straightforward: think a lot before you write. We want a holistic view of you as a person: your values, passions, ideas, experiences, and aspirations.

Essay A

In the first essay, tell a story—and tell a story that only you can tell.

This essay should be descriptive and told in a straightforward and sincere way. This probably sounds strange, since these are essays for business school, but we don’t expect to hear about your business experience in this essay (though, of course, you are free to write about whatever you would like).

Remember that we have your entire application—work history, letters of reference, short-answer responses, etc.—to learn what you have accomplished and the type of impact you have made. Your task in this first essay is to connect the people, situations, and events in your life with the values you adhere to and the choices you have made. This essay gives you a terrific opportunity to learn about yourself!

Many good essays describe the "what," but great essays move to the next order and describe how and why these "whats" have influenced your life.

The most common mistake applicants make is spending too much time describing the "what" and not enough time describing how and why these guiding forces have shaped your behavior, attitudes, and objectives in your personal and professional lives.

Please be assured that we do appreciate and reward thoughtful self-assessment and appropriate levels of self-disclosure.

Myth #1: Tell the Committee on Admissions what makes you unique in your essays.

This often leads applicants to believe that you need to have accomplishments or feats that are unusual or different from your peers (e.g., traveling to an exotic place or talking about a tragic situation in your life).

But how are you to know which of your experiences are unique when you know neither the backgrounds of the other applicants nor the topics they have chosen? What makes you unique is not that you have had these experiences, but rather how and why your perspective has changed or been reinforced as a result of those and other everyday experiences.

That is a story that only you can tell. If you concentrate your efforts on telling us who you are, differentiation will occur naturally; if your goal is to appear unique, you actually may achieve the opposite effect.

Truly, the most impressive essays that we read each year are those that do not begin with the goal of impressing us.

Originally posted by peaceyall on 26 Oct 2008, 19:06.
Last edited by peaceyall on 27 Oct 2008, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
great post, peaceyall. i'm in the process of editing my essays before the 10/29 deadline (ahhhhh!). I'm well over the word limit, mostly because i still think i'm writing for a college english class instead of a business school application. i'm literally drowning in exposition and struggling to get at the real meat of the essays, i.e. the "hows" and "whys."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
sparkysan wrote:
great post, peaceyall. i'm in the process of editing my essays before the 10/29 deadline (ahhhhh!). I'm well over the word limit, mostly because i still think i'm writing for a college english class instead of a business school application. i'm literally drowning in exposition and struggling to get at the real meat of the essays, i.e. the "hows" and "whys."

This is exactly me as well, I tend to be verbose and have some major reductions to do...count me in for the all nighter's club
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
peaceyall, great post! +1

I'm still in the process of writing first essay. 3 others are already done. It is definitely the hardest one.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Hi everyone - for editing essays I have been using editavenue.com - I think they do a decent job if you are good enough in english that you would not do a blind "accept all" of their changes - because sometimes typos happen and we still need to read through their changes carefully before accepting them. They have been able to cut my words for me and offer a third person's feedback on the essays at a fraction of the price of admission consultants.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys what are you thoughts on word count? Is the 10% rule (eg. going over by 10%) OK? I'm about 100 words over and I'm wondering whether I should cut it or just leave it ... please let me know!!
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I get the feeling that Stanford is more particular abt word limits. Try to cut it by 50 words are so, at that point I doubt it will be noticeable once they have printed out the app.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
hsampath wrote:
I get the feeling that Stanford is more particular abt word limits. Try to cut it by 50 words are so, at that point I doubt it will be noticeable once they have printed out the app.

someone asked this at the on-campus info session i went to and the admissions person said it was okay as long as it's not crazy over. remember stanford's limit used to be much higher. i think as long as it's not obvious that it's much longer since they should have a good sense of what 1800 words looks like after reading thousands of essays.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
peaceyall wrote:
someone asked this at the on-campus info session i went to and the admissions person said it was okay as long as it's not crazy over. remember stanford's limit used to be much higher. i think as long as it's not obvious that it's much longer since they should have a good sense of what 1800 words looks like after reading thousands of essays.

Thanks a ton peaceyall!
I'm told adcoms are Nazi like as far as word limits are concerned and the app says

"Essay Length

Your answers for all four essay questions cannot exceed 1,800 words (in total), double-spaced using a 12-point font. Each of you has your own story to tell, so please allocate these 1,800 words among the essays in the way that is most effective for you. We provide some guidelines below as a starting point, but you should feel comfortable to write as much or little as you like on any question (as long as you do not exceed 1,800 words total).

Essay A: 750 words
Essay B: 450 words
Essay C: 300 words each"

So a bit concerned... i am going beserk trying to cut down the final 20 words (was over 100 initially).. will try my utmost.. else leave it at that.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I don't think you have to worry about 20 words - that's like one or two sentences more and would hardly be noticeable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
stumbled across this stanford gsb video on youtube, thought it was pretty funny... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tub5o2uEGCc
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts