Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
ac8706 wrote:
Questions asked:
- What do you do on Saturdays?

Awesome post-interview report ac!!

I wonder what they are looking for with the above question? EC involvement?

I mean, most of my Saturdays have very little b-school relevance (i.e. nursing hangover). :wink:

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
refurb wrote:

I mean, most of my Saturdays have very little b-school relevance (i.e. nursing hangover). :wink:

RF

I think that has a lot of relevance at Duke 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Just had my interview this morning, I think it went really well. The chap interviewing me and i had great rapport, kept the interview conversational. It was actually kinda fun. He said it would take about 35 mins; it ended up taking a full hour.

Questions asked:
- Why MBA? why now?
- what are your long/short term goals?
- Why Duke?
- Tell me about your undergrad eCs (had them on my resume -> I tied them into what I want to do at Duke)
- Since you're a manager, what would your analysts say about you?
- What do you like about teams? dislike?
- What's your teaching style?
- When you take a role in a club/team, what do you want it to be?

Other Misc observations:
- students at Duke seem much more down to earth than those I met at Tuck; down-to-earthness is comparable to CHicago and MIT students
- students were really nice, lots of interesting backgrounds (e.g. girl from Ghana who went to Dartmouth then asset mgmt and is now at Duke)
- the entire day was student run - I didn't meet a single member of the adcom; apparently that's fairly representative of how a lot of ECs happen
- the QA with current students was kinda...awkward. They answered our questions openly and easily but there was no structure, no one to lead things off, segue to new topics - so lots of time spent looking at each other O_o
- v. pretty building - construction still going on
- girl/guy ratio at Duke is 38%/62%; at the event today, felt more like 6%/94% :P

All in all, it seemed to go pretty well.

best,
ac.

HI,

Who interviewed you? a student or the adcom? I was interviewed by the adcom. he too quizzed me abt ECs and weekends. But my interview was mch shorter. about 25 mins. Hopefully, that was all he needed to know to decide that he wanted to offer me a place :-D
Oh btw, will they be announcing the results only on the 'date of notification' or is it more random?

Best,
Nadtrans
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Just had my interview this morning, I think it went really well. The chap interviewing me and i had great rapport, kept the interview conversational. It was actually kinda fun. He said it would take about 35 mins; it ended up taking a full hour.

Questions asked:
- Why MBA? why now?
- Why Duke?
- Tell me about your undergrad eCs (had them on my resume -> I tied them into what I want to do at Duke)

Other Misc observations:
- students at Duke seem much more down to earth than those I met at Tuck; down-to-earthness is comparable to CHicago and MIT students
- students were really nice, lots of interesting backgrounds (e.g. girl from Ghana who went to Dartmouth then asset mgmt and is now at Duke)
- the entire day was student run - I didn't meet a single member of the adcom; apparently that's fairly representative of how a lot of ECs happen
- the QA with current students was kinda...awkward. They answered our questions openly and easily but there was no structure, no one to lead things off, segue to new topics - so lots of time spent looking at each other O_o
- girl/guy ratio at Duke is 38%/62%; at the event today, felt more like 6%/94% :P

best,
ac.

Great recap! +1
Current Student
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

Questions asked:
- Why MBA? why now?
- Why Duke?

Other Misc observations:

best,
ac.

HI,

Who interviewed you? a student or the adcom? I was interviewed by the adcom. he too quizzed me abt ECs and weekends. But my interview was mch shorter. about 25 mins. Hopefully, that was all he needed to know to decide that he wanted to offer me a place :-D
Oh btw, will they be announcing the results only on the 'date of notification' or is it more random?

Best,
Nadtrans

I had a 2nd year student :)
No idea about the results- I'd just be happy to know whenever!
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
ac8706 wrote:

Questions asked:
- Why MBA? why now?
- Why Duke?

Other Misc observations:

best,
ac.

Great recap! Glad to hear it went well!
Current Student
Send PM
I got a Pm asking me about dresscode for the interview, thought I'd post here as well:

- most of the guys were wearing suits; a few guys were doing the sweater/tie/slacks look. One guy I talked to was doing the sweater w/ a suit look but he blended just right in...
- I think all the girls were wearings suits. I was the only one in flats but since they were dressier ones, it was fine. (thanks aau for reasurring me about that!)

hope this helps!
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Abt the dress code, I had called them before the interview and was told that the recommended attire was business casual. I dint wear a suit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Do we need to restate essay question at the top of each essay? The instruction on the website did not mention such rule. I'm wondering since not restating the question will provide some additional space.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
clubgmat25 wrote:
Do we need to restate essay question at the top of each essay? The instruction on the website did not mention such rule. I'm wondering since not restating the question will provide some additional space.

No u don have to! it appears under the appropriate question whn u view completed application!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
EA is new at Duke this yr. So does anyone have any idea how EA, Rnd 1, Rnd 2 spans out in terms of admit %?

should we look at this Rnd 2 as the conventional rnd 3 in other schools (implying that admit % is also going to be lower)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
 Q46  V36
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
Not to scare u or anything, but I would not have done that if i were u! And i m pretty sure that can see the time at which the submission was made.

yes i wouldnt have done anything to jeopardise my application too.. but it was a tough situation, so i had to do it..

BTW : Could some student answer my original question please??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
So I have my interview at Duke this week. Im pumped.

But. Do I wear a suit, or keep to the business casual as suggested?

Honestly, Im leaning towards business casual: slack, white shirt and tie. Thats what they recommended.

Im nervous for interview a little.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
So I have my interview at Duke this week. Im pumped.

But. Do I wear a suit, or keep to the business casual as suggested?

If you look at AC's post above, she said most of the guys wore suits. I'm doing the suit because I'm a fashion idiot and a suit is the hardest to mess up.

It doesn't sound like you'll look out of place either way.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
But why wear a suit unless you absolutely have to? At my Fuqua interview, the few people who showed up in suits looked overdressed. IMHO, if they bother to specifically point out that dress is "business casual," take 'em at their word and put on a decent pair of khakis and a collared shirt. You'll be good to go.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I've been told by former students who worked with admissions that I should wear a suit, regardless of what the invite says.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I was one of those few people....and damn, I looked good as hell. 8-)

Ntang wrote:
At my Fuqua interview, the few people who showed up in suits looked overdressed.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  50