Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: Cell phones and plans [#permalink]
Good to know terry - I'd also heard that email/texts are more used but good to have your verification :)

I'm planning on upgrading to a blackberry or iPhone in the spring when my cell phone contract is up for renewal....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Good to know terry - I'd also heard that email/texts are more used but good to have your verification :)

I'm planning on upgrading to a blackberry or iPhone in the spring when my cell phone contract is up for renewal....

same...blackberry storm here i come :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I agree with terry12 that there's no need to increase your minutes. If you have unlimited (or a very high) weekend/weeknight minutes and free calls to people on your network, then you will be fine, since 1/3 of the class will be on AT&T (because of the iPhone) and the rest will probably be split evenly between AT&T and Verizon, many of your calls will be free. Also, you won't have much time to talk during the day anyways, so you'll get free calls after 9pm.

Definitely get a text message plan, 100 is the minimum, but I would go up to 400 or unlimited if you get txt message updates from facebook or twitter (which many of my classmates have started to use religiously).

Data plan is definitely useful. I switched over to a basic smartphone (Palm Centro) just so I can do gmail and read my Google reader. I'll decide whether to upgrade to a Blackberry Storm, Android, or the new Palm one next year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Old thread, but thought I'd bump instead of starting a new one.

So, how advantageous is it to have a smartphone with internet and all that crap in school? I pay like 42 bucks right now for a Verizon plan that gives me more minutes and texts than I even use, and I'm somewhat loath to start spending double that.

I'm always behind the curve with this stuff; I didn't get a cell phone until I was 21. Obviously, I couldn't do anything without it now, so it's something of a "you don't know what you missing until you have it" type deal. I figure it's the same with a smart phone. People who have them are fiddling with them constantly and checking all kinds of junk on the internet.

The only real benefit I see is having email at your fingertips 24/7.

I guess if I were to do it, I'd keep Verizon and just get the Droid.

Thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
I am on Sprint now, and I am quite happy. All the data plans have unlimited data, messaging, and calls to any cell phone (not just Sprint). I have the cheapest plan, and barely use any base minutes, since most of my calls are at night or to other cell phones. I also don't have to put up with the bad ATT coverage in SF.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Here at Kellogg, I'd say almost all students have a smartphone (the vast majority are iPhones and BlackBerries, with a few Droids and Pre's thrown in). I've literally met 1 person here who doesn't have a smartphone. Besides the fun apps that we're constantly fooling around with, they're really an indispensible tool. Your calendar quickly fills up with club meetings, study groups, recruiting, speakers, etc., and it's extremely helpful to be able to see where you need to be by looking at your phone rather than having to pull out your laptop. It's also nice to be able to keep an eye on your emails in between class, during lunch, etc. to see if there's anything incredibly important coming in.

In terms of cost, many schools have discount plans. They're not huge, but you can usually save about 10% or so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I don't have a smart phone right now, but am hoping to switch to the Nexus One when it comes out on Verizon.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is indeed helpful to look up phone numbers of a restaurant/club/etc and see where you are driving on google maps (unless you have a GPS in your car, which I do not nor do I rent it when I travel). A smartphone is also great for email/calendar - you can do a quick reply whenever and wherever. If you setup outlook with it - it is great as well for keeping appointments and meetings. Keep in mind though, that once you go there, you won't switch back :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
survived first 1.5 years of bschool without a smart phone, but after I got the Verizon DROID, i don't know how I lived before a smartphone!

Highly recommended to manage your email load and to so some simple net things without having to pull out your laptop all the time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
PBateman wrote:

For what it's worth, rumor has it the iPhone will be coming out on Verizon soon. I'd be tempted by that - I've got one now and AT&T's network is awful in the city.

I'm also considering downgrading because paying $100/mo while living off loans seems crazy. I've been thinking about buying an iPod touch to do all my data and just getting a bare-bones phone for the few calls I ever make.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
PBateman wrote:

For what it's worth, rumor has it the iPhone will be coming out on Verizon soon. I'd be tempted by that - I've got one now and AT&T's network is awful in the city.

I'm also considering downgrading because paying $100/mo while living off loans seems crazy. I've been thinking about buying an iPod touch to do all my data and just getting a bare-bones phone for the few calls I ever make.

I guess I don't know much about the droid vs iphone. Since I don't want my life consumed by apps, for me they'd probably be comparable, unless there are other glaring differences.

Interesting thing too about doing the iPod touch with cheap cell phone. I assume you can use the internet with the iPod touch? Is it reliable? No monthly fees?
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
PBateman wrote:
I guess I don't know much about the droid vs iphone. Since I don't want my life consumed by apps, for me they'd probably be comparable, unless there are other glaring differences.

Interesting thing too about doing the iPod touch with cheap cell phone. I assume you can use the internet with the iPod touch? Is it reliable? No monthly fees?

From my experience, the iPhone tends to be a little faster and has a smoother operating system than most (although I'm a born and raised Mac girl). I haven't played with a Google phone, but I've played with the Pre and the Instinct, and I liked the iPhone better.

You can do everything with an iPod Touch that you can do with an iPhone except make calls - run apps, text, internet... It runs 3G and wi-fi, depending where you are, just like the phone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Unless I have a plan-scheduled upgrade that allows for a smartphone, I will be going the cheap phone + iPod Touch route. The one with less storage is actually quite cheap.
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
I just did some more research and realize I totally lied - the iPod touch does NOT have 3G. So it only gets internet if you're on a wireless network. Now the decision is less clear...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Darden, Duke, Booth, Texas, Georgetown
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Most university campuses are wifi enabled, and there will be internet at your apartment, so iPod touch should work out just fine. You won't be able to use the internet outside in the city though. That said, I can't live without my iPhone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Huh, that does make the decision harder.

Well, we'll see. I should be due for an upgrade and I resentfully acknowledge the fact that I should probably get a smartphone of some sort.

It will take an apocalyptic event to get me to join Facebook, though.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yes, iPod Touch is mainly designed to be for music and now a pretty big platform for games (and there are some great one on there).

The Android OS implemented by Motorola (DROID) and HTC (Nexus One) are both as fast, if not faster than iPhone's. App wise Apple still has 10x Android, but the difference between 100,000 apps and 10,000 apps is not as noticeable as you think. The biggest missing thing are games (which you can get an iPod Touch for). Otherwise, I pretty much have every major app that does everything useful which my iPhone friends can do. :)

Don't know when iPhone will ever go to Verizon (I sure hope they don't, lest they ruin the network), but the Droid and Nexus One will be good bets if you want to try non-iPhones.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2