Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink]
rhyme/anyone else,

What makes for a good team work story? Almost every project I work on requires incredible team work. We are small company try to win big clients, so we are always understaffed and are under time and budget constraints on our projects. What in your opinion would make one team work story stand apart from the others?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
mbagal2011 wrote:
rhyme/anyone else,

What makes for a good team work story? Almost every project I work on requires incredible team work. We are small company try to win big clients, so we are always understaffed and are under time and budget constraints on our projects. What in your opinion would make one team work story stand apart from the others?

Thanks!

teamwork is about leveraging strengths to neutralize weaknesses.

I'll elaborate tonight from the hotel if i have time, but try noodlin on that for the moment and see if sparks ideas.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Thanks rhyme. But if you are the one leveraging strengths and neutralizing weaknesses (I am assuming you meant to change individuals' roles to play up each individual's strengths), aren't you really displaying leadership qualities rather than teamwork?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi guys..

I have a quick question..I know it might sound a bit stupid..but can someone tell me what is the best way to address an interviewer in the email and while interviewing ? By first name or by last name?I'd really appreciate a response
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
meeishal wrote:
Hi guys..

I have a quick question..I know it might sound a bit stupid..but can someone tell me what is the best way to address an interviewer in the email and while interviewing ? By first name or by last name?I'd really appreciate a response

Last name,

Dear Mr. / Ms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
mbagal2011 wrote:
Thanks rhyme. But if you are the one leveraging strengths and neutralizing weaknesses (I am assuming you meant to change individuals' roles to play up each individual's strengths), aren't you really displaying leadership qualities rather than teamwork?

Well, I suppose you could make that argument, but I'd argue leadership stories tend to be more about what you specifically did / saw / implemented. In this case I'd focus less on the "I did this, I did that" and more on the "We did this, we did that. As a result of X, we achieved Y, and person A managed to fix problem B" - things like that. Let me know if that just confuses you more.

Also, don't get too worked up finding the perfect teamwork story.... find something decent and be confident. They say 90% of an impression is formed by how you say something and only 10% is what you say.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Thanks rhyme! That does make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
meeishal wrote:
Hi guys..

Last name,

Dear Mr. / Ms.

Eh, in general, I refer to people in any situation based off of how they introduced themselves to me. With the exception of my father in law, who I refuse to call "Mr. Touch my Daughter and I'll Kill You".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
First of all Rhyme, great post, one of the best i have seen. And its very nice of you to share this now when you might be short of time anyways ...

Regarding addressing the interviewer, Isn't it ok to call them Sir / Maa'm ? In mail i suppose we can address them by Mr/ Mrs .lastname , but face to face , if they are alumini then probably by last name, if they are professors, using sir/maam, or maybe not adressing at all ? Which is best and for whom ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Thanks so much for the info... this will come in handy with my two interviews this week!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
If my interviewer drops my first name, I respond with his/hers. Tit for tat.

Also, my alumni interviewer from Texas emailed me today and we're setting up at time to meet. Just out of curiosity, I googled him, and it turns out we went to the same school for undergrad (!!), he's written a book and has a blog, which I am reading (on company time, naturally). So now I'm going in with some advance intelligence that I can drop and totally wow the dude with.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools:INSEAD Class of July '10
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Ntang wrote:

Also, my alumni interviewer from Texas emailed me today and we're setting up at time to meet. Just out of curiosity, I googled him, and it turns out we went to the same school for undergrad (!!), he's written a book and has a blog, which I am reading (on company time, naturally). So now I'm going in with some advance intelligence that I can drop and totally wow the dude with.

You're sooooo smart ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I know. My mom says that too.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Ntang wrote:

Just be careful. This can come across as awful creepy. I once had an interviewer dig around on linkedin finding things that my business partners had done and asking me about them. It didn't come across as research, it just came across as inappropriately weird.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Just be careful. This can come across as awful creepy. I once had an interviewer dig around on linkedin finding things that my business partners had done and asking me about them. It didn't come across as research, it just came across as inappropriately weird.

So... you're saying NOT to ask whether his daughter is getting over her cold? Hmm... I'll think about it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
what examples do folks have for ethical dilemmas (or maybe beliefs challenged)? maybe i haven't thought hard enough, but i'm having trouble coming up with examples. maybe i need to be creative in how i'm thinking about this.

thanks all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Kudos
Adam Markus has referenced some good sources in his blog.
(https://adam-markus.blogspot.com/search/label/Interviews)

Quote:
Ethical Dilemma Questions
Another very common question relates to ethical dilemmas. Be ready. Have a story or two ready. If you are having a difficulty formulating ethical dilemma questions, please take a look at the Institute of global ethics. https://www.globalethics.org/dilemmas.php. Also see Business Ethics Research - Knowledge@Wharton.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5