Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: The Myth of the 800 GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
i scored 750+ and i can tell you i am no scientist or academic. i hate standardized tests and my goal was only to score above 700. i sure hope adcoms don't have stereotype in the way this article described. standardized tests are only a measure of how well you can study for that test, and that's why there's always debates about the SATs. apparently, i studied well. now, an IQ test on the other hand...well, if i took that, i might fail :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Seriously, this guy is a joke. I haven't taken GMAT yet but I got 99%ile on my SAT, and I aint a rocket scientist. It's laughable to say that someobody who can ace a test that is basically algebra mixed with some reading is a rocket scientist (not that the test is easy, but the knowledge base it covers is relatively basic compared to college-level material. If you know the concepts and take the test methodically and avoid careless errors, you will score 700+).

Also...FYI to this guy but just because the average score is 650 doesn't mean half the scores are below 650. Just a little basic statistics for you. I guess I'll be getting a call from NASA just for knowing that!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
JorgeStevenson wrote:
Seriously, this guy is a joke. I haven't taken GMAT yet but I got 99%ile on my SAT, and I aint a rocket scientist. It's laughable to say that someobody who can ace a test that is basically algebra mixed with some reading is a rocket scientist (not that the test is easy, but the knowledge base it covers is relatively basic compared to college-level material. If you know the concepts and take the test methodically and avoid careless errors, you will score 700+).

Also...FYI to this guy but just because the average score is 650 doesn't mean half the scores are below 650. Just a little basic statistics for you. I guess I'll be getting a call from NASA just for knowing that!

I never thought about that :o , man, you ARE rocket scientist
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
This doesn't quite explain why average scores have been slowly creeping upwards. This very article, if written a few years ago, would have said a 680 is the "best" score to have - anything higher and you're a rocket scientist. Now it's probably 720, or the upper end of the 700-740 range the author directly refers to.

Standardized tests are of course no measure of genius. Yet, a higher score is practically always better than a lower one. Even if you get a 750, if you're SURE you can get a 780 in your next try, by all means go for it. Ceteris paribus, it will only strengthen your application and put you in the running for scholarships etc. No one gets rejected because they did TOO well on the GMAT.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I don't think someone will get rejected because they did TOO well on the GMAT. I think the point of the article is that getting a very high score will cause extra scruitiny. It may be an unjust stereotype, but many people that have the level of knowledge and understanding to score that high often don't convey that information well, or they are impatient with others that don't get it as quickly. I believe the adcoms want to avoid someone like the character of Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory that is brilliant, but has a hard time relating to those around him.

I see what this author is saying, but I also see value in the CEO being brilliant (like an 800 brilliant if you have to put a number on it) so the CEO can figure out what needs to be done, maybe can't explain the WHY very well, but in the end the CEO can say "Dammit, do what I say and how I say to do it." That won't go very far in every situation, but I'm sure there are times that is necessary.

What the author is saying is not perfect, but it makes sense and I'm sure it's true in some situations. Adcoms want team players, not dictators.

solaris1 wrote:
This doesn't quite explain why average scores have been slowly creeping upwards. This very article, if written a few years ago, would have said a 680 is the "best" score to have - anything higher and you're a rocket scientist. Now it's probably 720, or the upper end of the 700-740 range the author directly refers to.

Standardized tests are of course no measure of genius. Yet, a higher score is practically always better than a lower one. Even if you get a 750, if you're SURE you can get a 780 in your next try, by all means go for it. Ceteris paribus, it will only strengthen your application and put you in the running for scholarships etc. No one gets rejected because they did TOO well on the GMAT.

Originally posted by jallenmorris on 04 Dec 2008, 08:58.
Last edited by jallenmorris on 04 Dec 2008, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Having read the first post and its follow ups... I am wishing I had not been made privy to this insight of adcom. No, I don't have a score of 750+ ...its 690 but I am proud of it cuz I studied <1 month for it & form the research I did, I thought this was good enough to show 'intellectual ability', so i haven't bothered again. Actually if u follow up the thought process of this adcom keeping in perspective the very real fact that the average scores are creeping up.. you will realize that soon enough GMAT scores will become sth similar to proficiency tests. U will just have to clear a certain mark (varying by universities) and then look at the rest ur application. agree?...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
jallenmorris wrote:
I don't think someone will get rejected because they did TOO well on the GMAT. I think the point of the article is that getting a very high school will cause extra scruitiny.

I don't think it's established that it is indeed the 790 or the 800 GMAT score that generates extra scrutiny.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [1]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
musaabjaved,

Some people think that the admissions process is already at that point. It seems that once a person gets a certain GMAT score, the GMAT doesn't matter to the adcom anymore. It makes sense. I don't think it's an absolute gatekeeper, but I think if the adcoms see a score similar to their average or above, I think the adcoms move on to the rest of the application. In fact, I imagine that every application is reviewed, and only some of those that are very, very low scores may not be reviewed. The adcoms would like to find someone with a low score but that they believe can be successful. I think that person with a 520 applying to Columbia or Kellog or whatever will have to have a very convincing argument as to why they are capable even with a low GMAT score, but I don't think it keeps them out completely. The adcoms probably want to see something stand out in the application and if they don't, then the app gets dinged.

Do you know of a company that takes standardized tests for profit? I don't. Employees and managers are not going to take standardized tests to determine their success, so it makes sense that the adcoms don't make or break an applicants admission decision on the score of the GMAT. A person could be a very qualified applicant and absolutely suck at standardized tests.

The bad part is most of us that respond are just responding out of our theories or experience in the admissions process. I would love to see a 2nd year post on here and give their insight as to the admissions process.

SOLARIS - I didn't mean to saying it's established that a 790 or 800 gets extra scruitiny. It's just my theory and it seems logical to me. And as I said, I think this theory could be (or is) based upon a stereotype of brilliant people not interracting well with others. Schools don't want brilliant people that treat others poorly. if one of their graduates gets into the work force and treats people like crap, that reflects badly on that school.

I don't think anyone has it figured out, and I think there are so many approaches that it can vary drastically from school to school. Columbia might not care that an applicant with an 800 would treat people like crap, or be egotistical, while Tuck might be very concerned with that applicant's fit into the school culture.

Just a thought.

It's also kind of annoying that this person came in, posted this 1 post and has not posted anything since.

musaabjaved wrote:
Having read the first post and its follow ups... I am wishing I had not been made privy to this insight of adcom. No, I don't have a score of 750+ ...its 690 but I am proud of it cuz I studied <1 month for it & form the research I did, I thought this was good enough to show 'intellectual ability', so i haven't bothered again. Actually if u follow up the thought process of this adcom keeping in perspective the very real fact that the average scores are creeping up.. you will realize that soon enough GMAT scores will become sth similar to proficiency tests. U will just have to clear a certain mark (varying by universities) and then look at the rest ur application. agree?...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
I don't know about this theory, it might be true. But for me, I would rather have an 790 or 800 than a 710. :-D

When Harvard admit a guy with amazing profile who is totally a leader in making, but only has 650 gmat, they will have to accept someone with like 780+ score to pull up the average right? :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:
I don't know about this theory, it might be true. But for me, I would rather have an 790 or 800 than a 710. :-D

When Harvard admit a guy with amazing profile who is totally a leader in making, but only has 650 gmat, they will have to accept someone with like 780+ score to pull up the average right? :D

Good point and I agree. Every admission officer brags about the highest GMAT they've ever dinged, right? Wouldn't that imply that even the adcoms see a 770 or a 780 as a huge indictor of interest for most schools. The dings I've heard about at info sessions weren't because the person was too intelligent, but because they failed to offer anything else.

I'll trade my 700 for 750+ if anyone is interested :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I've heard this logic before, and it rings hollow. It assumes that a high GMAT score and actual leadership ability are mutually exclusive. Should we start assuming that people with great leadership experience are stupid? No. The only way it could possibly hurt you is if, in addition to your high score, you continued to drone on in your essays and interviews about how smart you were. For me, I think the GMAT and undergrad record proved my ability to succeed academically. That freed up the more subjective areas of my app to focus on leadership, teamwork, etc.

I doubt Tim is a real person.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Like I've said before, it's based on a stereotype, and I'm not sure any of us really know if this is a stereotype held by most adcoms. Even if there are a few adcoms that believe this, a few adcoms do not make it a rule.

I think we've all met people that are brilliant with few social skills, but we've also met people that are brilliant and very socially adept.

McDargoiowkel wrote:
I've heard this logic before, and it rings hollow. It assumes that a high GMAT score and actual leadership ability are mutually exclusive. Should we start assuming that people with great leadership experience are stupid? No. The only way it could possibly hurt you is if, in addition to your high score, you continued to drone on in your essays and interviews about how smart you were. For me, I think the GMAT and undergrad record proved my ability to succeed academically. That freed up the more subjective areas of my app to focus on leadership, teamwork, etc.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jallenmorris wrote:
Like I've said before, it's based on a stereotype, and I'm not sure any of us really know if this is a stereotype held by most adcoms. Even if there are a few adcoms that believe this, a few adcoms do not make it a rule.

I think we've all met people that are brilliant with few social skills, but we've also met people that are brilliant and very socially adept.

McDargoiowkel wrote:

Word. The truth is I know have no idea what AdComs are thinking. If there are enough of the former category that it becomes a valid stereotype, maybe this guy is right. But I don't think so.

You forgot social deviants with low intelligence...I'm sure they're out there as well.
GMAT Club Bot