Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: criteria for moderators [#permalink]
Kudos
i am not particularly fond of the voting idea. the point should be to select someone who represents the principles/values/goals of gmatclub. personally, i think too many people have become moderators too easily (simply by making numerous posts, some of which may or may not be amusing). i believe attaining moderator status should be a natural progression of gaining familiarity w/ the forum, but also displaying respectable attributes and not being an arrogant d-bag. it seems to me that the moderator is to play a largely administrative role on these forums, so i don't see why someone who posts a lot, and shares their oh-so-insightful opinion [read, often arrogant speculation] should just evolve into a moderator. i think the moderator club should be exclusive and confined to a few individuals interested in the upkeep of the forums, not necessarily people who are in bschool and like to give their opinions a lot--not that i'm against reading people's opinions, but there should be more to becoming a mod than that.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I'm afraid I am against the idea of a separate sub-forum restricted to moderators only. In the interest of fostering an open community, I see no reason to exclude members from sections of the forum based on "hierarchy" (the "Trusted Members" and "Essay Vault" fora are exceptions). If moderators need to discuss matters away from prying eyes, that's what the PM function is for.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Praetorian wrote:
so far, we have chosen moderators based on their contributions and their participation. we are a more mature community now. So i think it is time for me to reduce my presence further and let the community choose its leaders. I always thought that our community should survive with us, without us and inspite of us. in that spirit, i request you for help.

what should be the criteria for selecting moderators? how many moderators per forum? how many global moderators? we could have a formal election process. let the ideas flow.

i will still need your ideas and cooperation to keep building this place. be nice. :twisted:

that all depends on what role, exactly, the moderators are supposed to play on this forum...
CEO
CEO
Send PM
nice going so far.

young gun, i see your point. A forum needs contributors who need to feel recognized and appreciated for their work. we need to be inclusive and accept different opinions. no contributions = no upkeep = nothing. in fact, our forum did not really need any upkeep. in fact, it still doesn't. my goal was to build culture into gmat club very early. if gmat club needs loyal members, its members need something to be loyal to. We think that the idea of sharing and learning and being nice is a powerful ideal to be loyal to. i am a known jerk and run this place with an iron hand (or click!). but as our community grows larger, so do the needs of its diverse members just like you.

gradual changes. thats all we can hope for.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
young_gun wrote:
Praetorian wrote:
so far, we have chosen moderators based on their contributions and their participation. we are a more mature community now. So i think it is time for me to reduce my presence further and let the community choose its leaders. I always thought that our community should survive with us, without us and inspite of us. in that spirit, i request you for help.

what should be the criteria for selecting moderators? how many moderators per forum? how many global moderators? we could have a formal election process. let the ideas flow.

i will still need your ideas and cooperation to keep building this place. be nice. :twisted:

that all depends on what role, exactly, the moderators are supposed to play on this forum...

i guess that was the point of my post. what role do you guys want a moderator to play on this forum? so far, the moderator thing has been recognition, appreciation and role models. ok, i did not do a good job selecting them sometimes, but that was the idea nonetheless.

just like the feared praetorian guard, too much power for too long is not good. so , take it away from me before too long.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think the moderators are here to remind people that this is a forum unlike BW. It is a forum where respect for each other and our differing view-points are appreciated, not looked down upon. And a forum where we can have good discussions about a range of topics without resorting to base-less personal attacks when a difference of opinion arises.

I personally like the forum because everyone seems to really care that everyone else here does well, and I would hope a moderator does a good job of maintaining that culture.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Praetorian wrote:
nice going so far.

young gun, i see your point. A forum needs contributors who need to feel recognized and appreciated for their work. we need to be inclusive and accept different opinions. no contributions = no upkeep = nothing. in fact, our forum did not really need any upkeep. in fact, it still doesn't. my goal was to build culture into gmat club very early. if gmat club needs loyal members, its members need something to be loyal to. We think that the idea of sharing and learning and being nice is a powerful ideal to be loyal to. i am a known jerk and run this place with an iron hand (or click!). but as our community grows larger, so do the needs of its diverse members just like you.

gradual changes. thats all we can hope for.

well, as i said, it depends on what you decide the roles of the moderators should be. i generally assume that a moderator is supposed to just enforce conduct rules, and deal with technical administrative issues. rather, on this forum, it just seems like the most opinionated people, those that post often, evolve into moderators. this seems backwards to me based on what i believe moderators are supposed to do on a forum like this. on the contrary, i might even argue the moderators should be among the LEAST opinionated.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
good points again young gun. so you will not make moderator anytime soon. kidding.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Maybe I'm pretty blind, but I haven't seen much for me to wield my Mod hammer or anything. Everything seems to work pretty smoothly. I'm fine with whatever y'all decide
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
I don't if you guys already implement this (if its technically possible) or not but for the sake of selection of moderators how about if the current moderators pick certain people and hand them sections of the forum, most likely those in which they (the candidates for 'moderator-ship') are posting more frequently or are more active or even sought after by other members. Observe them how they handle their section with "moderator-powers" and then vote on it or whatever in your 'closed door session' as to whether you find them likely to evolve into good/bad/etc moderators. just a suggestion i am giving hoping that it doesn't already exist, in which my god! am I going to sound idiotic or what...!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I dont think there can be a onesize fits all criteria. The idea of a sub-forum to discuss not just moderators but sight issues in general isnt a bad idea. It would e like a sounding board for ideas or trouble.

As for who should become mods, I think that it shouldnt really be based too heavily on just the number of posts but the quality and also has the right temperment. Basically they need to have the right personality, inclusive and supportive. In my mind it needs to go beyond just having X number of posts, even if they are valuable they may not really be right to moderate.

Moderator isnt exactly a huge deal anyways, I dont really exercise my powers very often other than moving threads on occasion. People already do get new titles. If people feel the need to be recognized you could always add yet another color to the names and people with 1000+ posts or something would have that color.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I dont think there can be a onesize fits all criteria. The idea of a sub-forum to discuss not just moderators but sight issues in general isnt a bad idea. It would e like a sounding board for ideas or trouble.

As for who should become mods, I think that it shouldnt really be based too heavily on just the number of posts but the quality and also has the right temperment. Basically they need to have the right personality, inclusive and supportive. In my mind it needs to go beyond just having X number of posts, even if they are valuable they may not really be right to moderate.

Moderator isnt exactly a huge deal anyways, I dont really exercise my powers very often other than moving threads on occasion. People already do get new titles. If people feel the need to be recognized you could always add yet another color to the names and people with 1000+ posts or something would have that color.

Agreed, I think a moderator subforum should definitely be created. It doesn't hurt anyone.

I personally don't think we need to change the system. It works well. People who are active should be rewarded with moderator status. As most of us know, people are generally very active during application season and then phase out after they are admitted/matriculate. The new generation of applicants every year should always be the new moderators, in my opinion. In short, I don't think we need to change our strategy in order to survive in the changing economic climate that we currently operate in. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Omne wrote:
Maybe I'm pretty blind, but I haven't seen much for me to wield my Mod hammer or anything. Everything seems to work pretty smoothly. I'm fine with whatever y'all decide

Same here. I've seen a few posts that were borderline, but I've hesitated to intervene.

Prat has done an awesome job with this board so far, whatever he sees fit is fine with me.

RF
CEO
CEO
Send PM
agold got it. this is the idea. we put together a core group of people every year who drive the agenda for that year. The selection has been difficult this year - a lot of great great contributors have graciously give their time to the club. It keeps the forum fresh and informed. board of directors are our advisors, mentors and our most respected contributors that truly understand gmat club. They have completely transformed that way the forum organizes and delivers information to its users.

young gun really made me think for a while with the feedback. I am trying not to require enforcement at all and simply build a culture that persists. we may have to plan ahead for a time when moderators will be required to enforce.

agold may have this system in mind -- https://gallery.flyertalk.com/townhall/talkboard.php

take a look at the set of rules they have -- https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

moderators -- https://gallery.flyertalk.com/townhall/talkmoderator.php

thanks everyone.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Omne wrote:

Same here. I've seen a few posts that were borderline, but I've hesitated to intervene.

Prat has done an awesome job with this board so far, whatever he sees fit is fine with me.

RF

thanks for the kind words. these lessons have been learned the hard way. I found that when I shared everything I knew, I ended up learning a lot more in return. We just try to reinforce this ideal in everyone here.

we really missed mentorship in our lives. an mba is perhaps the last time you get to make a major transformation in your career (unless you do a doctorate, of course) and we need all the help we can get. we just want to make it as easy as possible to help the most deserving of people. this process is so intimidating especially when you are pulling 60-80 hr weeks.

take care of this baby and protect it. its six years old and it needs all the help it can get.

man, i choked up a little. :oops: :oops:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Praetorian wrote:
agold got it. this is the idea. we put together a core group of people every year who drive the agenda for that year. The selection has been difficult this year - a lot of great great contributors have graciously give their time to the club. It keeps the forum fresh and informed. board of directors are our advisors, mentors and our most respected contributors that truly understand gmat club. They have completely transformed that way the forum organizes and delivers information to its users.

young gun really made me think for a while with the feedback. I am trying not to require enforcement at all and simply build a culture that persists. we may have to plan ahead for a time when moderators will be required to enforce.

agold may have this system in mind -- https://gallery.flyertalk.com/townhall/talkboard.php

take a look at the set of rules they have -- https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

moderators -- https://gallery.flyertalk.com/townhall/talkmoderator.php

thanks everyone.

I approve of the flyertalk system. That is exactly what I had in mind.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
agold wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Agreed, I think a moderator subforum should definitely be created. It doesn't hurt anyone.

I personally don't think we need to change the system. It works well. People who are active should be rewarded with moderator status. As most of us know, people are generally very active during application season and then phase out after they are admitted/matriculate. The new generation of applicants every year should always be the new moderators, in my opinion. In short, I don't think we need to change our strategy in order to survive in the changing economic climate that we currently operate in. :)

you can't get rid of us old-timers that easily!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2