Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink]
Especially if you approach it with the attitude that a woman would want to be with you because of you, not because of a JD or MBA. That's real and I believe women appreciate that more than "Hey, look at me, I'm getting an MBA from _______." If they're already in law school, they'll think "So?", or they'll think, "Ok, so he confirms that MBA = "Must Be an Ass" I actually heard that from a guy who was a dual degree JD/MBA at my law school.

agold, i am NOT saying you're an ass lol just so we're clear

agold wrote:
I have a feeling it's just sort of understood. On one hand you have a guy with a few years of real-world experience under his belt who is 26-28 years old and on the other hand you have a broke college kid who is 23-24. Big difference in maturity levels, thought processes, etc. I doubt the law school guys will prove to be any serious competition :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
haha, I was getting ready to use my fire extinguisher...but I see that there is no need this time.

In my opinion, the average top-15 law school student isn't competition to the average top-15 b-school student. Law school students have a bigger potential of being nerds (all you need to do is kill the LSAT).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Kudos
haha, i thought i should get in a comment before this thread gets locked up...LOL
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Sorry for those who cringe at the mention of this name, but has anyone here read Tucker Max?

Is it bad if Tucker Max has actually increased my interest in Duke?

I recommend anyone who enjoys edgy comedy to read the book. It's one of my favorite books of all time. He does argue that UNC has way hotter girls than Duke though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
agold wrote:
I have a feeling it's just sort of understood. On one hand you have a guy with a few years of real-world experience under his belt who is 26-28 years old and on the other hand you have a broke college kid who is 23-24. Big difference in maturity levels, thought processes, etc. I doubt the law school guys will prove to be any serious competition :)

Certainly not. Watch the Columbia follies B-school guy vs. Law School guy on youtube.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I wonder if a bunch of applicants on LSATclub.com are saying the same things about us.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Kudos
a bunch of pervs on lsatclub.com :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
chances of losing your spouse during your MBA (or shortly there after) are much greater than meeting them from what I have heard.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
chances of losing your spouse during your MBA (or shortly there after) are much greater than meeting them from what I have heard.

so the take away is don't get married before b-school, do it after b-school.

I'm using that excuse with my girlfriend.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
so I spent the majority of my workday today reading stories on tuckermax.com. Hilarious stuff.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
liubhs02 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

so the take away is don't get married before b-school, do it after b-school.

I'm using that excuse with my girlfriend.

Unfortunately marriages last at a WAY higher rate than other relationships. I would say that half of my friends who showed up having a girlfriend or boyfriend are now single...some of these folks had been together for years. If you live together its better or if they are in the same city but still not the same. They might decide that if you are this busy with school and you never see each other its definitely not going to improve when you graduate.

Also many people wont move half way across the country without a ring on their finger. A lot of my friends who are married got married this past spring or summer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I have actually not observed the same trend as RR as most of my friends have remained in the relationship they were in prior to bschool. If you want to make a relationship work, you can make it happen. B-school WILL consume more of your time. The key is to set expectations so they know how busy you will be.

Also, I believe if you really care for your significant other, you will make it work. If that means missing a night of going out so you can spend time with him/her or catching up with them on the phone, then do it. Really figure out what is important to you and make the necessary choices/sacrifices.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
LOL
I love it
TL wrote:
nadtrans wrote:
TL, i knew u would respond to this thread. lol

like a moth to a flame my man :P

p.s. i will be running a workshop in Q2'09, for GMAT clubbers looking to step up their game before entering the b school scene. please PM me with your response to two of the following questions (150 word limit on each) so i can tailor the material accordingly.

1.) Please describe your most significant accomplishment as it pertains to your romantic endeavors.

2.) Please describe a time in which you seduced an attractive member of the opposite sex. What characteristics or skills enabled you to do so?

3.) Summarize your relationship experience to date, beginning from high school, and including any one-night stands or other casual encounters.

4.) What's most important to you in a mate and why?

OPTIONAL: If you have never kissed a girl, please explain why and also describe what you think it would be like.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
This is a great book - tucker max is hilarious.

Avernusaur wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:
Sorry for those who cringe at the mention of this name, but has anyone here read Tucker Max?

Is it bad if Tucker Max has actually increased my interest in Duke?

I recommend anyone who enjoys edgy comedy to read the book. It's one of my favorite books of all time. He does argue that UNC has way hotter girls than Duke though.
Own Kudos [?]: [2]
Given Kudos:
Kudos
I second this, it's hilarious to read. Especially the terminology that gets created, 'fuqua foxes'. I'm married but definitely take part in helping my guy friends/ girl friends find people, it's fun. I can say major turn offs are, inflated egos and insecurity. Find that nice place in the middle and don't be a jerk or try to impress. And be funny, but don't be funny if you're not funny. ;)
And yeah, hit the gym. A former job at McKinsey or Goldman's won't erase a beer gut.

chitchat wrote:
As a female, this thread definitely made me laugh really hard, so thanks for that guys.
When I find some more time, I'll post some female perspective comments to the pick up lines. :-D

In the mean time, I will vouch for there being cute, intelligent, single girls applying to top schools.

And yes, hit the gym. The girls are doing it too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm going to claim some inside info here. I live in Chapel Hill, right next to UNC. I visit Duke quite often, as I have a good friend who goes to Fuqua. And I did my undergrad at UVA. (I'm applying to all three.)

UNC is Out. Of. Control. when it comes to hot undergrads. From what I've seen at the B-school, though, you'll do just fine, but nothing remarkable.

Fuqua really is pretty intense. Loads of hot women. And the law school is right next door, and predominantly female, so take your game next door if you strike out in Operations class.

Darden. Actually had a tour there yesterday. VERY impressed with the ladies there - intelligent and well-spoken, in addition to being smokin' hot. You're also right next door to the law school, and I have it on VERY good authority (I dated a 1L as a fourth year) that the women there are super attractive, very smart and generally pretty open to dating guys from outside the law school.

Of course, when the love bug bites you, you'll think your baby is the most gorgeous one in the world, so none of these comparisons really matter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
LOL, this thread is interesting.
I'll be heading to Duke next year and I had no idea!
Great surprise I guess.

Anyway, back to the original question... I've heard many stories of people meeting future spouses at BSchool.
In fact, my sister met her husband at INSEAD and married 1 year ago.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23