Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink]
irishspring wrote:
I'm shocked, shocked by the responses my original post elicited.

Actually not ready.

Fact is, alot of us who are heading to b school (if we get in), have the knowledge we did not in undergrad - that is the college campus is a wealth of riches compared to post work world.

I seriously have to rely on meeting girls at locales like the seat next to me on an airplane and dangit, thats pretty much it.

My dating life since college, and where I met the girl:
1. Girl #1 (she sat next to me on airplane)
2. Girl #2 (she sat next to me on airplane)

When I get on airplane and an old woman sits next to me, I'm like "ok, im gonna be single this year."

LOL. I've met one too many from this method as well. Kudos for putting it so eloquently :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
Those of you that stated they are good looking, please post pictures for us to agree/disagree... :P

I'd like to ask the girls one question: does it matter to you that the BS guy you may have a crush on may be in debt for a ton of money? Or, do you look into perspective? I mean, not all of us were making 6 figures + for years before heading into BS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
When I get on airplane and an old woman sits next to me, I'm like "ok, im gonna be single this year."

Maybe you should be taking the plane more often... or better yet - should you decide not to go to Bschool, become a flight attendant!!! :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Interesting story: I met this first year guy at Duke this weekend who said that a good portion of the girls in the program are married/engaged/already in serious relationships. So even though 35% of the class is women, really only 20% (or some similar number) is "eligible" women. I asked him about the guys, and he said that at Duke, a fewer percentage of them were married/engaged than the women.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
As an FYI, I know that at the University of Chicago they offer dating mixers between the B School, Law School, and the Medical School...at least that's what the students of the B School and Medical School told me when I visited.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
why do i get the feeling this may be a number of GMAT clubbers, come welcome weekends & beyond...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

:P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
I'm shocked, shocked by the responses my original post elicited.

Actually not ready.

Fact is, alot of us who are heading to b school (if we get in), have the knowledge we did not in undergrad - that is the college campus is a wealth of riches compared to post work world.

I seriously have to rely on meeting girls at locales like the seat next to me on an airplane and dangit, thats pretty much it.

My dating life since college, and where I met the girl:
1. Girl #1 (she sat next to me on airplane)
2. Girl #2 (she sat next to me on airplane)

hahahahah
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Not that hard to fathom. Very few other things instantly tell someone

1) This person is self-sufficient (at least enough to afford a flight like this)
2) He/she is likely single, since sitting alone
3) Travels, and is therefore likely more interesting/spontaneous than your token townie at the local bar

and also give you a decent window of un-interrupted, nothing to compete with conversation.

For whatever reason my thing has always been co-ed sports leagues (espec kickball). But anyone who just thinks 'oh a plane ride, ill just bring a book and doze off' is totally limiting their opportunities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Aside from the fact that I'm married, I don't think I've ever sat next to a woman +/- 5 years of my age other than my wife. Maybe once or twice... and I travel a lot. Where are you guys flying that this happens so often?

bostonsparky wrote:
Not that hard to fathom. Very few other things instantly tell someone

1) This person is self-sufficient (at least enough to afford a flight like this)
2) He/she is likely single, since sitting alone
3) Travels, and is therefore likely more interesting/spontaneous than your token townie at the local bar

and also give you a decent window of un-interrupted, nothing to compete with conversation.

For whatever reason my thing has always been co-ed sports leagues (espec kickball). But anyone who just thinks 'oh a plane ride, ill just bring a book and doze off' is totally limiting their opportunities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
egy wrote:
Aside from the fact that I'm married, I don't think I've ever sat next to a woman +/- 5 years of my age other than my wife. Maybe once or twice... and I travel a lot. Where are you guys flying that this happens so often?

I was going to ask the same thing! I don't fly really often (maybe 6 times a year) and I think I've sit next to a woman close to my age once, maybe 4 years ago.

Just walking around the airport you don't see too many women in their 20s or 30s (relatively speaking). When I waiting at the gate I might spot one for the entire flight.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Kudos
Both times I was flying out of Seattle.

I do fly a fair amount.

In fact Im flying tomorrown, and again on Thursday. Quite frankly, excited for the possibilities Thursday. I believe I will be flying out of Charlette back to my home. I think there are strong possibilities on that flight.

As a side anecdote, once when I was flying out of San Francisco, I saw this girl that I recognized from high school. She was a girl I kind of had a thing for. She pretty much ignored me though throughout high school, probably for good reason. Lets just my ugly duckling phase was pretty much age 12 through age 18. Basically.

Long story short, she ends up have the seat next to me! Finally, she turns to me and says 'hey, are you?'. I say yeah. We talk whole flight. She goes on to tell me before getting on flight she had texted another girl I knew saying "guess who is about to board the same flight with me?"

Im telling you. I get lucky with this stuff.

Anyway, feel like I have a blind date Thursday. I wonder who will sit next to me. I hope she is emotionally independent, adventurous, kind hearted, and has a pretty smile.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
LOL you crack me up. Good luck on your blind date!
irishspring wrote:
Both times I was flying out of Seattle.

I do fly a fair amount.

In fact Im flying tomorrown, and again on Thursday. Quite frankly, excited for the possibilities Thursday. I believe I will be flying out of Charlette back to my home. I think there are strong possibilities on that flight.

As a side anecdote, once when I was flying out of San Francisco, I saw this girl that I recognized from high school. She was a girl I kind of had a thing for. She pretty much ignored me though throughout high school, probably for good reason. Lets just my ugly duckling phase was pretty much age 12 through age 18. Basically.

Long story short, she ends up have the seat next to me! Finally, she turns to me and says 'hey, are you?'. I say yeah. We talk whole flight. She goes on to tell me before getting on flight she had texted another girl I knew saying "guess who is about to board the same flight with me?"

Anyway, feel like I have a blind date Thursday. I wonder who will sit next to me. I hope she is emotionally independent, adventurous, kind hearted, and has a pretty smile.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
irishspring wrote:

Mile high club membership attained?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Kudos
hahahah. no.

She was going to see her boyfriend.

I can't believe I didnt mention this story though. I promise it's true.

I was flying from Hawaii. Well I get on flight, and am sitting almost in the back. Well, before I got on flight I notice this girl at the bar. And she looks incredibly familiar. She is very attractive.

Before I go on, I promise this is true.

Well I get on flight, and she ends up sitting right across aisle from me. To my left are two high school girls who have drank too much, and were pretty sick.

I start talking to girl across from aisle, and her voice all but confirms it. I am nearly positive it is her. For whatever reason, I dont ask her name. This girl is drinking quite a bit. She asks me to keep up with her. I run out of money. So she buys me a beer. We talk rest of flight drinking.

Who was the girl? 90 percent sure it was Tara Reid.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
egy wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I usually get stuck next to a plus-size fifty-something with a whooping cough. I guess so much depends on where you are flying. Flying to Vegas or Miami => Odds = Good. Flying to Kansas City or Newark => Odds = Not so much.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
I realize i'm probably also selecting myself out of the seats women my age would probably sit in as I've got elite status on the airlines i usually fly and generally am up front (or when i'm lucky, upgraded to first).

atlmba2009 wrote:
egy wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I usually get stuck next to a plus-size fifty-something with a whooping cough. I guess so much depends on where you are flying. Flying to Vegas or Miami => Odds = Good. Flying to Kansas City or Newark => Odds = Not so much.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
That's a hilarious story. Speaking of attractive famous young women sitting next to me on airplanes, I sat next to Ariana Huffington a few months ago.... oh wait.

irishspring wrote:
hahahah. no.

She was going to see her boyfriend.

I can't believe I didnt mention this story though. I promise it's true.

I was flying from Hawaii. Well I get on flight, and am sitting almost in the back. Well, before I got on flight I notice this girl at the bar. And she looks incredibly familiar. She is very attractive.

Before I go on, I promise this is true.

Well I get on flight, and she ends up sitting right across aisle from me. To my left are two high school girls who have drank too much, and were pretty sick.

I start talking to girl across from aisle, and her voice all but confirms it. I am nearly positive it is her. For whatever reason, I dont ask her name. This girl is drinking quite a bit. She asks me to keep up with her. I run out of money. So she buys me a beer. We talk rest of flight drinking.

Who was the girl? 90 percent sure it was Tara Reid.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23