Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
My interviewer seemed impressed that I had made it to New Haven twice (the second time being my interview) from the dirty south.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For the second personal statement, how many people used essays from other applications versus writing another essay from their list? I have a couple that I think are good that I'm close to using instead of writing another essay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
Yeah, mine was a somewhat modified version of an essay I used at a few other schools.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Unfortunately it looks like there are no on campus sessions until the end of January and no info sessions in my area on the schedule at all, so no visit for me. Thanks for the input though guys!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
formerlehmanite1 wrote:
For the second personal statement, how many people used essays from other applications versus writing another essay from their list? I have a couple that I think are good that I'm close to using instead of writing another essay.

I recycled a couple of my other essays and used it on one of Yale essays. (combined it)

I think this is normal for others as well. I am sure we are not the only ones doing it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Its ok to recycle as long as the essay answers the questions. What I notice is that I cannot simply copy paste because the questions are slightly different for essays on the same topic. Therefore, I had to tweak them to answer SOM's specific questions.

Curious - How did you approach Essay 1. Did you answer "Impact you wish to made" before describing your background?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Virtually my entire Yale app was borrowed. But I would suggest tweaking it a little bit for Yale. I added more of a do gooder save the world angle to my Yale essays for example :-D And on essay 4 I think its fine to use another schools essay but I would reword the topic and tweak the essay slightly. The schools know the topics for the other schools. And I wouldn't use a really specific one like Columiba's practice v theory essay. A more generic accomplishment, leadership, etc essay would be better.

Btw, if you're doing Tuck I would plot those essays together. Lots of overlap. Tuck's Q4 about your personal background and Tuck's constructive critisicm are both nearly idential to a couple Yale topics.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Agreed - rewording and tweaking is important. I thought about using Wharton's mistake essay (my best essay!) for Personal Statement 2, but then I realized it would totally looked canned.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Was there a delay between when you guys entered your recommenders' email addresses into the online system and when they received the recommendation form by email? I'm at about 12 hours and neither of them has gotten the email.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
Was there a delay between when you guys entered your recommenders' email addresses into the online system and when they received the recommendation form by email? I'm at about 12 hours and neither of them has gotten the email.

there should be an option where it sends the emails to your recommenders again. I think they call it "Reminder"

Otherwise, just delete your recommenders in the system and re enter their emails.

However, Yale site is doing some kinda maintenance right now. It's down.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:SOM, Stern
Send PM
After reading the Adcom update yesterday, which mentioned that most of the remaining invitations will be sent out by Chistmas, do you guys know if the rejections will be sent out around the same time as well?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:Haas (R1/WL), Ross (Ding), Yale (R2), Cornell (R3)
 Q46  V46
Send PM
rca215 wrote:

Ask them to check their junk mail folders.
One of my recommender found it in junk mail.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
Potential R2 applicant with a question for you SOM gurus, do you know if the school looks unfavorably on applicants who do not have the opportunity to visit the school or attend its info sessions prior to applying? Thanks and best of luck everyone!

Yes, it is unfavorable.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
rca215 wrote:
Potential R2 applicant with a question for you SOM gurus, do you know if the school looks unfavorably on applicants who do not have the opportunity to visit the school or attend its info sessions prior to applying? Thanks and best of luck everyone!

Yes, it is unfavorable.

They will look unfavourably to someone who comes from "another side of the planet", who has so many visa obstacles and who, in the end of the day, can't afford 2k to visit?!

You must be kidding, or you mean that they look unfavourably just on people from US who fail to visit the school? :roll:
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
They will look unfavourably to someone who comes from "another side of the planet", who has so many visa obstacles and who, in the end of the day, can't afford 2k to visit?!

You must be kidding, or you mean that they look unfavourably just on people from US who fail to visit the school? :roll:

Yale usually tags along on international MBA tours. Wherever you are, you should look out for that (or should've already).

Think about it. You are a recruiting manager at a company and you have few positions to fill. Will you offer a job to someone who hasn't shown slightest sign of interest in the position or someone who has done a thorough research?

It's not that Yale (or any other program) wants you to spend tons of money just to show them love. Little gestures - such as attending local MBA tours and talk with school rep and get business card - goes a long way.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Pathfinder_77 wrote:

Yale usually tags along on international MBA tours. Wherever you are, you should look out for that (or should've already).

Think about it. You are a recruiting manager at a company and you have few positions to fill. Will you offer a job to someone who hasn't shown slightest sign of interest in the position or someone who has done a thorough research?

It's not that Yale (or any other program) wants you to spend tons of money just to show them love. Little gestures - such as attending local MBA tours and talk with school rep and get business card - goes a long way.

The reason I asked is because some schools are more concerned about it than others. I wasn't sure where Yale fell in spectrum (and I'm still unsure).

That said, I still can't get the stupid online system to send the emails to my recommenders.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
I added the most recent stats to page 1 (apparently I was th OP of this thread, I didn't know that)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22