Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
Guys,

How big are your kellogg essays ?
I think a 2 page limit, double spaced is too less.. I cant fit in more than 600 words.
My goals essay is however close to 1000 words ..
I managed to cut it down to 850 .. but still its 3 pages double spaced.
Please advice

All replies get a +1 :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good to know. Thanks for the replies.

Steel wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
MBAngst wrote:
Does anyone know if any admit calls were made after Christmas last year? Can we really expect calls to be made up until Jan. 7?

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but can't help but think that the best I can hope for at this point is the WL if I haven't heard anything yet ...

If you look at last year's thread, some people found out they were accepted on the last day as well as the day before.

Calls are constant all the way to the end.... in fact, one of my friends at Kellogg got his admit call at 5:55pm on the decision day last year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Kudos
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

I think a 2 page limit, double spaced is too less.. I cant fit in more than 600 words.
Please advice

700ish at the moment. 11-point font, double spaced, and 1" margins on both sides, top, and bottom. I'm sure you can squeeze in a few more words if you keep decreasing the side margins.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

Please advice

I had used 10pt Arial, double spacing and 0.75" margins. I think I fit in about 850 words or so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Essays 1-3 - 700 to 770 words
Essays 4-5 - 370 words.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Essays 1-3: 600-650 words
Essay 4: ~400 words

12 pt. Times New Roman. I wouldn't overdo it on the small font and margins. Past a certain point (probably about 10-11 pt. depending on font and 0.75" margins it starts to look obvious what you're trying to do.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

Please advice

2 pages, 1.9 spacing, condensed 0.2 character spacing, Arial 10 pt font, 1" top, 0.5" left/right, 0.7" bottom margins => 1061 words
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
Kudos
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

Please advice

My long essays came out to ~800 words and the short ones were ~400. I wouldn't over-do it with margins. If you find yourself playing that game too much, you should really start to question how valuable your content actually is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: Non Profit / General
Schools:Kellogg Darden, HBS, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Notre Dame
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Kudos
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

Please advice

If you use garamond 11 point font with 1" margins all around you can fit in 800-850 words. Also only leave 6pt whitespace between each paragraph.
Current Student
Send PM
Merry Christmas Everyone! Wish you all the best for coming 2009 :) For those of us still waiting on offers, lots of offers for the new years! :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
arial narrow is your friend...I learned that in B-school when you have to write a 1 page paper for a question you easily could fill a book with.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Kudos
1" top margin, .5" side and bottom margins, 11 pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced = 975 words for my goals essay (includes the restated question)

I'm sure you could fit more words with different fonts, but I wanted to stick with Times New Roman.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
bostonsparky wrote:
Currently finishing up my R2 essays. I know this has probably already been beaten to death here but I would be curious what some people's thoughts are on the differences between Kellogg and Booth. For me it seems the big one is Kellogg's reputation for Marketing and Booth's reputation for Finance (neither of which really concern me) but I'd be curious what some of the R1'ers who already went through this issue came up with. Out-of-class activities, especially social ones would be good to know, heck even useful links (no need for filler prose on official school websites). PM me if you'd like.

First of all both are amazing schools and you really cant go wrong careerwise attending either. Yes Kellogg is stronger in Marketing and Chicago is stronger in finance but it doesnt mean you could get an awesome career in either field coming out of either school. The biggest difference is the diversity of options. Booth places well in MC at the big firms and Kellogg places well in the top big banks...however, you will notice that the specialized and boutique firms wont always be the same at both schools. Booth is going to attract more of the really great small companies in finance fields while Kellogg is going to draw a lot of the more desireable boutique consulting stuff.

So what makes them different...I think a lot of it goes beyond what the school is actually like and more to how students interact. At kellogg every class has group work involved, yes even accounting and stats classes will have some group assignments. If you come here you will get frustrated at this at times...you will have trouble scheduling group meeting times or people not pulling their weight. However, this is just like the real world so in a lot of ways its a huge benefit and you just dont realize it until you talk to 2nd years about internships or alums about their jobs. Its not a part of what you will learn in class but alums have told me time and time again that this is what has helped them set themselves apart in their careers much more than their finance or strategy skills.

Socially there are going to be differences. Something like 85% of Kellogg students live in Evanston...so this means almost all of your classmates are going to live within a half mile of you. This is awesome for social activities but at times it can be a bit much. Go to dinner with your gf/bf or spouse and chances are you will probably run into other people and a nice night out alone turns into a group date. However, you can avoid this...just go to the nicer more expensive places for those special occasions. We are poor students afterall and people tend to frequent the $10-$15 a plate places not the $25-$35. You wont have this same experience at Chicago...yes plenty of students live close to each other but its no where near the same. Everytime I take my dog out for a walk I know I am going to meet up with friends on the street.

However, you can make Kellogg work the other way. You can not get super involved in extra curriculars (trust me fear of missing out drives many people to join tons of stuff)...you can live downtown and commute, you can leave evanston and head downtown all the time. But if you do get admitted and end up attending Kellogg...chances are you are going to love living in Evanston and being involved in the school. Remember every school is going to have positives and negatives. Just make sure the positives are stuff you want a lot and the negatives are things you can deal with. Don't go to MIT if you want to learn lots of soft skills and really dont want an incredibly difficult course load. Don't head to Kellogg if you dont like people much and really want to do individual studies because working on group assignments sound like torture.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
2 pages, 1.9 spacing, condensed 0.2 character spacing, Arial 10 pt font, 1" top, 0.5" left/right, 0.7" bottom margins => 1061 words

OMG, winner winner chicken dinner. That's a lot of words on 2 pages :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
kryzak wrote:

OMG, winner winner chicken dinner. That's a lot of words on 2 pages :lol:

LOL! Yeah, I think last year I was the "king" of squeezing word count into pages. Too bad Haas forced me to do word counts instead of page limits... :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Johnson
 Q49  V41
Send PM
hi all,

planning to apply to R2...scared about essays.

i have IT/consulting bkground and want ot get into strategy consulting. i got this employemnt report from another thread:
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/car ... t_2007.pdf

i was surprised to see it had only 2% going into strategy consulting see pg 4...while 29% go into consulting. please tell me what do these 29% do?

i am surprised to see only 2% in strategy consulting...should that not be more?

thanks!
-rsc
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
rscricket wrote:
hi all,

planning to apply to R2...scared about essays.

i have IT/consulting bkground and want ot get into strategy consulting. i got this employemnt report from another thread:
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/car ... t_2007.pdf

i was surprised to see it had only 2% going into strategy consulting see pg 4...while 29% go into consulting. please tell me what do these 29% do?

i am surprised to see only 2% in strategy consulting...should that not be more?

thanks!
-rsc

rsc, it goes by what the consulting firms choose as their industry in the CMC website. BCG puts in "Consulting" not "Strategy Consulting". Most consulting firms put "Consulting" even the ones that are thought of as the pure strategy firms. Don't take this as too alarming...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  74   75   76   77   78  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts