Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Re: Handbag question... [#permalink]
Hey Ladies,

No, no, it's not the blue/black animal print one! I do have enough sense to avoid animal prints for formal business things. :) Sorry the link wasn't bringing up the one I was talking about...it's the dark bronze one, and should be the main one on the page (if not though, it's the one in the line that's to the right of the gold)....I think the fifth one in line? And yes, if anyone finds anything they love and wouldn't mind sharing, please let me know!!! Thanks for all the opinions and advice. :-D
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Are you talking about one of these Messenger Bags?

https://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c1 ... /category/
Given Kudos:
ElleBee wrote:
Hey Ladies,

No, no, it's not the blue/black animal print one! I do have enough sense to avoid animal prints for formal business things. :) Sorry the link wasn't bringing up the one I was talking about...it's the dark bronze one, and should be the main one on the page (if not though, it's the one in the line that's to the right of the gold)....I think the fifth one in line? And yes, if anyone finds anything they love and wouldn't mind sharing, please let me know!!! Thanks for all the opinions and advice. :-D

I think the bronze is fine? As long as it isn't super shiny like you said. Just get it and return it if you don't like it :)
Current Student
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Miketx wrote:
Are you talking about one of these Messenger Bags?

https://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c1 ... /category/

No...it's the "slick metallic bronze" Bayswater. Kind of shaped like a Hermes Birkin.

WOW! I just clicked the link to see what it's leading you guys back to, and I realized the sale bags have been marked down another couple hundred!!!! It pays to wait!!!!
Current Student
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:
Hey Ladies,

Glad it's not that one! I think the bronze should be fine. Like jlola said, if it's not too shiny, it should work.

During my visits, I saw a lot of girls carrying the Longchamp bags. Not sure if they were for interviews or just the regular daily bag....
(https://shop.nordstrom.com/S/29389780~2376779~6008000~2376251?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2376251&P=1).

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of those. Reminds me of something my mom would carry :P But seemed like a lot of the girls had them....just throwing another option out there...
Current Student
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:
No...it's the "slick metallic bronze" Bayswater. Kind of shaped like a Hermes Birkin.

WOW! I just clicked the link to see what it's leading you guys back to, and I realized the sale bags have been marked down another couple hundred!!!! It pays to wait!!!!

I like the shape of that one! Will it be big enough to fit a portfolio w/ resume and all inside?
Current Student
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Interesting that so many ladies had the Longchamp bags....I definitely wouldn't have guessed that. I had one of those in college for toting around my books and they are quite roomy, but I feel a bit too casual. I actually just got the counterpart to the nylon Longchamp (an Herve Chapelier) to use for toting around books and my laptop when in business school, because with an Herve, unlike a Longchamp, you can actually wash it in the washer which is very convenient. But, I digress...

Yeah, I love the shape of the Bayswater too! I found it another $100 off at Gorsuch this morning and (after calling Mulberry to verify that Gorsuch is an authorized reseller) bought it in the dark metallic bronze color under discussion. I like that it'll match with browns and blacks. I measured out the shape to see if it'll fit a portfolio, etc. and it looks good. I was concerned about that too. I have a Louis Vuitton Alma in Epi Leather (monogram is great and all but I think it's a little over the top for formal business attire) which I was planning on using but then realized my portfolio wouldn't fit in it's dome shape.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
ElleBee - I love the Bayswater in bronze... Definitely gives you some style, but doesn't cross the line into unprofessional. My question is whether you girls think it's necessary to have such a pricey bag? I'm starting to feel really naive for showing up with my regular canvas work bag (not a longchamp...those def aren't my style).

On the topic of interview fashion, I struggled so much figuring out what kind of top to wear under my suit. I always feel overly masculine and ugly in a button-down, so I wore a cute, simple, feminine blouse instead, but I wasn't sure if it was professional enough. My work environment is more trendy than professional when it comes to dress so I never have to wear a suit even with clients. What did you wear for shirts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
That bag costs as much as my suit.

My Armani suit.

Two words: Sample Sale.
Given Kudos:
BigBad wrote:
ElleBee - I love the Bayswater in bronze... Definitely gives you some style, but doesn't cross the line into unprofessional. My question is whether you girls think it's necessary to have such a pricey bag? I'm starting to feel really naive for showing up with my regular canvas work bag (not a longchamp...those def aren't my style).

On the topic of interview fashion, I struggled so much figuring out what kind of top to wear under my suit. I always feel overly masculine and ugly in a button-down, so I wore a cute, simple, feminine blouse instead, but I wasn't sure if it was professional enough. My work environment is more trendy than professional when it comes to dress so I never have to wear a suit even with clients. What did you wear for shirts?

I don't think you need to spend a ton of $$ on a bag, as long as it looks good and professional that's all that matters.

For shirts I usually don't wear button downs either, unless they have a feminine neckline. Otherwise I'll wear just nice fitted shirts/blouses or light sweaters.
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
I don't think you need to spend a ton of $$ on a bag, as long as it looks good and professional that's all that matters.

I agree.

Quote:
For shirts I usually don't wear button downs either, unless they have a feminine neckline. Otherwise I'll wear just nice fitted shirts/blouses or light sweaters.

I usually don't do wear button downs either - they're just not so comfortable. I usually wear a fitted shirt or light sweater. They're more comfortable and involve less ironing :) I also tend to be conservative in terms of shirt pattern, and avoid uber-trendiness when it comes to interviews. I figure there's plenty of time for that after I get into school/get the job or whatever.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Why am i not surprised that this thread gets bigger by the day (and that I continue to read it)? As long as I m posting, lemme put in a shameless plug for Coach handbags (COH). Thats the bag u guys and girls should be gifting this holiday season.

Btw, could the moderators move this thread to the "off topic"/any other relavent section?

(Disclosure: The author had a long position in Coach at the time of posting)

Originally posted by traffix on 31 Dec 2008, 08:48.
Last edited by traffix on 31 Dec 2008, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
traffix wrote:
Why am i not surprised that this thread gets bigger by the day (and that I continue to read it)? As long as I m posting, lemme put in a shameless plus for Coach handbags (COH). Thats the bag u guys and girls should be gifting this holiday season.

Btw, could the moderators move this thread to the "off topic"/any other relavent section?

(Disclosure: The author had a long position in Coach at the time of posting)

I sold my position at $22 for a loss.Otherwise I too would have recommended.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Oh please. Coach is so passe. kate spade is where it's at!

traffix wrote:
Thats the bag u guys and girls should be gifting this holiday season.

I know this is going to get discussed on chat. :) :P
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Personally, I've been admiring Cole Haan's winter line...they are magnificent in detail and style...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
Kudos
traffix wrote:

Oh please, and the looooong thread about which school had the hottest wife/girlfriend/hookup potential wasn't off topic? At least we're talking about interview cloths, which is very stressful for women!

And for the record it's clear that whichever school ElleBee, jlola21, AC, and BigBad wind up at is going to be the school with the hot women.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Hear, hear BigBad!
Threads on ties and suits are apparently allowed to exist on the B-School Application Forum! :)

BigBad wrote:

Oh please, and the looooong thread about which school had the hottest wife/girlfriend/hookup potential wasn't off topic? At least we're talking about interview cloths, which is very stressful for women!

And for the record it's clear that whichever school ElleBee, jlola21, AC, and BigBad wind up at is going to be the school with the hot women.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2