Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Re: Profiles - Admitted to Top B-Schools with Low GMAT Score [#permalink]
Kudos
can we have one with low GPA also? Soni would be the success story.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Great idea, it seems that only 700+ are getting into top schools. Wondering if anyone is gonna post something here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I hope to be one of the success stories with a 660..... but I don't think it's going to happen :x

After browsing this board and looking at some friends, I'm pretty sure I overestimated my chances. Guess I'll be taking the gmat again for the 7th time and applying next year. That is, if I can manage to stay employed. Oh boy. Credit crunchtastic!

Good luck to you guys!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
I know someone who's WL at Booth it that helps... probably reading this right now!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, dont be dissappointed with a low GMAT/GPA. The stats on these forums are lil skewed in anycase. All u need to do is to check the 80 percentile ranges from top business schools and u ll know what I am talking about.

having said that, pay a lot of attention to your essays and come up with a clear career vision. Also, train your recommenders so that u have a very coherent story to present to adcom. Also, broaden your school choices and apply in a diversified mix.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
This thread has been here for several days, but no profiles have been posted. Does that mean people with a low GMAT score are destined to be denied? :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
yhc25 wrote:
This thread has been here for several days, but no profiles have been posted. Does that mean people with a low GMAT score are destined to be denied? :cry:

Right, I was just about to ask the same thing.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [3]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
I've said it many times, and received negative comments many many times, but I'll say it again. People admitted with GMAT scores more than 20-30 points below the median for a given school are either underrepresented minorities or have some other easily identifiable unique factors that support their candidacy. People without such factors and not from such underrepresented groups can rely on little more than pure luck if their scores are more than 30 points below the average.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [7]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Kudos
pelihu wrote:
I've said it many times, and received negative comments many many times, but I'll say it again. People admitted with GMAT scores more than 20-30 points below the median for a given school are either underrepresented minorities or have some other easily identifiable unique factors that support their candidacy. People without such factors and not from such underrepresented groups can rely on little more than pure luck if their scores are more than 30 points below the average.

Pelihu,

Although I don't like the bitter truth stated in your posts, you are usualy right (or should I say "almost always"). Ryguy904 defined a simple formula couple of months ago:

R2 + GMAT<700 = Ding

"We are using the GMAT as an indicator of an academic performance in the first year of study". Probably true, but is that everything? The awfull truth is that adcoms are using lower GMAT as a negative counterweight to all accomplisments stated in resume. Red flag will be raised next to virtually every endevour of an applicant.

"Led various teams on significant projects..." - Yeah, but why can't you score 650 on GMAT then?
"Improved that, initiated this..." - Yeah, but why can't you score 650 on GMAT then?
"Willing to learn, hard working, intelligent..." - (especially here) Yeah, but why can't you score 650 on GMAT then?
"Team player, natural born leader, best in the class, best of the best..." - Yeah, but why can't you score 650 on GMAT then?
"Work under pressure, meeting tight deadlines..." - Yeah, but you can't handle the pressure of the exam and score 650 on GMAT...

I know I will be exposed to the flood of negative reactions for what I've said overhere, but that's the way it goes.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring &amp; Distressed M&amp;A
Send PM
pelihu wrote:

I have to agree with this assessment.

We're talking about top programs here. It's difficult enough for many of us to even get admit to one!

Sure, there are exceptions, but they are outliers.

One admissions consultant I've talked to once said:
"The 80 percentile GMAT range posted in the class profile? Unless you are an african american, native american, hispanic, or female - don't bother look at the lower end of that range."

I didn't believe that person at first, but more and more that consultant sounds right.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
 Q50  V30
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT: 670 (Q:50, V:30, AWA:4)
University attended: ENSAM (French top leading engineering school)
Major(s): Mechanical engineering
GPA / Honours:N/A
Nationality: French / Congo
Work Experience: 6 / Consulting / Associate
Extra-curricular Activities: Many
Community Services: Many

Business Schools (Admitted): Columbia in the ED
Business Schools (Applied but Dinged):

Hope this gives hope :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Eden52 wrote:
Nationality: French / Congo <-- :) :twisted:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
pelihu wrote:

I have to agree with this assessment.

We're talking about top programs here. It's difficult enough for many of us to even get admit to one!

Sure, there are exceptions, but they are outliers.

One admissions consultant I've talked to once said:
"The 80 percentile GMAT range posted in the class profile? Unless you are an african american, native american, hispanic, or female - don't bother look at the lower end of that range."

I didn't believe that person at first, but more and more that consultant sounds right.

I think also coming from an underepresented work experience background can be added to that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
Eden52 wrote:
Nationality: French / Congo

Interesting post, even though I think your GMAT score is actually very strong because u r not expected to score high in verbal as non-native speaker! Q50 says that u r very strong in math (but u r ingenieur right!) Overall 670 is a competitive score...

Wondering if we r gonna see something like white-american-male or IT-indian-male with 610 accepted in any of the top schools
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [21]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos