Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profiles - Admitted to Top B-Schools with Low GMAT Score [#permalink]
However, I am wondering why not so many females score high in GMAT since they usually have much better test scores at school and much better GPA's.
Also, there was some data showing that much more females attend college these days than males

It would be interesting to see by gender and by race type of stats breakdown on the GMAC website but I think they just have scores from different countries and thats all they disclose to the public
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Kudos
Saying hat most of low-GMAT admits at top schools are female is quite different from saying that most low GMAT scorers are female. Just look at the awesome scores of the various AC, jjola21, etc.

I did not get an interview from Stanford. I think it's fair to say that if I were Palestinian I would have stood a 90% admit chance, my profile being just as strong as it is now. The thing is that I would have had a far dimmer chance of building a profile as strong as mine now! So I must say I'm still at an advantage.

It's true that affirmative action can distort the selection process (elites of developing countries/minorities are widely advantaged) yet the schools must optimize for diversity in the interest of their admits, and rightly so.

A thought that lingers in my mind: in retrospective, one should take much more risk in choosing his undergrad job to maximize her chances in getting an admit for a top school: securing a job at a high-level nonprofit, for example. I see far less competition in proportion with H/S admit chances there than in any other industry:

if we format industries as: Industry (difficulty in getting job, admit chances after 2-3 years):

PE/VC (vh, vh)
MC/IB (vh, h)
Non-profit (m, vh)

I would love some inputs on this point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
FYI, it's very tough to get a job at a high-level, well-known non-profit right out of college with no experience. They don't recruit and get a truckload of resumes - every liberal arts major at every university within 100 miles applies for the lowliest administrative assistant position. To get in doing something substantive is even harder, and usually requires that you know someone (either through an internship, a fluke, or nepotism). Just my experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Also, for what its worth, while you might be able to get into a top school with AA, you certainly can't get a job with it.

If you don't have a 3.5+, you're still out of luck. Actually I know there is a lot of frustration amongst minorities that firms go to places like Howard, Morehouse and Spelman to recruit minorities with 3.8s etc., but don't take Ivy League/Stanford/Duke/MIT minorities with 3.0-3.3s as the quality of some of the HBCU's is only slightly above top prep schools.

It doesn't make sense to me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, another clubber suggested that I post my story to this thread. I was accepted by Ross this week with a 650. My stats:

28 year-old white US male. 3.7 undergrad from Wisconsin with a double major in business and English. 4.5 years WE for two small businesses, transitioning from sales into a marketing/brand leadership role. Boss was a Kellogg alum (owned both businesses). Launched a company with my father in Spring '07 that has consumed the bulk of my free time since. Lots of club level activities in college, few since graduating outside of recreational athletics. Heading down a brand/sports marketing path.

I was waitlisted at Kellogg last year in round 2 and eventually dinged over the summer.
This year I applied to Ross, Kellogg, Duke and Wisconsin. In at Ross, dinged at Kellogg, on the waitlist at Duke and will hear back from Wisconsin later.

My GMAT story:

10/07 - 650 (36Q/42V 5.5 AWA)
12/07 - 650 (45Q/35V 5.5 AWA)
4/08 - 650 (42Q/38V 6 AWA)
8/08 - 630 (41Q/35V 6 AWA)

Obviously not the trajectory I was hoping for!

If I had to comment on my candidacy (not in order of imporance):
1. My undergraduate grades were solid, especially in the quant areas. Nothing below a B in micro and macro econ, stats, calc, finance, real estate finance, managerial and financial accounting. I have to think this mitigated the quant side of my GMATs. I did not waste my time explaining my GMAT in any optional essay. What's there to say?
2. Despite coming from a well represented demogrpahic, my work history is different. Both small businesses had a great deal of responsibility/scope/involvement. I was able to write about a wide variety of experiences, especially with the company we founded.
3. I spent a large part of my summer researching schools and wittling down my list to four schools that I REALLY wanted to go and that would be able to launch me after graduation. This meant spending a lot of time talking to current students, mostly over the phone and via email. This was done by contacting the clubs I was interested in and asking the right questions.
4. Probably most important - I was sincere in my interest and in my essays. As per #3, I picked schools that I really wanted to attend. The marginal difference between them is extremely small, in my opinion. Writing my essays was a relatively easy process because I had a pretty deep list of genuine reasons.
5. Specifically to Ross - "fit" can be a pretty esoteric thing. There are tons of programs that people can "fit" into. For me, it was as simple being at ease with the alums and current students and feeling like I had something to offer them as a peer and teammate. I drove to Ann Arbor for my interview (without visiting prior) and met up with an MBA2 that I'd chatted with before. We met for happy hour and I had a great time meeting him and the other Rossers. My interview the next day was very natural and I think my enthusiasm for the program came through. I could easily see myself there for two years.

I hope this is of some help to those in similar situations. As important as the GMAT is, it truly is only one component. Be honest with yourself in what you want to do and the type of program you need to do it. Be sincere. Be genuine. Don't let rankings determine your path for you. Pick places that will make you happy for two years and beyond.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
spiridon wrote:
However, I am wondering why not so many females score high in GMAT since they usually have much better test scores at school and much better GPA's.
Also, there was some data showing that much more females attend college these days than males

It would be interesting to see by gender and by race type of stats breakdown on the GMAC website but I think they just have scores from different countries and thats all they disclose to the public

If you go to the GMAC website they have a report that details everything by Male, Female, Race etc. I think I remember the average white male around 550 and average white female slightly lower. African-Americans were the lowest around 440.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gixxer1000 wrote:
spiridon wrote:

If you go to the GMAC website they have a report that details everything by Male, Female, Race etc. I think I remember the average white male around 550 and average white female slightly lower. African-Americans were the lowest around 440.

Can u post that link, I doubt that GMAC would have such a thing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
spiridon wrote:

The question was not addressed to me - but here is the link:

https://www.gmac.com/nr/rdonlyres/f3b73942-8a93-4fc2-bb8d-1e8735158b80/0/profileofgmatcandidates0408.pdf

You can see the stats by gender, race, age etc. Data from earlier years is also available.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
spiridon wrote:

The question was not addressed to me - but here is the link:

https://www.gmac.com/nr/rdonlyres/f3b73942-8a93-4fc2-bb8d-1e8735158b80/0/profileofgmatcandidates0408.pdf

You can see the stats by gender, race, age etc. Data from earlier years is also available.

Wonderful stuff bunch of kudos for you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi all,my gmat score at my first and only attempt is 400.Very discouraging you'd agree with me!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Re: Profiles - Admitted to Top B-Schools w/ Low GMAT or Low GPA [#permalink]
Kudos