Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: CFA Level 1 while in first year [#permalink]
For Finance you should be done with interviews (if things go well) by the end of January, perfectly in time for the L1 to study alongside classes.

Internships for Banks start in June, but by that point you should be pretty much set up in your study. And the CFA will compliment a lot of your study at school if you head into this field, plus without interviews or recruiting, school does not take 60 hours a week!

It certainly isn't for everyone, but one of my better friends who is one of the most social at school (and I think does well grade wise) took it alongside everything in his first year and hardly missed a night at the bar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Let's say that I will enroll Fall '09. Can't I just study for the materials now and take the exam on June? I mean, the heat of applying to b-school has subsided (unfortunately that's not the case for me as I apply mostly on R2) and the stress of work wouldn't bother you that much (you will resign in a couple of month anyway). Wouldn't that be a prime time to study for CFA? (or other certification that you want)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ozzie123 wrote:
Let's say that I will enroll Fall '09. Can't I just study for the materials now and take the exam on June? I mean, the heat of applying to b-school has subsided (unfortunately that's not the case for me as I apply mostly on R2) and the stress of work wouldn't bother you that much (you will resign in a couple of month anyway). Wouldn't that be a prime time to study for CFA? (or other certification that you want)

it would be prime time, but honestly there is so much overlap w/ 1st year materials, i think its beneficial to wait. you can even cater your schedule to mirror most of the subjects, provided you were going to take them anyways. the material overlap is fairly substantial and definitely eases the study load for level I.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
hey, I am a CFA Charterholder and I would suggest you focus on something else while at school. Especially if you are attending a top school, you will have better things to do. There is a lot of overlap between Level I and 1st year of B-School, so it would be easier but you still have to practice for speed. Kind of like the GMAT, the content is simple but you have to practice.

Focus on your CFA when you graduate, your company will probably pay for the fees and books... my 2 cents.
GMAT Club Bot