Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Will you actively pursue WL?

You may select 1 option
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Waitlist Central: What are your WL strategies? [#permalink]
Depends on the school I think. For Wharton there's nothing you can really do except sit back and wait.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
No strategy...just wait.

Although being put on the waitlist is making me more seriously research the school I did get into, even if the waitlist turns into acceptance. My acceptance and waitlist are at pretty similar schools. I'd just rather be in California than Michigan...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Depends on the school I think. For Wharton there's nothing you can really do except sit back and wait.

Which pretty much sucks, but that's what I'm doing. Just sitting and waiting. Waiting and sitting.
:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I updated my resume and my GMAT score and then I sit and wait. This whole waiting game is really boring to say the least :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
nomsg7111 wrote:
No strategy...just wait.

Although being put on the waitlist is making me more seriously research the school I did get into, even if the waitlist turns into acceptance. My acceptance and waitlist are at pretty similar schools. I'd just rather be in California than Michigan...

I totally know what you mean. It definitely causes you to think more, especially if the school you are WL'd at is your (original) first choice. a month and a half ago I was all about wharton, if I had gotten the acceptance call then I'd have probably sent my deposit in next day and that'd have been it. As a direct result of my WL I:

1) Applied to Kellogg, and continued to get tuned more and more into the school
2) Went ahead with my Columbia interview, and was very, very impressed by what my interviewer had to say, even moreso than my Wharton interviewer (who was no slouch himself)
3) Got to see what kind of aid Duke was going to offer me

As a result what was once a 1-horse race has now become 4 (I say this hoping I'll get into maybe 1 out of Kellogg/Columbia/Wharton) potential schools I could totally, absolutely see myself at next year. I'm sure others have had a similar post-WL 're-evaluation' as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:USC (accepted), Yale (WL), NYU, Georgetown, UC Davis (w/d), UCLA (ding), Berkeley (ding)
Send PM
I was waitlisted at Yale. They suggested I take a math class or retake the GMAT (I've taken it twice already) to improve my low quant score. Unfortunately it seems this is the only way I will be considered. I have no admits but have some decisions pending and upcoming interviews. So we'll see.

If I decide to really pursue the waitlist, I will visit campus, take a math class, and write a letter confirming my interest and updating them on a few recent accomplishments.

Good luck to everyone trying to convert their waitlist into an admit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
After being put on the W/L by Cornell I've completely rethought my whole strategy. I think the whole reason that I was waitlisted was unclear career goals and a poor interview. Unfortunately there's not much that I can do in this situation other than submit another essay which would probably go against everything I had originally said. My GMAT is already high enough, I showed how much love I had for the school and they didn't offer me any specific feedback.

Since the waitlist I've been courted by a sweet little Tier 2 school very aggressively. I'm not going to lie, it feels awesome to be pursued actively (personal calls from the Dean and from the head of the Accounting department) and they're trying really hard to make me forget about Cornell. (It's working, as you can probably see from my current avatar)

A few months back I would have given my first-born to go to Cornell, but since the waitlist and subsequent reevaluation of my short term/long term goals I'm not even sure about staying on the wait list since it makes no sense to pay "sticker price" to go there when I have a huge scholarship staring me in the face at a school that will get me to where I want to be.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think it is time to bump this thread.
GMAT Club Bot