Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
bball, I'm WLed without interview and I thought the same thing -- there's no additional work for the Adcom to interview applicants, so why not just get the interview over with? Strange.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
caligl wrote:
bball, I'm WLed without interview and I thought the same thing -- there's no additional work for the Adcom to interview applicants, so why not just get the interview over with? Strange.

one area where they could run into lack of time is needing to review the applicants and make a decision after the interview takes place. they could have just run out of time - but i don't think that's a good excuse since that would mean it doesn't make a difference to get your application in by r1 if you'll just get reviewed with the r2 pool. who knows what's really up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
What if the WL were people with strong profiles but not with a perfect fit for Stanford. People who Stanford knows would probably get into H or W. Hence they put them on Waitlist to see what happens later. People admitted at H would probably withdraw from the list pretty rapidly.

Just a theory.
Current Student
Send PM
Hmmm, interesting theory, Falibay. Maybe that's why they wait til the end of May to give the WL candidates any more news instead of at the R2 decision date?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
caligl wrote:
Hmmm, interesting theory, Falibay. Maybe that's why they wait til the end of May to give the WL candidates any more news instead of at the R2 decision date?

Yes, that's why I was thinking that. Other schools will give you an answer after R2. Why would Stanford not do that? And for example, I ahve been interviewed but it looks like some people without interviews who are now on the waitlist have a strong profile than me (Or at least equivalent). Why not interview them...

Hence my theory...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q44  V41
Send PM
falibay wrote:
What if the WL were people with strong profiles but not with a perfect fit for Stanford. People who Stanford knows would probably get into H or W. Hence they put them on Waitlist to see what happens later. People admitted at H would probably withdraw from the list pretty rapidly.

Just a theory.

Hmm . . . I don't think it is a "fit" issue with Stanford--I went there undergrad!!! I better be a good fit! :-D From what I hear, Stanford doesn't have a problem with dual Stanford/Stanford UG/MBA, since a lot of my classmates are now there at the GSB. I have a feeling they might be waiting to see what R2 looks like. I have 3 years of i-banking experience and 1.5 years of corp strat/biz dev, so I have a feeling they might be looking to see what other "banking types" they get in R2 to compare me against. ***SIGH*** It is better than an outright ding, but I am more confused than anything else . . .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford, Haas, Cornell, LBS, UCLA
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Ding ! expected...

Been a bad application season so far... Dings from Tuck, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford and almost ding from Haas...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
Anybody else attending the GSB's admit weekend?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Mikus wrote:

Mikus, I'm considering it...there are a lot of factors pulling me toward HBS though, and I'm wondering if it's worth the trip.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
msday wrote:
Mikus wrote:

Mikus, I'm considering it...there are a lot of factors pulling me toward HBS though, and I'm wondering if it's worth the trip.

Totally understand. I think if you think there's an extremely small chance you'd matriculate there's no sense in going. But I also think that if you're legitimately open to the possibility-- it wouldn't hurt to enjoy the weather and meet new people. You only get admitted to the GSB once!

(Although in your case...)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
msday, I would highly recommend you check out GSB's admit weekend. I heard from terry12 it was very well put together and gives admits a great idea of what Stanford can offer. The culture of Stanford and HBS could not be more different, and in your case, checking out both will probably help you make the decision pretty easily. :)

(Plus, the weather is amazing here... :P)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
msday, I would highly recommend you check out GSB's admit weekend. I heard from terry12 it was very well put together and gives admits a great idea of what Stanford can offer. The culture of Stanford and HBS could not be more different, and in your case, checking out both will probably help you make the decision pretty easily. :)

Good call kryzak...I'm really wrestling with the decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
What's the deal with on-line application status? I read on BW that in R1 it was changing from submitted to something like under review or so, but somebody from R2 called AdCom asking that he/she still has submitted and AdCom apparently said that it should be this way. So did you status change or it is still submitted?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
kryzak wrote:

Totally agree. I would consider at least making the trip, to meet some of the GSB folks and experience the atmosphere first-hand. HBS and Stanford do have pretty different feels, so it might be worthwhile to see things in person. I really enjoyed Admit Weekend last year and, after spending the last several years in Boston, I fell in love with the campus and the weather. (FYI, I'm sitting outside in a short-sleeve shirt as I type this.)

I'll do my best to sway you here, of course, but if you decide on HBS I won't hold it against you :)

And mikus, definitely look forward to meeting you in person!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hey,

I just arranged my travel plans. I am coming to the admit weekend. My boss is not happy with this though:)) Hope to see all the admits there...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
Someone on the BW board says he/she knows someone who received an invitation to interview from Stanford. Has anyone here heard anything?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sometimes i just dont believe stuff thats posted in bw forums.. too many nutters there.. ill believe it when someone from this forum or a few more from bw get invites.. anyways good luck to you and everyone..

R1ers.. how long does stanford take to send all their invites? do they send an official ding letter before decision day to let you know or do you just have to keep waiting?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts