Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Non-profit and socially conscious post-MBA careers [#permalink]
Dear toubab, good initiative.

I am also inerested in social entrepreneurship/non profit sector and will be joining oxford Said in fall this year. i am primarily interested in education sector. what are the major nonprofit developmental bodies in education sector where one can join post MBA and make a difference?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Education's not my field, but my sense is that there are often non-profits that concentrate on particular urban/rural areas. Might wanna check that out on a local basis. Also, the Gates Foundation is very active in education... as is the Doris Duke foundation, I think.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
thnx dear +1
Current Student
Send PM
So a big part of my decisionmaking process in picking schools is finding out how many students there are interested in the social sector (and pursuing opportunities post-graduation in it). I think the level of organization and interest in the school's Net Impact chapter is a good indicator.

Compare here:

Duke: https://www.dukembanetimpact.org/

Darden: https://web2.darden.virginia.edu/student ... =88&id=112

... kind of speaks for itself.
Current Student
Send PM
Headline: Solving a Social Problem, Without Going the Nonprofit Route

Quote:
It used to be that people who wanted to solve a social problem — like lack of access to clean water or inadequate housing for the poor — created a charity. Today, many start a company instead.

D.light, a company cofounded by Sam Goldman, who spent four years in the Peace Corps in Benin before earning a master’s degree in business from Stanford University, is an example. Mr. Goldman started D.light with the mission of replacing millions of kerosene lamps now used in poor, rural parts of the world with solar-powered lamps.

What to call these innovative businesspeople is the subject of some debate. The terms “social entrepreneur” and “social businesses” are generally used to characterize people and businesses that bring entrepreneurship to ventures that have a social mission. Yet there are those who would limit the social entrepreneur label only to those without any profit motive. A separate, but related, category are companies referred to as “socially responsible.” These are generally companies whose core business does not necessarily have a social mission, but who display socially responsible characteristics, like environmental sensitivity.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/busin ... ?_r=1&8dpc

Yeah for social entrepreneurship! And also, as a returned Peace Corps volunteer who used kerosene lamps every night as well, I can dig on this.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts