Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I am an INternational applicant from India and applied for R2.
I recieved an email today which said that my application is complete and will be reviewed.
I also received an email on International Student Loans for Duke students.

I have not received any interview invite yet. Has any international applicant experienced the same?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Thanks aau for the update.

Int'l admits have received an email from Ms. Hargrove which says in no uncertain terms that Duke will be able to arrange loans for us.

A real relief for all int'l admits and applicants.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
abhyudaya wrote:

Int'l admits have received an email from Ms. Hargrove which says in no uncertain terms that Duke will be able to arrange loans for us.

Yes, no kidding! That specific BW article referenced above was the result of an internal miscommunication, unfortunately.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Chicago, Kellogg, Duke, Georgetown, BU
 Q48  V34
Send PM
woncosmo, I'm on the same boat with you- received the two e-mails last evening, but have no interview invite yet.
Since I'm an international applicant from asia, naturally I signed up for an alum interview.
Getting a little nervous, does this mean they don't inted to invite me for it?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
abhyudaya wrote:

Yes, no kidding! That specific BW article referenced above was the result of an internal miscommunication, unfortunately.

You don't mean the BW article "Loan Situation Looks Rosier for Duke's International Applicants" is the result of internal miscommunication :), do you ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools:HBS 2011
Send PM
Kudos
finblue wrote:
woncosmo, I'm on the same boat with you- received the two e-mails last evening, but have no interview invite yet.
Since I'm an international applicant from asia, naturally I signed up for an alum interview.
Getting a little nervous, does this mean they don't inted to invite me for it?

Before prompting a deluge of Fuqua-defending emails
I'll state that i'm a huge fan and its my #1 choice if admitted.
But...

1) Received official communication reminding us about R2 deadline, but with the wrong date on it
2) Random email stating all was submitted, but before my interview (which is scheduled for next w/e)

My point is that although the school is great, they don't seem to be managing the communication with us applicants particularly well so i wouldn't get too nervous yet about not having an invite. Good luck anyway!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, gang. Just to follow up on the int'l loan conversation, I wanted to share an email I just received from the dean:

Quote:
I wanted to take a moment to share an update on our efforts to secure an improved loan program for our international students. Fuqua’s leadership team has been working on a number of fronts to address this issue, and I’m pleased to report positive results that should allay any concerns international students might have about being able to pursue their studies at Fuqua.

First, let there be no uncertainty: Our international students will be able to secure loans for their studies at Fuqua without the need for a U.S. co-signer. We have a solution in hand that will meet students’ needs, with terms similar to those offered for the current academic year.

At the same time, we are part of a consortium of top business schools that is exploring other lender options to ensure international students are getting the best possible loan terms.

Other Options

We have been actively engaged in discussions with banks in China, India, and a number of different regions around the world to identify further appropriate loan programs. These conversations have been fruitful, and negotiations are ongoing.

Further meetings are taking place with U.S. regional banks that have not previously provided international loans, but have expressed interest in our loan proposals and in establishing a relationship with Fuqua.

Yet another option being considered is an internal funding strategy that would utilize our own resources to fund the international loans, should that prove necessary.

Though we have already identified a loan program that will suit the needs of our international students, we continue to consider this range of permanent solutions in order to be certain our students are able to secure the most favorable loan terms available.

Next Steps

I will update you and the rest of the Fuqua community with more complete details on the international loan program when all options have been fully examined. By the end of February, we will be in a position to announce to current and prospective international students a package of loan options for students from different regions with varying borrowing needs.

Fuqua’s global strategy and the strong international contacts that have resulted from that strategy allow us to examine a number of loan programs. In the current challenging economic environment, we’re well positioned to ensure the most favorable loan terms to enable students from around the world to pursue MBA studies at Duke.

Blair
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
This is the email we received yesterday from Ms Hargrove.

@Atlantic Regarding point 2), I guess the "Completed" status/email signifies that everything has been submitted by the applicant. I don't think it has to do anything with the interview.

aaudetat wrote:
Hey, gang. Just to follow up on the int'l loan conversation, I wanted to share an email I just received from the dean:

Quote:
I wanted to take a moment to share an update on our efforts to secure an improved loan program for our international students. Fuqua’s leadership team has been working on a number of fronts to address this issue, and I’m pleased to report positive results that should allay any concerns international students might have about being able to pursue their studies at Fuqua.

First, let there be no uncertainty: Our international students will be able to secure loans for their studies at Fuqua without the need for a U.S. co-signer. We have a solution in hand that will meet students’ needs, with terms similar to those offered for the current academic year.

At the same time, we are part of a consortium of top business schools that is exploring other lender options to ensure international students are getting the best possible loan terms.

Other Options

We have been actively engaged in discussions with banks in China, India, and a number of different regions around the world to identify further appropriate loan programs. These conversations have been fruitful, and negotiations are ongoing.

Further meetings are taking place with U.S. regional banks that have not previously provided international loans, but have expressed interest in our loan proposals and in establishing a relationship with Fuqua.

Yet another option being considered is an internal funding strategy that would utilize our own resources to fund the international loans, should that prove necessary.

Though we have already identified a loan program that will suit the needs of our international students, we continue to consider this range of permanent solutions in order to be certain our students are able to secure the most favorable loan terms available.

Next Steps

I will update you and the rest of the Fuqua community with more complete details on the international loan program when all options have been fully examined. By the end of February, we will be in a position to announce to current and prospective international students a package of loan options for students from different regions with varying borrowing needs.

Fuqua’s global strategy and the strong international contacts that have resulted from that strategy allow us to examine a number of loan programs. In the current challenging economic environment, we’re well positioned to ensure the most favorable loan terms to enable students from around the world to pursue MBA studies at Duke.

Blair
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I applied to the Second Round and have interviewed. The Notification date is set at march 10th. Does anybody know if Duke ever tells applicants their decision before the notification date? Or is it always on the notification date? Is it by phone or email?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
applicant1 wrote:
I applied to the Second Round and have interviewed. The Notification date is set at march 10th. Does anybody know if Duke ever tells applicants their decision before the notification date? Or is it always on the notification date? Is it by phone or email?

In R1, there was no advance notice, there was an email on the decision date that said to check status online. I would think R2 will be the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Kudos
Jerz wrote:
applicant1 wrote:

In R1, there was no advance notice, there was an email on the decision date that said to check status online. I would think R2 will be the same.

I believe the R1 status change email actually came a day early.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
LeftOut wrote:
Jerz wrote:
applicant1 wrote:

I believe the R1 status change email actually came a day early.

You're right, I got my dates mixed up. It was a day early.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
What do you guys think about R3 for Duke? Do you think R3 for Duke is a long shot for most given that application numbers have been up so far in both rounds for most schools? I've spoken to a few reps about applying in R3 and most say that each round is equally evaluated. However, a majority of the applications usually come in through R1 & R2. I'm curious whether anyone has heard anything about R3 for Duke.

Thanks,
-M
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mlchang616 wrote:
What do you guys think about R3 for Duke? Do you think R3 for Duke is a long shot for most given that application numbers have been up so far in both rounds for most schools? I've spoken to a few reps about applying in R3 and most say that each round is equally evaluated. However, a majority of the applications usually come in through R1 & R2. I'm curious whether anyone has heard anything about R3 for Duke.

Thanks,
-M

I think R3 is more fairly evaluated in schools with a lower yield (like Duke).
After they have made their R2 offers they must be a lot less sure of class size and profile than at schools with the >90% yields. To get the class sized and in correct demographics and profile i'm sure they do utilize R3.

Anyway, Duke don't have a rep for discriminating against re-applicants so i don't think there is much to lose by firing in a R3 application? Anyway, best of luck
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Atlantic wrote:
mlchang616 wrote:

Thanks,
-M

After they have made their R2 offers they must be a lot less sure of class size and profile than at schools with the >90% yields. To get the class sized and in correct demographics and profile i'm sure they do utilize R3.

Anyway, Duke don't have a rep for discriminating against re-applicants so i don't think there is much to lose by firing in a R3 application? Anyway, best of luck

I disagree - it's not a question of a high or low yield, but rather how consistent the yield is from year to year. If for the past 5 years your yield has consistently been 50-55%, you'd know that you should admit between 1.8x-2x your desired class size, and then manage any slight variation in yield through the waitlist. Specifically at Duke, the deposits for R1 and R2 admits are due before the R3 decision date, so they will have almost no uncertainty over class size when deciding on R3.

That said, your chances of getting admitted if you don't apply are 0, so you have a slightly better chance if you do apply in R3. But you should realize that your chances aren't as good as with the earlier rounds.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Atlantic wrote:
mlchang616 wrote:

Thanks,
-M

I disagree - it's not a question of a high or low yield, but rather how consistent the yield is from year to year. If for the past 5 years your yield has consistently been 50-55%, you'd know that you should admit between 1.8x-2x your desired class size, and then manage any slight variation in yield through the waitlist. Specifically at Duke, the deposits for R1 and R2 admits are due before the R3 decision date, so they will have almost no uncertainty over class size when deciding on R3.

That said, your chances of getting admitted if you don't apply are 0, so you have a slightly better chance if you do apply in R3. But you should realize that your chances aren't as good as with the earlier rounds.

Hadn't thought of that, great point!

That said, surely the consistency that matters is not the 'top level' but that of the section of applicants in which you sit in (i.e. Finance or International, etc.) As the numbers get smaller, the consistency will drop off?

I'd love to know your thoughts on what the loan availability is going to do to yields at any schools and the implications for R3. (I applied R2, its of no direct relevance, its just that since applying I really can't find work as interesting!)
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
As of now, the official admit group on Facebook has close to 200 numbers. I know this is much less than the number of actual admits, but just to give an idea.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46  ...  50