Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategic Management
Schools:La Martiniere for Boys
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 735 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [0]
Send PM
Re: Policy analyst: CAFTA the Central American Free Trade [#permalink]
D.
For the first time, I cld ans a bold face problem with confidence. These BF problems really terrorise me :( . Can sum1 help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Agree with D

Cheers,
Unplugged
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Not sure if it's that clear to me.

Between A) and E), I went with A.

IF the first bold is NOT the conclusion, then what is?

In the end, the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing.

I believe this is a premise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 463 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Not sure if it's that clear to me.

Between A) and E), I went with A.

IF the first bold is NOT the conclusion, then what is?

In the end, the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing.

I believe this is a premise.

I was also debating between A & E, and chose A simply because it fit a little better.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I agree this Q was very confusing.The opening statement makes it appear as if it were the conclusion.

But D has a pretty strong case. If we arrange all the events in chronological/logical order, what is the last word on this whole thing?

Is CAFTA a good thing the last word (or) If we adopt CAFTA for its good reasons, there are dire consequences

Logically it seems to be the later. How can the Policy expert still conclude that CAFTA is a good thing despite the huge loss in income unless there is an evidence that favors less prices to lower incomes. There is not.

Hence I believe it is D.

A was the trap and I fell for it to start with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
I am still confused b/w A and E.......
Though D make sense but i doubt thats it's the OA.

Can someone throw some more light on it.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Hi mates,

IMO D

The conc. is that the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing. And Oursourcing comes from CAFTA. Therefore, saying that the CAFTA is good goes againts the conc. and the second part explains why outsourcing should be disregarded.

OA and Source?

Cheers

rampuria wrote:
Policy analyst: CAFTA—the Central American Free Trade Agreement—is a good thing. If we enact CAFTA, we essentially drop trade barriers between the US and a host of Central American companies; that means lower production costs for American companies, lower retail prices for American consumers, and more income from exports for the US. These are undeniably good things. But all good things in economic policy come at a price. The price of CAFTA’s benefits is the outsourcing of American jobs. For prices to drop and companies to make more money, overhead costs must be slashed. CAFTA lets companies send all their manufacturing jobs to Central America, where workers make a fraction of what American workers make and where factories are poorly regulated and thus cheap to operate. In the end, the savings of the average American at the store will not compensate for the loss of income from outsourcing.

The boldface portion of the analyst’s argument serve what function?

(A) The first offers the analyst’s conclusion; the second gives a consideration that counts against that conclusion.
(B) The first presents a reason in favor of the analyst’s conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
(C) The first gives a reason that counts against the analyst’s conclusion; the second gives a reason that the analyst thinks supports the first reason.
(D) The first is a factor that weighs against the analyst’s conclusion; the second presents an explanation of why this consideration should be disregarded.
(E) The first is the analyst’s conclusion; the second presents a consequence of that conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Send PM
Where does this question come from? I can't find a correct answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts