Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink]
Hi Lumone,

From what I have heard here, you will have access to LBS' career office.
But keep in mind that there are only a few seats for a couple of motivated applicants available.

Cheers,

lumone wrote:

Thanks for the compliment.
I know I have lots of international exposure, but except that I'm an average gut, really.

Question on the HEC/LBS exchange: Do HEC students in LBS have access to the full services of LBS' career office?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Yes, usually all schools work like that. If you do an exchange during your MBA program you will have full access to jobs and alumni network from the schools where you did an exchange program. However be also realistic :
1) usually people can see if you were on exchange or a full student (depending on the detail level registered online for each school)

2)more importantly when you interview on campus in a school where you are on exchange you extremely few chances to be taken because :
a) a lot of interviews are done by school alumni who have seats for their new classmates :)
b) usually the company chose that school because of the reputation/difficulty/historic relations therefore it will be difficult to be considered as a viable candidate if you are not from the school but just on exchange
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Hi mates,

I'd like to add my point of view regarding spanish business schools. But first, let me a couple of lines with my profile: I'm Spanish, Engineer (5-year degree) and 4 years of WE. I hope my point of view can help someone.

As it's told here, in Spain there are 3 top BS: IE, IESE and ESADE. Althoug I'm applying to some US schools, IE and ESADE are my plan B...

However, IESE is not my favourite one at all... why? well, as it is said at IESE's website, this business school was founded by Jose Maria Escriba de Balaguer, who was also the founder of the opus dei movement (https://www.iese.edu/aplicaciones/News/v ... =1&lang=es)... a religious movement. Mates, this is not my business...

Regarding IE and ESADE, well, it's difficult to say which one is better. If I had to choose, I'd choose IE because many friends of mine have done its MBA (although another friend did the ESADE's MBA) and they are very happy, specially because the jobs they get after the MBA...

So, I think IE and ESADE are very good business schools.

Feel free to PM me for further information

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
However, IESE is not my favourite one at all... why? well, as it is said at IESE's website, this business school was founded by Jose Maria Escriba de Balaguer, who was also the founder of the opus dei movement (https://www.iese.edu/aplicaciones/News/v ... =1&lang=es)... a religious movement. Mates, this is not my business...

Cool. So I am not the only one who think a school founded by religious types is creepy.

I have met an admissions guy from IE at an MBA fair and the school looks good. I might as well include it my plan B, too. The only concern is that they want almost the same tuition fee amount as INSEAD. Come on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Yes, agree

however, here in Spain IE is the first option for a lot of people...

regading IESE, I'd never apply there, but I have to say that the chances post-MBA are amazing. THe reason is that the chances usually come from companies whose CEOs are close to that relogious movement...

Definitely, it's not my business...

Cheers
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Tuck
 Q45  V40
Send PM
I am from Barcelona and I want to say that IESE is one step forward compared with IE and ESADE. I understand that people don't want to apply because of the religious background, but no one can deny that IESE places its MBA's in better jobs than the other two schools. Besides, I doubt that the teaching is influenced by Opus dei.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
I just returned from a campus visit and an IESE interview. I spoke to many students about the opus relationship. Thier feedback was that it is in the founding of the school and is not pushed on students (catholisim). I did notice a cross in the back of the classrooms. The school does stress ethics (which I don't think is a bad thing). Over all I was very impressed with the students and professors. I don't think the religious aspect should deter people from applying to IESE (btw Notre dame and others are founded by religious organizations). Let me know if you ave any questions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Would agree with previous posts, IESE is definitely the #1 program in Spain. Many of the same big recruiters who go to IESE also recruit at LBS and INSEAD - not because of any opus dei connections.

I checked out IESE's campus and spoke to many current students. They were all about having fun and working hard and couldn't care less about opus dei.

I'd def. also choose IESE over IE at the moment because of the economy. IESE will keep you guarded in school for the next 2 years, IE is only a 1 yr program. The same would go for most 2 yr programs vs. their 1 yr counterparts (LBS vs. INSEAD & IMD; IESE & ESADE vs. IE).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Hi guys,

A couple of things:

I've heard that IESE is opening a new business school in NYC (Manhattan)

Regarding the companies that recruit at IESE, well, it's true that they are big companies, but it's also true that they are managed by people who belong to that religious movement and that are MBA by IESE.

However, I have to say that it's very common that CEOs recreuit in their own business school.

Probably, during the course there are no evidences of relogious aspects, but there is no doubt that you are financing a relogious movement. Although you don't follow the religious rules or you don't believe in anything, you are giving your support to people who do and (which is worst) try to impose their beliefs to others.

Regards
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
You do realize that many US universities were founded by the Jesuits (a Roman Catholic order ie Soldiers of Christ) and other religious orders. DO you feel that same way about all religous influenced/ founded schools? Below is a partial list of Universities with religious affiliations:

Boston College
Fordham University
Loyola
Georgetown
Notre Dame
among others

JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi guys,

A couple of things:

Regarding the companies that recruit at IESE, well, it's true that they are big companies, but it's also true that they are managed by people who belong to that religious movement and that are MBA by IESE.

However, I have to say that it's very common that CEOs recreuit in their own business school.

Probably, during the course there are no evidences of relogious aspects, but there is no doubt that you are financing a relogious movement. Although you don't follow the religious rules or you don't believe in anything, you are giving your support to people who do and (which is worst) try to impose their beliefs to others.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Yes and thanks god 2 things:

· No one is in my list (to be honest I really hope no one in my list is related with religious aspects: although I investigated them no oen knows...)

· We are in the XXI century, and all the developed countries (or at least almost all) are secular, which means it's not necessary that any church gives me an education :lol:

smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
You do realize that many US universities were founded by the Jesuits (a Roman Catholic order ie Soldiers of Christ) and other religious orders. DO you feel that same way about all religous influenced/ founded schools? Below is a partial list of Universities with religious affiliations:

Boston College
Fordham University
Loyola
Georgetown
Notre Dame
among others

JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi guys,

A couple of things:

Regards
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Got my acceptance to IESE today! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V28
Send PM
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:

I just can say: congratulations!! :good

I think you'll enjoy Barcelona
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:

I just can say: congratulations!! :good

I think you'll enjoy Barcelona

John thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Congrats!!

You've done 7, possibly 8, applications in the same round?! :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
lumone wrote:
Congrats!!

Yeah, I damn near killed myself getting the apps done. Two schools were due Dec 8th (IESE, Haas), 4 due Jan 7th (Yale, Columbia, Darden, Duke) & 2 due 15th ish (NYU, Gtown). The spread made it a little more managable

To make thing easier I made a master "app" in MS-word with everything the schools asked for:
work info
gmat
gpa
extracurullar
address
etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
lumone wrote:
Congrats!!

Yeah, I damn near killed myself getting the apps done. Two schools were due Dec 8th (IESE, Haas), 4 due Jan 7th (Yale, Columbia, Darden, Duke) & 2 due 15th ish (NYU, Gtown). The spread made it a little more managable

To make thing easier I made a master "app" in MS-word with everything the schools asked for:
work info
gmat
gpa
extracurullar
address
etc.

Your rock!
:pray
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5