Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink]
Congrats!

Does that mean your company will have a position opening soon? :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
So I am happy to report that I just got my Tech VC internship offer that begins from March to July (with further option for Summer internship after my 1st year based on my exit-evaluation). I am especially thrilled about this opportunity because they don't even usually have summer interns from bschool, especially in tough times like this. They usually hire their associates via recommendation only.

I will be assigned to one of their companies (currently in their portfolio) in software/application development. I've been working as Risk Services Application Solution Architect at my current company for only about a year now. So I am both excited about this opportunity and also little nervous.

I guess I will give my 3 week notice to HR today.
:twisted:

I've been dreaming about putting in my 2 week notice. I am at least 3.5 months away from that though...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Wow, the job market must be really bad for people to WANT my job. :-D

Thanks for all the congrats. I am sure I will have plenty of opportunities in the near future to congratulate you guys as well.

Little info on my internship:

* Tech VC HQ is located in Williamstown, MA. I will be working out of their NYC office but mainly, I will be assigned to a software company they invested in, and I will be on working at the partner firm most of the time. According to its website, the firm is a seed and early stage venture capital firm focusing on three primary sectors: consumer media and retail, health care and financial services. They partner with leading entrepreneurs creating innovative products and solving complicated problems in those industries.

* The firm operates as a national network of more than a dozen early-stage venture capital funds in various markets with limited venture capital presence. Among it's partner funds are Point Judith Capital, Berkshires Capital Investors, Long River Ventures, Borealis Ventures, FreshTracks Capital, Solstice Capital, High Peaks Venture Partners, Spring Mill Venture Partners, Highway 12 Ventures, Swarraton Partners, Inflexion Partners and Tall Oaks Capital.

* I went to a dinner with my fiancee and her old boss at her previous employer. My fiancee told him before our dinner that I was admitted to Yale SOM. As a Yale alum (not SOM), he offered to help me with my future career plans. I expressed to him that I was interested in working at a tech startup and asked him if there are any opportunities at his firm. Based on our phone conversation, he suggested that I meet one of his former colleague who is a partner at a tech VC. Long story short, I flew to MA and met the guy. He matched my work background with the needs at one of the Sillicon Alley start-up that they invested in. I was offered a paid internship opportunity to work with that company.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Tuck
 Q45  V40
Send PM
Hi, I am thinking that I could do an internship before starting the MBA but I lost myself looking for this kind of internships. Do you know how to find internships for preMBA students?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
* I went to a dinner with my fiancee and her old boss at her previous employer. My fiancee told him before our dinner that I was admitted to Yale SOM. As a Yale alum (not SOM), he offered to help me with my future career plans. I expressed to him that I was interested in working at a tech startup and asked him if there are any opportunities at his firm. Based on our phone conversation, he suggested that I meet one of his former colleague who is a partner at a tech VC. Long story short, I flew to MA and met the guy. He matched my work background with the needs at one of the Sillicon Alley start-up that they invested in. I was offered a paid internship opportunity to work with that company.[/color]

Those of you interested in VC and startups, pay attention to the above. This is a classic story and sounds flawlessly executed. Ninkorn played every step of this the right way from what I can tell. Network, get an introduction, meet in person if you can, work with a portfolio firm first, then eventually get into the VC side.

Ninkorn, very nicely done.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
ninkorn wrote:
So I am happy to report that I just got my Tech VC internship offer that begins from March to July (with further option for Summer internship after my 1st year based on my exit-evaluation). I am especially thrilled about this opportunity because they don't even usually have summer interns from bschool, especially in tough times like this. They usually hire their associates via recommendation only.

I will be assigned to one of their companies (currently in their portfolio) in software/application development. I've been working as Risk Services Application Solution Architect at my current company for only about a year now. So I am both excited about this opportunity and also little nervous.

Ninkorn that's awesome, congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Booth, Kellogg, Haas, Johnson, Duke, Ross
 Q50  V40
Send PM
olive wrote:
ninkorn wrote:

Ninkorn that's awesome, congratulations!

I agree... great job! I am looking out for something similar as well - hoping it stands out while recruiting.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
incredible stuff ninkorn !! well done ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
I did a pre-MBA internship in healthcare (biopharma) before starting school this year. I thought it was a great experience. I was previously in academics and hadn't worked in any proper industry before, so the internship was really valuable. And I was still able to finish up at the end of July and take ~six weeks off before school started :-D

If you decide to do this, you should be aware that you'll need to leverage your existing connections. Most schools know that there's a fair amount of school-switching (waitlist movement, etc.) through the summer, so you probably won't get access to job and alumni boards until at least the beginning of summer (and possibly much later), far past the deadlines for any internship gig. And despite having "X Business School, Class of 2011" at the top, your resume isn't likely to get much attention when submitted cold via a website. Last year I submitted resumes to 10-12 companies via websites without any preexisting connections; I didn't get a phone call or email from any of 'em. I was much more successful with the resumes I submitted via people I knew.

This is a great idea. Good to know you can do this!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Bump. Anyone looking for pre-mba internships this year?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I thought about it but I think I will move a couple of months before schools starts and therefore wouldn't be able to do one, unless I moved earlier and got one in Austin.

More than an actual internship I've started reaching out to contacts in my target industry, basically giving them the heads up that I will be bothering them come fall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Bump. Anyone looking for pre-mba internships this year?

I actually am. Would love something with either a hedge fund or PE firm. Not really sure the best way to go about getting it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Actually I would love to get one in a Tech VC firm myself. Never even thought about this, but not very interested.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
I would say 80% pursuing contacts 20% cold-calling (moreso cold-website-resume-submitting).

anyone know how this would work? submitting a resume online, would you list your intended school even though you're not a student yet?

i'd love to do a pre-mba internship or even one of the short summer "camps" at the consulting firms or CPG's
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I haven't had any luck so far. Probably contacted about 15-20 IB or PE firms in the area. Got responses from most of them, but no takers. I always sent an email with my resume, I did not cold call. Large firms generally had structured internship programs in place and said they don't hire pre-MBA people. Smaller ones either said they don't take interns or "no thanks, have fun at school." Made some contacts that seemed interested in staying in touch while I was at school.

I don't have a ton of connections, so it's been tough. I got a few email addresses from friends, or if they're on the company website, or I just guessed at it based on the person's name and the way email addresses look to be constructued at a particular firm (e.g. lastname.firstname@xyzcorp).

Obviously, I could've tried to contact many more firms, but I started getting to the point where I was looking into firms I had never heard of or knew anything about. And when I asked myself, will I work at any IB/PE shop this summer just to get the experience, I started to hesitate. I'm not sure if it was the allure of having a summer off, or tired of being denied for a spot that may not even be available, or that I'm not as gung-ho as I should be about these careers. Either way, I'm about to throw in the towel and just take it easy this summer and do some other prep for school.

Also, there is a separate thread in the Career Forum:

pre-mba-internship-87881.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:
I would say 80% pursuing contacts 20% cold-calling (moreso cold-website-resume-submitting).

anyone know how this would work? submitting a resume online, would you list your intended school even though you're not a student yet?

i'd love to do a pre-mba internship or even one of the short summer "camps" at the consulting firms or CPG's

When I sent my resume, I hadn't updated it yet to show HBS. I did mention in the email I was attending, though, and just a short couple paragraphs about my background and that I'm interested in XYZ.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Good work on actually trying. Most people wouldn't bother or wouldn't dare. I would definitely keep in touch with the contacts who encouraged you to do so, perhaps even set up informational interviews before you head off to school.

PBateman wrote:
I haven't had any luck so far. Probably contacted about 15-20 IB or PE firms in the area. Got responses from most of them, but no takers. I always sent an email with my resume, I did not cold call. Large firms generally had structured internship programs in place and said they don't hire pre-MBA people. Smaller ones either said they don't take interns or "no thanks, have fun at school." Made some contacts that seemed interested in staying in touch while I was at school.

I don't have a ton of connections, so it's been tough. I got a few email addresses from friends, or if they're on the company website, or I just guessed at it based on the person's name and the way email addresses look to be constructued at a particular firm (e.g. lastname.firstname@xyzcorp).

Obviously, I could've tried to contact many more firms, but I started getting to the point where I was looking into firms I had never heard of or knew anything about. And when I asked myself, will I work at any IB/PE shop this summer just to get the experience, I started to hesitate. I'm not sure if it was the allure of having a summer off, or tired of being denied for a spot that may not even be available, or that I'm not as gung-ho as I should be about these careers. Either way, I'm about to throw in the towel and just take it easy this summer and do some other prep for school.

Also, there is a separate thread in the Career Forum:

pre-mba-internship-87881.html
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4