Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink]
People look for it in consulting, and the government has been including the PMP as a qualification on many of their major RFPs.

I personally am not a fan of the PMP certification. Probably because most people I know who have PMPs don't practice good project management so it makes me think twice about the purpose of the certification. I haven't gotten it because I'm not convinced it really means anything. If I wasn't getting an MBA I would have gotten one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I could prob get my company to pay for it before I leave, so I'm thinking why not. Just another thing to add to my resume.
Given Kudos:
Oh then definitely get it. If I got it I'd have to pay it back, which is why I'm not considering it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
My take on the PMP - is we have a ton of them around here. So obviously we hire people with the certification. The thing I notice the most about the certification is that few of these people ever become "management" around here, they just become a senior PM or move on to bigger more high profile projects.

If you want to be a career project manager I think the certification adds value and shows your commitment to the field of project management, if not I think there are other areas of study that could add more value (of course I don't know what they are)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: GM or Marketing in Digital Media/Internet Products
Schools:Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Since I'm in engineering I'm planning on getting this to help my case in showing that I have what it takes in terms of project management to transition to a business role. If your company is going to pay for it why not.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Well if you are going to get your PMP then you are already a PM or have 3+ years of documented experience in leading project tasks.

From PMI handbook.

Minimum three years/36 months unique
non-overlapping professional project
management experience during which at
least 4,500 hours were spent leading and
directing project tasks*

35 contact hours of formal
education

Here are the requirements from a basic google search.

A bachelor's degree and 4,500 hours of PM experience in the five process groups, OR, a secondary school diploma and 7,500 hours of PM experience in the five process groups.

35 contact hours of classroom instruction that relate to project management objectives. Several types of courses fulfill this requirement.

Supporting Documentation is required for the above qualifications.

Pass the PMP exam, which consists of 200 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 4 hours.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
olive wrote:
People look for it in consulting, and the government has been including the PMP as a qualification on many of their major RFPs.

I personally am not a fan of the PMP certification. Probably because most people I know who have PMPs don't practice good project management so it makes me think twice about the purpose of the certification. I haven't gotten it because I'm not convinced it really means anything. If I wasn't getting an MBA I would have gotten one.

Amen to that. I noticed that a guy that I work with just added PMP to his e-mail signature. I always wondered 1) how this guy got his job and 2) how he manages to keep it. And as far as PM skills go, well I won't even start. The people I know that have it have soured me on it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I agree that those who seem to have it suck as managers. I
Given Kudos:
highhopes wrote:
olive wrote:

Amen to that. I noticed that a guy that I work with just added PMP to his e-mail signature. I always wondered 1) how this guy got his job and 2) how he manages to keep it. And as far as PM skills go, well I won't even start. The people I know that have it have soured me on it.

LOL I had this one guy try to tell me once that getting a PMP was equivalent to an MBA. I just nodded and said "yeah, maybe."
And adding PMP to signatures is tacky in my opinion, funny nonetheless.

HOWEVER, I would get a PMP if my company would pay for it and I didn't have to pay it back - why not right? It's definitely a good thing to have because it expands the number of proposals you can be bid on in the consulting world.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I had a guy tell me once a PhD from Univ of Phoenix was great. I'm not kidding.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I've heard mixed opinions about the PMP cert. I'd consider getting one someday, but I'm not sure if I need it. Project management varies significantly between industries, so I'd imagine that the value is different for everyone. I'd be interested in seeing a typical day for a project/program manager in another industry. In Aerospace, we generally manage fewer programs for longer periods of time.

For now, I just read books that sound interesting. If only there was a book that could explain why MS Project is so unreliable.

I've read countless reviews for the PMBOK where people state that the text is simply unpractical and useless. Nevertheless, that's the material that you will be tested on in the PMP exam.

Here's a review from Amazon:
Let me start by saying that I did study the book along with other study materials, took the PMP exam and passed. Having some organized body to professionally certify project managers is a good idea. However, this book flat out stinks. It's incredibly wordy and makes simply concepts way too complex. That seems to be a major flaw with the entire PMI model. They are trying to make project management a science. It's not.

That being said, the certification process is worth your time. I did learn a lot. Just don't become a "PMI Junkie". Let me explain. Many of the things PMI teaches are a bit silly and don't really apply to real life situations. There are some out there that just take what PMI says as the complete truth without questioning anything or seeing how the teachings relate to the workplace. These are people I call "PMI Junkies".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
I had a guy tell me once a PhD from Univ of Phoenix was great. I'm not kidding.

I work for a blue-chip company and have people from MIT, Stanford, Georgia tech and Univ of Phoenix too :) It must have worked out for that guy!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PMP is definitely the training to take for project management, no doubt!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My friend talks about this all the time, does anyone know APMP
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wonder who would win a tussle between APMP and PMI
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is anyone here even know about project management structures and methodologies?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How do the blue chip people at MIT view this, Lionidas?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2