Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [49]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [2]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [1]
Send PM
Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive title [#permalink]
Kudos
icandy wrote:
I chose E.

How do you explain the word drawback in the option A?

The Stem does not say usage of titles will help. Does not say that because they are not using titles they are losing this. It is ** possible** but not given there.

Hi icandy,

Option A states the following:
The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy.

IMO, the second part of option A doesn't even say that if corporations stop the practice of shunning titles, the communication gap will decrease. He, in fact, agrees to some extent that the shunning of titles might help in reducing internal communication barriers. The word drawback points to some OTHER part that will get affected. That part which will have a negative impact with the adoption of this strategy is external businesses' dealing. This negative impact is what the word drawback refers to. This is what I draw from the sentence.

To be doubly sure, if you go through the last line of the excerpt (also mentioned in my explanation for option C), you will notice that he's not against the corporations' views. It's just that he's trying to get their (corporations') attention to external businesses' dealing, which will have a negative impact because of the implementation of this strategy.

Does it make some sense now?

Regards,
Technext
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive title [#permalink]
Technext wrote:
icandy wrote:
I chose E.

The Stem does not say usage of titles will help. Does not say that because they are not using titles they are losing this. It is ** possible** but not given there.

Hi icandy,

The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy.

IMO, the second part of option A doesn't even say that if corporations stop the practice of shunning titles, the communication gap will decrease. He, in fact, agrees to some extent that the shunning of titles might help in reducing internal communication barriers. The word drawback points to some OTHER part that will get affected. That part which will have a negative impact with the adoption of this strategy is external businesses' dealing. This negative impact is what the word drawback refers to. This is what I draw from the sentence.

To be doubly sure, if you go through the last line of the excerpt (also mentioned in my explanation for option C), you will notice that he's not against the corporations' views. It's just that he's trying to get their (corporations') attention to external businesses' dealing, which will have a negative impact because of the implementation of this strategy.

Regards,
Technext

No it does not as I am going word to word.

The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem;

I guess both of us agree that the strategy that is being referred to here is the practice of Some corporations shun the use of executive titles. A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines. I can't exactly say that use of titles will help facilitate business developments with external resources is a drawback. My point is the the strategy is fixed in the first part of A and it is the same strategy referred in second part of A
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
icandy wrote:
Technext wrote:
icandy wrote:
I chose E.

Hi icandy,

Regards,
Technext

No it does not as I am going word to word.

The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem;

I guess both of us agree that the strategy that is being referred to here is the practice of Some corporations shun the use of executive titles. A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines. I can't exactly say that use of titles will help facilitate business developments with external resources is a drawback. My point is the the strategy is fixed in the first part of A and it is the same strategy referred in second part of A

------------------
1st boldface: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles

2nd boldface: use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses

------------------

Hi icandy,

Yes, we both agree as to what the strategy is.

What I can infer from your comments (“A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines”) is that when you're reading the 2nd boldface statement, it mentions a +ve statement about the 'use of titles' w.r.t. external dealings, and this +ve remark is causing problem for you. You're thinking that the statement is mentioning something +ve, then how come it's a drawback? Isn't it? Anyone will think the same.

But it seems you’re ONLY & ONLY reading the two boldface statements. Had I read it in the same way, even I would have raised my concern as you did. As far as I know, when we consider two boldface statements, we don’t just have to focus on them; we also have to look what’s before and what’s after them. We also have to look for reasons because of which the author mentioned those two boldface statements. This will help us in finding out the roles that these boldfaces play.

If you disagree with me on this stand, then tell me why the need for all other sentences, or for that matter, why the need for those two sentences (which boldface fragments are part of) when only the two boldface fragments could have sufficed?

In that case, we could have simply framed the question like this:
======================================================

2nd boldface: use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses

What roles do the two boldfaces play?
Option 1) ...
Option 2) ...
Option 3) ...
Option 4) ...

Let me know your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Technext
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Technext wrote:

What I can infer from your comments (“A draw back to the strategy would be lack of titles hinder business development with external resources or some thing on similar lines”) is that when you're reading the 2nd boldface statement, it mentions a +ve statement about the 'use of titles' w.r.t. external dealings, and this +ve remark is causing problem for you. You're thinking that the statement is mentioning something +ve, then how come it's a drawback? Isn't it? Anyone will think the same.

But it seems you’re ONLY & ONLY reading the two boldface statements. Had I read it in the same way, even I would have raised my concern as you did. As far as I know, when we consider two boldface statements, we don’t just have to focus on them; we also have to look what’s before and what’s after them. We also have to look for reasons because of which the author mentioned those two boldface statements. This will help us in finding out the roles that these boldfaces play.

If you disagree with me on this stand, then tell me why the need for all other sentences, or for that matter, why the need for those two sentences (which boldface fragments are part of) when only the two boldface fragments could have sufficed?

In that case, we could have simply framed the question like this:

What roles do the two boldfaces play?
Option 1) ...
Option 2) ...
Option 3) ...
Option 4) ...

Let me know your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Technext

I have been using the exact wording of the two bold face statements. When I first started out, I looked for the whole meaning. How ever, it just does not make sense to answer the role of the bold faces in the context when the Q it self does not point it out that way. You might say it is implied. If what you are saying is correct, I dont know what to say. Oh well! Good old GMAC! Rules to their whims and fancies.

In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

There have been numerous, seriously numerous instances where the Q eliminates other answers strictly based on the words used to refer to the role of bold face. I just dont understand how to make up a strategy for questions on a slippery slope. I as down to A & E and felt that the word drawback makes it more evil compared with the verbiage in E. You feel the contrary that justification is evil compared with drawback.

Edit: It seems the words consultant's reasoning refers to the argument as a whole.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
Send PM
icandy wrote:

There have been numerous, seriously numerous instances where the Q eliminates other answers strictly based on the words used to refer to the role of bold face. I just dont understand how to make up a strategy for questions on a slippery slope. I as down to A & E and felt that the word drawback makes it more evil compared with the verbiage in E. You feel the contrary that justification is evil compared with drawback.

Edit: It seems the words consultant's reasoning refers to the argument as a whole.

Rule/Methodology to approach a given type of problem will never change from one question to another; it will always remain the same. I'm very sure that you'll agree with this point.

We'll just have to investigate it a little further to get a clear picture. Whenever I'll come across any similar type (obviously with the one that outlines a proper approach to such questions :) ) problem, I'll post it.

Anyways, what's the answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Technext is correct. When the question asks "the two portions in boldface play WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ROLES", it is not asking what the portions in boldface mean IN ISOLATION. It is asking how each one is used in the overall argument, i.e., what logical function each one serves IN CONTEXT.

So although the second boldface section is a positive statement, it is a positive statement that results from doing what the strategy AVOIDS doing. Therefore, it identifies a drawback of the strategy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
grumpyoldman wrote:
Technext is correct. When the question asks "the two portions in boldface play WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ROLES", it is not asking what the portions in boldface mean IN ISOLATION. It is asking how each one is used in the overall argument, i.e., what logical function each one serves IN CONTEXT.

So although the second boldface section is a positive statement, it is a positive statement that results from doing what the strategy AVOIDS doing. Therefore, it identifies a drawback of the strategy.

Thanks a lot for clarifying our doubts sir! It was very much needed.

Now we’ll be able to attack these questions with more confidence.

Regards,
Technext
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Kudos
icandy wrote:
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they
fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Clearly, corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication
within the corporation.
In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following
roles?

A. The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy.
B. The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the effectiveness of that strategy as a means of achieving that goal.
C. The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration the consultant raises in questioning the significance of that problem.
D. The first is part of an explanation that the consultant offers for a certain phenomenon; the second is that phenomenon.
E. The first describes a policy for which the consultant seeks to provide a justification; the second is a consideration the consultant raises as part of that justification.

I would guess (A), because that's the best description matching both boldface portions.

B - 1st part is right, 2nd part is not about achieving the goal of streamlining communications; the 2nd part discusses a different goal that could be inhibited.
C - 1st part is right, but again, the 2nd part discusses a DIFFERENT problem, not the same problem or its significance.
D - Way off
E - The second boldface part does not justify the first part, in fact, it describes a drawback of that policy.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
Icandy,
Good question!!!

Initially I marked E but later I found A is correct OA (after checking my reasoning with Technext :wink:).

For the 2nd BF, the key is -
however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Clearly, corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, ...

I think we need to zero-in on why the examiner provided this part (adopt the compromise) of argument. This is the drawback, which Choice A says for not adopting the titles for external businesses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. Clearly, corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the corporation’s executives use titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit communication within the corporation.

In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second presents a drawback to that strategy. ON HOLD
(B) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration raised to call into question the effectiveness of that strategy as a means of achieving that goal.
(C) The first describes a strategy that has been adopted to avoid a certain problem; the second is a consideration the consultant raises in questioning the significance of that problem.
(D) The first is part of an explanation that the consultant offers for a certain phenomenon; the second is that phenomenon.
(E) The first describes a policy for which the consultant seeks to provide a justification; the second is a consideration the consultant raises as part of that.

D and E are easy out. A holds
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
I cannot to wrap my head around the correct answer choice A, which tells that second part is a "drawback" to a strategy - how come exhibiting business title which can facilitate business can be a drawback, if it works, according to the statement?
In this respect, option B seems way more reasonable, which is saying that there is another side to demonstrating titles - not only does it have potential to inhibit communication, but may facilitate business.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
v1801philip wrote:
I cannot to wrap my head around the correct answer choice A, which tells that second part is a "drawback" to a strategy - how come exhibiting business title which can facilitate business can be a drawback, if it works, according to the statement?
In this respect, option B seems way more reasonable, which is saying that there is another side to demonstrating titles - not only does it have potential to inhibit communication, but may facilitate business.

1st part: Titles are shunned
2nd part: Titles are useful externally.

Thus the second part shows a drawback to the strategy described in the first part... A is correct.

The objective of shunning tiltes is internal benefits. Option B does not call into question this goal of internal benefits. The strategy has a problem with external dealings, but for benifits in internal dealings, which is the goal of the stratgey, it is effective.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive title [#permalink]
Hello expert,
Could you help on E? Thanks in advance.
I think both A and E are reasonable. As BF1 is a method the writer seeks to justify, and BF2 is parf of his conclusion. Because writer’s conclusion is including two aspects: for internal shunning title is a good way while for external it is not a good way.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,
Could you help on E? Thanks in advance.
I think both A and E are reasonable. As BF1 is a method the writer seeks to justify, and BF2 is part of his conclusion. Because writer’s conclusion is including two aspects: for internal shunning title is a good way while for external it is not a good way.

The consultant concludes that "corporations should adopt the compromise of encouraging their executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally."

How do BF1 and BF2 relate to the conclusion?

• BF1 states that "some corporations shun the use of executive titles." This is the current policy which the consultant wants to revise.
  • BF2 states that the "use of a title can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses." This provides a reason for revising the current policy stated in BF1. It also supports the consultant's proposed revision.

Let's now consider (E):
Quote:

(E) The first describes a policy for which the consultant seeks to provide a justification; the second is a consideration the consultant raises as part of that.

Notice that BF1 describes the policy which the consultant wants to revise, not the policy s/he is trying to justify. In other words, BF1 is the current policy, not the policy which the consultant is trying to justify.

Regarding BF2, notice that it points out a problem with the policy stated in BF1. However, (E) suggests that BF2 serves to justify BF1. So basically, (E) gets the relationship between BF2 and BF1 backwards.

For both the above reasons, we can discard (E).

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts