Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Re: Op Ed: Harvard Narcissists With MBAs Killed Wall Street [#permalink]
Too bad they didn't dig up the ghost of scandals past: Mr. Jeff Skilling (HBS '79)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
spiridon wrote:
Interesting article, surprised they didnt mention the major matador of the financial dismal - Harvard MBA - Mr. dubya Bushy

"Theres an old saying in Tennessee,...I know its in Texas, probably in Tennessee....that says....fool me once...shame on...shame...on...you?.....Fool me, you cant get fooled again!"

The financial crisis was bred long before Bush ever got into office.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
refurb wrote:

The financial crisis was bred long before Bush ever got into office.

RF

Clinton left surplus in budget.

Bush did nothing to improve economy except he cut taxes for rich. He had no vision, neither brainpower nor any other asset to lead this country in the 21st century.

Didnt give any raise to green technologies or did anything to make US more competitive on the global market.

He was destructive, miserable and disgrace as a president.
After his 8 years of presidency, the reputation of the US is on the historic low abroad. That means buying less US products and trade.
Not to mention he was natural-born anti-diplomat
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Shrub and his ilk could give a rat's $*! what happens to most Americans. They don't know what life without a net worth of $xxx,000,000 is like, and frankly do not care. This attitude was more than obvious throughout his administration - both in their domestic policy, which was essentially written by the major corporations who bought him into office, and on the foreign side, which was a combination of hubris and corporate overreach.

Of course he was an MBA. :P
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Toubab wrote:
Shrub and his ilk could give a rat's $*! what happens to most Americans. They don't know what life without a net worth of $xxx,000,000 is like, and frankly do not care. This attitude was more than obvious throughout his administration - both in their domestic policy, which was essentially written by the major corporations who bought him into office, and on the foreign side, which was a combination of hubris and corporate overreach.

Of course he was an MBA. :P

You mean the same MBA degree you are now pursuing?

I think I've discovered a corollary to Godwin's law: as the length of any GMATclub thread grows longer, the probability of it containing a criticizm of George W. Bush approaches one.
Current Student
Send PM
Whenever you have a bunch of well-educated people in one place, that'll happen.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
Jerz wrote:

You mean the same MBA degree you are now pursuing?

I think I've discovered a corollary to Godwin's law: as the length of any GMATclub thread grows longer, the probability of it containing a criticizm of George W. Bush approaches one.

This thread is more important then we think. It shows how important r ur family ties and the class u r brought up, and that even a degree from Harvard cannot really transform as they claim it can.

It is interesting that Bushie first applied and got dinged from University of Texas grad school according to this site
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /cron.html

After that, he got an admission to Harvard
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
I agree. Harvard people are evil and entirely to blame. Solution: Wall Street needs more people from Dartmouth :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
welcome to life? why else are we going to business school? to get a good education/job but also to have a network of extremely intelligent successful people. Networking is all about who you know. Will you not ask any favors from any friends, or use your network to help out your children in the future?

This MBA bashing and hatred against the rich is getting annoying on this board. Yea if you commit crimes, you should go to jail. But just because you are rich doesnt make you a bad person.
Current Student
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
Will you not ask any favors from any friends, or use your network to help out your children in the future?

Uh... no. I can't stand people who do that, can you?

When I was applying for college, my mom offered to reach out to a friend of hers who was on the Board of the school I was applying to - a top 10 U.S. college - and essentially ensure me admission. I said no, that that wasn't how I wanted to get into college, and I was a little surprised that someone whose ethical makeup I so respected would make an offer like that. So she didn't. And I didn't get in.

So I went to a much lower-ranked school, worked my ass off and got in the next year as a transfer student on my own merits.

Moral of the story: don't George Bush your way through life.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Schools:HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I agree. Harvard people are evil and entirely to blame. Solution: Wall Street needs more people from Dartmouth :-D

Won't the stimulus plan fix everything?
VP
VP
Send PM
RahlowJenkins wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

Won't the stimulus plan fix everything?

Of course - who doesn't feel better after some good stimulating?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
To be fair, as bschool applicants, we are all guilty of expecting a better life, better return from your bschool investment.

Bschool is expensive and we all probably did a little cost vs benefit analysis in our heads, and decided that benefit outweighs the overall cost in the long run.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with having money, connections, and other influences - just like there is nothing wrong with humbler life.

We all want to upgrade our standard of living, pay off debts, have savings for retirement, have enough money for our kids/family and etc. If there are prices to pay (such as sacrificing your ethical values etc) for better life, I am sure you will do a cost vs benefit analysis as well, before making your next move.

All I can say is that we all should try to live our life the best that we can. This means a lot of things, and different things to different people. However, having made that decision (whether you chose to live your life like a typical HBS grad mentioned above or humbler life with integrity), that doesn't give you the right to judge another. It doesn't give you the right to tell another that he/she should live his/her life this way.

If one wants to live a life like the next Bernie Madoff, that's their free will. If one wants to live their life like Mother Teresa, that's their free will. If one wants to live somewhere in between, that's their god given right as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Schools:HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.
Send PM
Toubab wrote:
terp26 wrote:
Will you not ask any favors from any friends, or use your network to help out your children in the future?

Uh... no. I can't stand people who do that, can you?

When I was applying for college, my mom offered to reach out to a friend of hers who was on the Board of the school I was applying to - a top 10 U.S. college - and essentially ensure me admission. I said no, that that wasn't how I wanted to get into college, and I was a little surprised that someone whose ethical makeup I so respected would make an offer like that. So she didn't. And I didn't get in.

So I went to a much lower-ranked school, worked my ass off and got in the next year as a transfer student on my own merits.

Moral of the story: don't George Bush your way through life.

So are you recommending people don't use the networks they develop in B School to move successfully through life?
Current Student
Send PM
RahlowJenkins wrote:
So are you recommending people don't use the networks they develop in B School to move successfully through life?

I'm saying there's obviously a big difference between using your personal connections to be considered for a job and pulling strings to get your kid into college. Surely you would agree.
GMAT Club Bot