Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Re: The new way wall street works (Foreigners need read) [#permalink]
The whole thing is pretty sad. My bank used to recruit a lot of H1-B and in the past two years we started looking at people's status when we interviewed . We would only take the very very best internationals and we, at times, took a green cardholder or us citizen who was not as good. I really don't like it, students will have less incentives to attend our top schools if they can't get jobs and it is not good for US firms.

Disclaimer: I am biased, I went through the whole thing. Two F-1 , OPT, two H1-B and I am now a permanent resident.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
The school have imigration lawyers or anyone helping you. I know Kellogg did a ton of imigration stuff this fall, a group attack might be more effective than individual letters from non-citizens. The administration of schools really need to be proactive in my opinion. People spend way too much money to come here for a degree and a chance at their dream careers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
3underscore, its nice of you to make an effort in this regard and all, but lets assume the govt prevails and so does the stipulation, lets discuss what other avenues international students have of getting a job thats close to what they had dreamed for in US. Basically, where else does the US degree hold enough worth to warrant a good return? being based in the Saudi Arabia, I can say with full certainty that if Dubai wasn't crashing and burning right now, a US degree would give a good return there but then, that can be said for wall-street too!
Current Student
Send PM
I assure you I will be looking into how to resolve an International situation. As it stands, I have nine months before a TARP funded bank (that I probably couldn't work for) comes knocking for loan money back.

I am of a position that I think the guys in Vermont & Iowa aren't really clear on how they truly are affecting individuals. I think personalizing the issue will help with this, and I am very tuned in to how the schools are working on the situation - it is strangely bringing them very close together. There are immigration lawyers I can speak to (and will), as well as an employment lawyer (in case the legalities are... entertaining). I am 99.999% sure no matter what I do with my immigration status it will not matter to a big bank. I need to think small, where people who want the person employed can offer some level of common sense and not straight legal counsel on an employment decision.

As I move on with looking for my job I will be able to give you an idea how Internationals can deal with this. I think in a likelihood it will get altered to mean future students are clearly protected.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore, its good that you came up with this and we all support what ever effort you are taking to make this public. One idea might be form a group of people who will be affected by this in facebook or somewhere and send a letter to senator with all the names and signature. When duke has stopped loans for internationals without a us co-signer from this year, one of duke admits formed this kind of group and it made positive impact. Lets try if we can utilize these kind of public connecting websites..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
SV6 wrote:
3underscore, its good that you came up with this and we all support what ever effort you are taking to make this public. One idea might be form a group of people who will be affected by this in facebook or somewhere and send a letter to senator with all the names and signature. When duke has stopped loans for internationals without a us co-signer from this year, one of duke admits formed this kind of group and it made positive impact. Lets try if we can utilize these kind of public connecting websites..

I think this is a good idea - the past election cycle in the US demonstrated the power of grassroots efforts through the internet. One suggestion though: politicians being what they are, they will be not be very moved by a long list of non-US citizens' names on a petition for the simple reason that those names would represent 0 votes. I would make sure as you're recruiting people for your e-petition to try and recruit as many US citizens as possible.

Also, going through the local chamber of commerce is a good idea. Restricting the supply of talented international workers is not in business's best interests, and chambers of commerce would have better lobbying pull than individuals.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[b]BofA withdraws job offers to foreign MBAs[/b] [#permalink]
At the FT:

View As Web Page

BofA withdraws job offers to foreign MBAs

By Della Bradshaw in London

Published: March 9 2009 00:07 | Last updated: March 9 2009 00:07

Bank of America has become the first US bank to withdraw job offers made to MBA students graduating from US business schools this summer, citing conditions laid out in its bail-out deal as the reason.

The recently passed $787bn stimulus bill in effect prevents financial institutions that have received money from the government’s troubled asset relief programme from applying for H1-B visas for highly skilled immigrants if they have recently made US workers redundant.

BofA, which has received a total of $45bn in Tarp funds, is in the process of digesting two large acquisitions – Countrywide, the mortgage broker, and Merrill Lynch – which will see thousands of jobs lost.

A spokesman for the bank said: “Recent changes in legislation made it necessary for Bank of America to rescind job offers it had made to students requiring H-1B sponsorship.”

The number of international students affected by the BofA move is thought to be no more than 50 but business schools are concerned that other banks could follow suit.

Traditionally, about a third of MBA students at the leading US schools have taken up finance and banking jobs on graduation, with about a third of those MBAs coming from outside the US.

Some supporters of freer migration have criticised the Tarp measure for threatening to cut the US off from foreign talent and encouraging tit-for-tat retaliation by other countries.

One concern for business school deans is that students who have traditionally studied in the US may go elsewhere. “There might be an inclination for people from around the world to vote with their feet,” says David Schmittlein, dean of MIT’s Sloan school of management in Boston.
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Guys, Can anybody shed some light on how IB recruiting is for internationals now?
Current Student
Send PM
It is OK - TARP is all gone so it is just back to being as challenging as it used to be (not so bad in IB, difficult in S&T)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I am actually a little oblivious of this. But is the TARP regulation still there or has it been removed ?
Current Student
Send PM
All of the bigger banks have repaid TARP so that rule doesn't apply (some still have it outstanding but really not ones you would know, very much smaller regionals). The outstanding warrants that exist were more a debt kicker like Warren Buffett tries to get, so they have no such power.
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
very interesting read.... thanks for posting!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
All of the bigger banks have repaid TARP so that rule doesn't apply (some still have it outstanding but really not ones you would know, very much smaller regionals). The outstanding warrants that exist were more a debt kicker like Warren Buffett tries to get, so they have no such power.

:drinking
GMAT Club Bot