Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 902 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [7]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Send PM
Re: On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun [#permalink]
Kudos
I'd go with A, just because of "nearing", just sounds more parallel to me really.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The problem with this question is that no other forum is carrying it. We are not able to know whether this is an OG or GPREP sample. While the OA is available, there is no OE to understand the thesis behind the right choice. Nor is there a definite precedence or concept of choosing a present participle over a relative pronoun, where the relative pronoun seems to clearly refer to the noun touching it.

IMO, where there is a directly related pronoun that solidly modifies a preceding noun, then choosing a present participle instead may not be that right. A present participle is resorted to in situations when the modifier is unable to modify the preceding noun and therefore is required to modify the entire phrase lying before. In the given case, choice A using the participle ‘coming’ can only play second fiddle to choice B . But this is just my feeling.
Intern
Intern
Status:"You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 2: 570 GMAT 3: 620  Q47  V28
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
(A) charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field
(B) charged particles that come from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth's magnetic field

I chose A over B because A makes it clear that the sun is actively emitting charged particles. Choice B can be interpreted as the charged particle deflecting itself towards the north and south poles [not possible].
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hello,why was D wrong?i understand A is right but why is D not a contender . pLEASE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
lynbeee wrote:
Hello,why was D wrong?i understand A is right but why is D not a contender . pLEASE

D and E both go wrong because of the structures of the sentences. Notice that the sentence begins with "On nearing the Earth....".

Given this, it is more appropriate to mention the object nearing the Earth than bring up the Earth's magnetic field. Statements D and E give the impression that the Earth's own magnetic field is nearing the Earth.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
I will try my best to explain my case on the difference between A and B.
On nearing the Earth, charged particles coming from the Sun tend to be deflected toward the North and South poles by the Earth’s magnetic field.

The reason why I feel A is better :-
1) Continuous tense - The original sentence meant to say that charged particles coming from the sun upon nearing the earth. Whereas in B, by using that the author changes the meaning of the sentence, by removing the continuous tense. But is the removal necessary? The rule of thumb on GMAT is don't change tense or meaning unless there is a need to and here there is no need to do so.
2) The purpose of the Relative clause - What is the purpose of restricting the charged particles to those coming from the sun? There is no difference in meaning if you use the relative clause starting with "that....". What if the particles didn't originate from the sun but appear to be coming from the sun?
3) Wordiness - "that come from the sun" vs. "coming from the sun". The latter is one word shorter.
4) Original meaning is fine as it is - There is nothing wrong in the meaning of the original sentence.

Last note: I feel this question is not a quality GMAT question. So, don't read too much into the question and answers.

Originally posted by mourinhogmat1 on 02 Jan 2012, 07:40.
Last edited by mourinhogmat1 on 02 Jan 2012, 19:10, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Parallelism is clear in A....coming from sun.......nearing the Earth
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I believe both (A) & (B) make sense from different perspective and both are grammatically correct, with slight nuance in the meaning. I doubt GMAC would test solely on the basis of the difference here. However, in case it does , I would go for (A) because it's conscise and is also the original intended meaning.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts