Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [6]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: I am a bit confused about the use of 'that' and would [#permalink]
As bb said, THAT has various applications. The examples you brought use one of these applications.
kukulkan wrote:
Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home THAT featured the preparation of great quantities of food..... <<<< Use of THAT is confusing here as it is not clear whether THAT refers to 'home' or 'festivals'.

THAT clause here is modifying "home". If it were to modify "festivals", the sentence would have to be written "...held in her home festivals THAT...."
Quote:
"The city allocated $150million to cover the increase in wages THAT it expected to approve....." <<<< this sentence is correct but I use my THAT rule and got confused whether THAT is modifying "wages" or "increase". If THAT needs to modify noun immediately preceding it, then THAT modifies 'wages' here, if THAT needs to modify subject, then it modifies 'the increase'.

Again, THAT clause is clearly modifying "wages" here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks bb. No offence but I am aware of general uses of THAT... restrictive vs. non-restrictive etc. This explanation can easily be found in almost all Grammar resources. But, nowhere could I find the use of THAT as a modifier, modifying subject or noun preceding it.

Also, you said the use of THAT in "the increase in wages that..." is confusing, which I am doubtful. I showed this sentence to a few people in my office and everyone picked the correct answer... with THAT modifying "the increase". I would probably have picked it too, but only because I did "Kiwo..." question first and noted use of THAT referred there in my notes, I got confused and thought of posting my querry here to get some explanation.

boti- THAT actually modifies 'increase' in the sentence and not the wages.

Hope some grammar expert will throw some light on this. No offence bb and boti, I truly appreciate your input.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
kukulkan wrote:
Thanks bb. No offence but I am aware of general uses of THAT... restrictive vs. non-restrictive etc. This explanation can easily be found in almost all Grammar resources. But, nowhere could I find the use of THAT as a modifier, modifying subject or noun preceding it.

Also, you said the use of THAT in "the increase in wages that..." is confusing, which I am doubtful. I showed this sentence to a few people in my office and everyone picked the correct answer... with THAT modifying "the increase". I would probably have picked it too, but only because I did "Kiwo..." question first and noted use of THAT referred there in my notes, I got confused and thought of posting my querry here to get some explanation.

boti- THAT actually modifies 'increase' in the sentence and not the wages.

Hope some grammar expert will throw some light on this. No offence bb and boti, I truly appreciate your input.

You are asking a style question rather than grammar - there is no rule which object/noun is modified by THAT - there may be 1, 2, 3, etc nouns modified by THAT. What matters on the gmat is that the sentence is clear and has proper style.

The only difference between the two sentence that i can think is:
festivals and home - 2 objects (unclear which is modified as either can be)
increase in wages - 1 compound object and therefore modified by THAT (increase is not the subject of the sentence, however. City is the subject.).
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
kukulkan wrote:
This explanation can easily be found in almost all Grammar resources.

By the way, would be great if you could post some links to a few GOOD grammar resources.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
bb, the following link is one of the best in my books. You can almost find anything that you are looking for- not just for GMAT purposes, but for general writing, etc. This is a terrific collection of online resources.

I have no doubt that you and probably most of the forum members already know about this source.

https://writing-program.uchicago.edu/res ... rammar.htm

once in, you can choose from American Heritage site, Darling's guide, common errors in english, and many more from the collection.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Am taking the liberty to dig out an old post that carries an important subject which has been discussed numerous times. Till date, I haven't found an authentic answer (from GMAT's point of view in particular).

Has anyone been able to come up with authentic GMAT-approved synopsis regarding the subject raised herein?

kukulkan wrote:
I am a bit confused about the use of 'that' and would appreciate some help.

From my understanding,THAT modifies the noun immediately preceding it... is this correct?
Or should THAT modify subject immediately preceding it?

Ex.
Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home THAT featured the preparation of great quantities of food..... <<<< Use of THAT is confusing here as it is not clear whether THAT refers to 'home' or 'festivals'.

"The city allocated $150million to cover the increase in wages THAT it expected to approve....." <<<< this sentence is correct but I use my THAT rule and got confused whether THAT is modifying "wages" or "increase". If THAT needs to modify noun immediately preceding it, then THAT modifies 'wages' here, if THAT needs to modify subject, then it modifies 'the increase'.

Can the same rule be applied to the use of WHICH? What does WHICH modify, the subject or the noun preceding it? My understanding is that WHICH modifies the subject of the clause preceding it.

What do I write in my GMAT grammar rules?

PLEASE HELP :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos