Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
You'll excuse the snark, but the irony of the president of DeBeers speaking about corporate social responsibility and African development is a little overwhelming. Oy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Toubab wrote:
You'll excuse the snark, but the irony of the president of DeBeers speaking about corporate social responsibility and African development is a little overwhelming. Oy.

Wow. If anyone goes to this, be sure to ask her about what Cecil Rhodes(founder of DeBeers) really intended the money for 'Rhodes Scholars' to be used for. Next thing they'll have Nike's CEO talk about southeast Asian labor practices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Just got back from my Duke interview! The campus is awsome. The vibe I got reminds me of my undergrad (a good thing since I had a blast)

Here's my debrief:

1.) Airport is really close I rented a car for 2 days for about $100.00
2.) Head to Breeden Hall when on campus
3.) Weather was perfect maybe 65 F.

Here are some questions asked in my aprox hour long interview:

1.) If you could only show me an inch of your resume what would you show me?
2.) If you could only highlight one thing on your resume what would it be and why?
3.Walk through resume
4.) Short/Long term goals
5.) Why Duke?
6.) What can you contribute outside of class?
7.) How would your friends describe you?
8.) What areas of improvements you hope to strengthen at Duke?
9.) If you caught some one violating the ethics code what would you do?
10.) If you could pick 3 people to be on your team alive or dead who would they be and why?

Useful information (as highlighted by TheFreedomAngel):

1) Bring your resume, they will ask for it
2) The interview, tour, administration were all handled by Duke students in Breeden Hall
3) First was to sign in with the students, they will have portfolios and name tags prepared for you
4) You have a home-base near where you sign in to sit with other applicants, and some Duke students will be there to chat with you
5) Interviewers, basically second year students, will come pick up and bring applicants into a small room to conduct interview
6) They will show you Breeden Hall and Fox Center, basically all in the same building, if you signed up for a tour
7) Every student will have business cards to give out, so you don't need to specifically write down their contact unless they ran out of cards
8.) It says busniness casual, but I wore a suit and so did most other applicants

Good luck everyone :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
bostonsparky wrote:
Toubab wrote:

Wow. If anyone goes to this, be sure to ask her about what Cecil Rhodes(founder of DeBeers) really intended the money for 'Rhodes Scholars' to be used for. Next thing they'll have Nike's CEO talk about southeast Asian labor practices.

My take is the sooner DeBeers/Nike take a stand and begin correcting the wrongs the better. It may sound corny, but stories of Angulimal and Schindler come to mind.

Lets remind them of their "true" intentions/track record, make them feel guilty and then extract their help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Kudos
Just in case anyone else was perplexed by that reference...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hey it would be great if "aaudetat" or any other current student can address my query:

I am interested towards the consulting side (Strategy & Opn both). Since fuqua hasn't released its latest employment report(has it ?). So can you please share the current internship scenario, specially for the international students ?

Additionally, seeing last years report i have an idea that Deloitte, Bain & BCG recruit at Fuqua. But can someone shed some light on the below points

1) Companies that recruit for internal strategy consulting (Can someone name and provide some past numbers)
2) Companies that recruit for operation consulting role (Some name and numbers would be great!)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
You can find the current employment report here: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/.

This shows the FT status for 08ers and internships for 09ers. It's still early for the 08-09 report to come out.

In addition to the consulting firms you mention below, there are many others, including some big ones (McK, Accenture, etc) and some boutique firms.

1. Many companies that hire on a general management track have internal strategy roles: M&T, IBM, Wal-Mart, United, Sears, many others. I don't think we have the data parsed down to that level, though.

2. I think all of the big consulting firms have operations practices, and probably a lot of the small ones too. What you need to do is find a list of consulting firms and then learn about their practice areas.

As for being an int'l student: the big consulting firms sponsor visas. In the general management world, it just depends on the company. I'm mostly familiar with financial services, so I can tell you that M&T and BB&T do not while Citi does.

Hope this helps.

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:
Hey it would be great if "aaudetat" or any other current student can address my query:

I am interested towards the consulting side (Strategy & Opn both). Since fuqua hasn't released its latest employment report(has it ?). So can you please share the current internship scenario, specially for the international students ?

Additionally, seeing last years report i have an idea that Deloitte, Bain & BCG recruit at Fuqua. But can someone shed some light on the below points

1) Companies that recruit for internal strategy consulting (Can someone name and provide some past numbers)
2) Companies that recruit for operation consulting role (Some name and numbers would be great!)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
You can find the current employment report here: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/.

This shows the FT status for 08ers and internships for 09ers. It's still early for the 08-09 report to come out.

In addition to the consulting firms you mention below, there are many others, including some big ones (McK, Accenture, etc) and some boutique firms.

1. Many companies that hire on a general management track have internal strategy roles: M&T, IBM, Wal-Mart, United, Sears, many others. I don't think we have the data parsed down to that level, though.

2. I think all of the big consulting firms have operations practices, and probably a lot of the small ones too. What you need to do is find a list of consulting firms and then learn about their practice areas.

As for being an int'l student: the big consulting firms sponsor visas. In the general management world, it just depends on the company. I'm mostly familiar with financial services, so I can tell you that M&T and BB&T do not while Citi does.

Hope this helps.

MBAAspirant2008 wrote:

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Can you please share some info about current scenario. I have heard that the recruiting for interns has almost dried up for international students @ Duke ? Additionally can you share some facts (Name and number of intl hired) for smaller consulting firms that are still hiring intl interns?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Chicago Booth
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,

I'm an R2 applicant to Duke. I submitted my app on 01/07 and interviewed on-campus on a Super Satrurday (01/31). Could someone please add me to the R2 team on the first page -- thanks.

I am assuming all R2 applicants must have gotten the address update email a couple of days ago. It read something like this:

Dear shayne:

The Duke MBA Office of Admissions is preparing for the March 10 release of our
admission decisions for the current application round. Admission decisions are
communicated via e-mail and a hard copy of the decision letter is sent in the
mail. The mailing address and preferred phone number that we currently have
on file is below. Please notify our office immediately if this information has
changed to ensure that you receive this correspondence.

My address

Thank you again for your interest in The Duke MBA!

Sincerely,

The Duke MBA Office of Admissions
919-660-7705
application-processing@fuqua.duke.edu

The email mentioned preferred phone number but didn't have anything on the file for me as a phone#. I have browsed this thread and it seems as though most applicants are informed via the online system anyway. So is there even a point in emailing them back with a preferred phone #?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Ahem!! Ahem!!

Given that we are a week away from the R2 decision date, I expected to see a bit more activity (read excitement/anxiety) on this thread.

Where is everybody?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shayne wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm an R2 applicant to Duke. I submitted my app on 01/07 and interviewed on-campus on a Super Satrurday (01/31). Could someone please add me to the R2 team on the first page -- thanks.

I am assuming all R2 applicants must have gotten the address update email a couple of days ago. It read something like this:

Dear shayne:

The Duke MBA Office of Admissions is preparing for the March 10 release of our
admission decisions for the current application round. Admission decisions are
communicated via e-mail and a hard copy of the decision letter is sent in the
mail. The mailing address and preferred phone number that we currently have
on file is below. Please notify our office immediately if this information has
changed to ensure that you receive this correspondence.

My address

Thank you again for your interest in The Duke MBA!

Sincerely,

The Duke MBA Office of Admissions
919-660-7705
application-processing@fuqua.duke.edu

The email mentioned preferred phone number but didn't have anything on the file for me as a phone#. I have browsed this thread and it seems as though most applicants are informed via the online system anyway. So is there even a point in emailing them back with a preferred phone #?

I didn't get any such email. Probably they like you more :-P... ha ha...

Anyone else ?
Current Student
Send PM
Hmm....have you checked your spam/junk folder?

Almost everyone on the BW forum reported to have received this email so I am pretty sure its not an indicator for anything.

All the best to you though!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shayne wrote:
Hmm....have you checked your spam/junk folder?

Almost everyone on the BW forum reported to have received this email so I am pretty sure its not an indicator for anything.

All the best to you though!

Well guys ! The countdown about to end. One more day left.

All the best :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Hmmm....

Can't wait till tomorrow....
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance and Corporate Strategy
Schools:ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J
Send PM
Me too, cant wait too
best of wishes
Current Student
Send PM
For R1 they released the decisions a day ealrier, so I opened my inbox this morning expecting an email but nothing so far. Anyone else on here got anything?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance and Corporate Strategy
Schools:ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J
Send PM
Does the adcom call the applicants for R-1?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48  ...  50