Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Re: 2009 Vanderbilt MS Finance [#permalink]
siabran wrote:
I'm from the Southeast United States, so geographically it is probably the best, closest program to me. In addition, my math background is -relatively- weak, despite a 49Q on the GMAT, and Vanderbilt doesn't look like they discriminate too hard against those of us who haven't already had maths like stochastic processes in their undergrad work. I'm also applying to Oxford and LSE - Finance & Econ / LSE - Finance, so I don't know what my #1 program is yet, honestly.

If you're just thinking about it, you better get moving! Only 12 days left to apply.

siabran dude... just got an admit from vandy MSF and now the wondering starts! if you got any questions, shoot away and if you have any comments to convince me to take up vandy's offer do tell me.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Congrats!

How was the interview? Any lame behavioral questions or quantitative questions? What was your GMAT/GRE score like?

I got the e-mail from Vandy saying they'd received all my materials and were looking forward to talking to me, but one of my recommendations is taking his time, so I'm twiddling my thumbs still.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Kudos
siabran wrote:
Congrats!

How was the interview? Any lame behavioral questions or quantitative questions? What was your GMAT/GRE score like?

I got the e-mail from Vandy saying they'd received all my materials and were looking forward to talking to me, but one of my recommendations is taking his time, so I'm twiddling my thumbs still.

Thanks! the interview was nice, they seem classy and all from what I have heard and the interview confirmed it. I think there were some behavioral questions as they gave me a situation and asked my response to the situation, otherwise it sounded like a job interview, asked to 'describe when you led a team', or 'worked in a group with "this" constraint. strengths/weaknesses with e.g. I think there was something more but cant recall because the interview lasted 41 mins (mine was on phone :) ) I wish you all the luck and hope you get in! my GMAT was 690, i think yours is higher so a better chance for you definitely.

One thing I got to ask you (or anyone else who can answer) as an international student is that since you must have done a better research being based in US and more people contact, I am sort of confused about whether to settle on Vanderbilt or pursue applications to UK? I have Tulane's MFin admission deferred to this july 09, so any input that would help me making a good choice will be nice. Any insight that you might have which I don't. I hope you get what I'm saying.... hope to hear from you soon.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Ugh, I hate behavioral interview questions, they always seem like such a load of crap to me. I have not heard of the strength of Tulane's MFin program, so I'm probably not any help to you there. Nashville is a great place and Vanderbilt has a lovely campus - I visited there when I was searching for my undergraduate program. The school appears to have pretty solid placement, though it seems a little weak in its placement w/ Investment Banks, which is what I'm really interested in.

As for international schools, I've applied to LSE and Oxford, but I just sent the apps in, so I have no idea how likely my chances are there. If I got the accept at oxford, I'd turn anywhere else down... LSE vs Vanderbilt is a harder call, though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Kudos
siabran wrote:
Ugh, I hate behavioral interview questions, they always seem like such a load of crap to me. I have not heard of the strength of Tulane's MFin program, so I'm probably not any help to you there. Nashville is a great place and Vanderbilt has a lovely campus - I visited there when I was searching for my undergraduate program. The school appears to have pretty solid placement, though it seems a little weak in its placement w/ Investment Banks, which is what I'm really interested in.

As for international schools, I've applied to LSE and Oxford, but I just sent the apps in, so I have no idea how likely my chances are there. If I got the accept at oxford, I'd turn anywhere else down... LSE vs Vanderbilt is a harder call, though.

LSE vs. Vanderbilt!!! are you serious? I mean I know how good LSE is but didn't know that Vanderbilt could compete with LSE for a candidate... don't get me wrong, if what you say is true.. it make me happy! :P . I hope you get in to Oxford, I don't have the undergrad record to apply there so... Though personally, I think a US degree would be better to get into I/Banking (i'm interested in it too) compared to LSE even though it is in London. I am factoring the recent and ongoing downfall of London as a financial center in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Really, LSE not that highly regarded where you're at? I've read online (for what it's worth) that it's better for getting a job in the City than Oxford.. but I can't find any GMAT scores for recent classes, or anything like that... especially not the new MSc Finance programme. I read that they have a tiny admission%, something like 50 students in the MSc Finance out of 1500 applicants.

Maybe the quality of the applicants they get just isn't that great, I guess.
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
siabran wrote:
Really, LSE not that highly regarded where you're at? I've read online (for what it's worth) that it's better for getting a job in the City than Oxford.. but I can't find any GMAT scores for recent classes, or anything like that... especially not the new MSc Finance programme. I read that they have a tiny admission%, something like 50 students in the MSc Finance out of 1500 applicants.

Maybe the quality of the applicants they get just isn't that great, I guess.

oh no no! Man LSE is LSE!! its awsome! I'm just saying given the current downturn, london is in a bit of fix as i have heard from my brother/cousins and friends, and hence Invmt Banking recruiting is down. On the other hand, US market is huge, if and only if Vanderbilt is good enough, then all else equal getting into I\Banking would be easier in US if you graduate from Vandy. lots of assumptions there... Although I hope you get in where ever you want but it would be nice if you decide on Vandy, I have a lot of questions about it! :)
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Blaaaargh, I feel like I bombed my interview. The interviewer was nice though to the end, so maybe it was just all in my head. And now I'm overanalyzing it. They told me admit decision deadline was at the END of April? That's a long time to wait :(
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
siabran wrote:
Blaaaargh, I feel like I bombed my interview. The interviewer was nice though to the end, so maybe it was just all in my head. And now I'm overanalyzing it. They told me admit decision deadline was at the END of April? That's a long time to wait :(

yea they do take long to decide ... but my guess is you will get in easy... I had thought earlier that the MSF was tough to get admitted to but given what I have heard afterwards... its not that difficult. so sit back and relax..
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
just got my admit e-mail - which makes me 2 for 2 so far (Florida and Vanderbilt)

now to wait for lse and oxford and weigh my decisions..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey guys,

I have a phone interview for the MSF in a week.

Do you all have any advice?

Thanks,
Brandon
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi

You can see same topic at the side bar of this site. You can find out some thing same your questions.

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Behavioral interview questions
Rgs

blopez0487 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a phone interview for the MSF in a week.

Do you all have any advice?

Thanks,
Brandon
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts