Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

What is the correct answer?

25% [2]
0% [0]
0% [0]
0% [0]
75% [6]
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3826 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: We are working on a new set of Verbal Tests for GMAT Club. [#permalink]
botirvoy wrote:
2 - A, C and E seems to differ only in punctuation. I haven't seen a question where one split is different only in punctuation.

Gotta agree that this a bit away from the normal SC questions.

Seems like the Q is testing when to use comma before when and when not to. This is some thing I dont know.

Will wait for the OE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
icandy wrote:
Gotta agree that this a bit away from the normal SC questions.

Seems like the Q is testing when to use comma before when and when not to. This is some thing I dont know.

Will wait for the OE.

One more thing -
Questions mostly seem to focus on traps and tricks. I would prioritize advanced content and then traps.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you. Keep it coming.
As you can imagine, one is not born a GMAT writer, but it is a process that takes both practice and feedback - Thank you very much for valuable feedback:!:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Good question. Tests everything from run-on sentence i.e. comma-splice to usage of idiom like VS such as. I think this can be a 700-800 question in actual GMAT. I vote 4 for it ...
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is the OA and Explanation: Now that the OA and explanation are posted, can you rate this question in terms of difficulty?
Let's keep the 1-5 scale with 1 being easy and 5 hard.

Answer: E

‘Such as’ is used to mention a specific list whereas ‘Like’ is used to mention a list of items that are similar to but not necessarily part of that list.
Here we refer to two specific instances when invocations come in: During Prohibition and during major wars. Each example is separated by a modifier and hence needs to a comma to offset the modifier.

A – A comma is needed to separate the modifier else it changes the meaning of the sentence by creating an adverbial clause
B – Use of ‘like’ is incorrect.
C – A comma is needed to offset the first modifier
D – Use of ‘like’ is incorrect.
E – This is the correct answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This is a good question. i will rate it 4
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you - I will take any other comments on difficulty or overall. Paying with Kudos, have a load :wink:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
bb wrote:
We are working on a new set of Verbal Tests for GMAT Club. Several members have responded to our "Help Wanted Ad" and submitted their questions. I am posting the first batch and would love to hear your feedback about the questions. I would also like to know your opinion about how close this question is to the Real GMAT (or Official Guide if you have not taken the GMAT yet) on a 1-5 scale where
1 is not close at all
2 is not close
3 is average/undecided
4 is close
5 is exact match

I will post the OA and Explanation in 1-3 days, depending on how many takers we get. Your feedback will help significantly and very much appreciated!

Successful invocations usually come in waves during times of substantial tumult, such as after the passage of Prohibition when bars and taverns no longer had a reason for their leases, or during major wars when demand for many consumer goods and services drops far below normal.

A. such as after the passage of Prohibition when bars and taverns no longer had a reason for their leases, or during major wars when demand
B. like after the passage of Prohibition when bars and taverns no longer had a reason for their leases, or during major wars when demand
C. such as after the passage of Prohibition, when bars and taverns no longer had a reason for their leases or during major wars, when demand
D. like after the passage of Prohibition, when bars and taverns no longer had a reason for their leases, or during major wars, when demand
E. such as after the passage of Prohibition, when bars and taverns no longer had a reason for their leases, or during major wars, when demand

-

This one is really difficult to find the correct answer as all answer choices very close to each other.
"Such as" is used to give examples and "like" is for comparision. Probably introductory clause is lookig for examples. So "such as" should be used.
Among A, C and E, E is more clear.

It would be more apealing if the answer choices are clearly distinctive.

3/5

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts