Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [16]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [8]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [7]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [3]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Best app tips? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
1) For international students: choose off-campus interview in your country instead of on-campus one. It will be much easier to explain all your achievements and motives.

2) think a lot then write and show your package (all essays + resume) to friends.

3) don't give up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [6]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
If applying to more than one school make a "master app" in word. Your master app should contain:
Your address
Work experiences + descriptions, addresses, contacts
Undergrad info + gpa/rank/ etc
extracuriculars, hours you participated etc

as you go through your apps keep adding to your master app so yoiu can just cut and paste.

Also before yoiur write really think about your experiences and how they will contribute to your future goals

most importantly MAKE SURE YOU ACTUALLY ANSWER THE QUESTION ASKED.

Have your friends look over your essays - this is key

will add if I can think of more
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Mgmt, Strategy Consulting
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Darden, Booth
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
One thing that kept coming up over and over during this long app season, with friends, on forums, even for myself, is CAREER GOALS. Very very important! Only when I updated my career goals did I get accepted from the waitlist.

It seems many applicants spend most of their time and energy on explaining who they are and their past and why this school, but overlook the future and making meaningful and realistic career goals, which may be the most important part. When I updated my goals, they went from being very general and rather broad, to being very very specific, I'm talking specific to the point of company names, programs, and positions.

To get even just a few sentences of detailed career goals required weeks of research, maybe why many overlook it. I read hundreds of pages about my target industry and target specializations within it, I had to speak to many current MBA students in that track, and even spoke to successful executives in that field, etc, etc. Very time-consuming, but VERY important.

By pinning you down to very specific goals, the school can insure that you are a planned person on the path to success. Also, they can lump you into a demographic for their class diversity. So be careful about choosing a goal that is common, as you may place yourself into the most oversubscribed demographic, as a friend who went 0-for-5 did. I have very non-traditional goals (that fit my past and present), but now that I'm in I can take a well-traveled route if I choose.

Originally posted by decemberblues on 15 Apr 2009, 14:44.
Last edited by decemberblues on 20 Apr 2009, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [17]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
1. Be as specific as possible when it comes to career goals in your essays. Show the adcom that you have done a ton of research on the firms you want to work for and the industry you want to work in. My early apps said 'I want to do investment banking', while my later apps (i.e. the ones I got in with) said 'I want to do technology investment banking focused on SaaS companies because this is an emerging area of technology. I want to work at Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, or Thomas Wiesel due to their immense domain expertise and market leading position in this area...". The second sentance got me into Texas and Kellogg, while the first one got me dinged from UCLA and Chicago w/o interview. You do the math.

2. Your 2nd app will be better than your 1st, your 3rd better than your 2nd, etc. Don't do your dream school first. Maybe even wait for the 2nd round for your dream school. I know that requires some serious patience, but it may be worth waiting. At some point you'll see diminishing returns, but until you reach that point put off your all-star schools.

3. This may not be a universal opinion, but i say interview on campus whenever possible because if you really knock the interview out of the park, then you have a real live person sitting there in meetings pulling for you. If you interview with an alum, this excitement may not be as evident and could get lost in translation. It's always a good thing to have an AdCom on your side in admission decision meetings saying, "yup, this guy/gal was a pleasure and a joy to meet with. They certainly have my vote. I think we should definitely admit them." That can only work in your favor.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I am only going to give one tip...since most everything else is easily picked up on and I think many people do well at.

RiverRipper's one rule of applying to b-school: Be honest with yourself.
Honest about which schools you will be competitive at.
Which schools you will have the best fit, can you sell this fit to the schools themselves.
Is your career goal attainable...drastic career switches are not as easy as having the right school on your resume. Its a hard thing to accomplish these days.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [6]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Kudos
Great thread isa.

1. Think long and hard about yourself beyond the numbers. What makes you different from the thousands of others applying? Forget your GMAT and GPA - they can't be changed. What is your best face, and how do you show that face to the adcoms on every single page of your application?

1a. Print a PDF of all your applications before you submit. Refer back to this PDF before your interviews to make sure your message is consistent.

2. Be humble and acknowledge your weaknesses directly in your essays (no one is perfect after all), and also why you think you can overcome your weaknesses to be a leader at b-school.

3. Show off a little bit in your essays - it's ok to be proud of what you've accomplished!

(at first glance, 2 and 3 seem to contradict each other, but I think the best essays show (a) pride in past accomplishments and (b) honest reflections about past mistakes/weaknesses)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
Kudos
I will give a similar seemingly contradictory advice.

1) You are better than you think you are.
2) You are worse than you think you are.

On your worse days, when everything you write seems to come out like gibberish, or every GMAT question seem insolvable, etc., keep in mind the first piece of advice. There's a lot to tell from even the smallest accomplishments, encounters, and experiences.

On your best days, when you feel you're not just writing the best application essay, but you think you'll become the next great author, keep in mind the second piece of advice. Many people with amazing achievements have applied to business schools, so don't even think about impressing the AdCom with achievements alone. The only way you can wow the AdCom is write from your own unique perspective, which can only be achieved by being completely honest.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Kudos
I have some insight into R1, R2, R3 and so on

The best advice I can give from my experience which I did not know beforehand is that there is no difference between R1 and R2.

In fact, considering that you are highly likely to write better essays in R2, it might even be easier, in real world terms.

I made a huge mistake by "putting all my marbles" in R1, thinking it would help me very marginally to be early. It didn't. My R2 apps were better and I knew what the hell I was doing.

I say you should have 3 groups scheduled:

In R1 you should choose that one lowest safety which you would attend if you got all dings, one from the top tier (but NOT your top), and one you think you would get into but aren't sure.

R2 should be your dream school, plus 2-3 from from your middle tier

I don't recommend R3 except for those schools which have 4 rounds like Carnegie Mellon. CMU is the perfect elite school to be applying to in March if you still aren't satisfied with your propects. You are certain to have very sharp essays and self-presentation by that time.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
I'd agree pretty much with all the other advice offered by the other posters, especially about knowing yourself and your goals.

Beyond that, my advice would be to try to avoid getting totally absorbed by the process mentally and emotionally. I know I was partially guilty of this myself, and waiting sucks, but life goes on. It's a long process from start to finish, and you should try to make sure you take the time to step away now and then and enjoy it. Also, getting dinged isn't the end of the world, even if you get dinged everywhere you apply. The 2008 Zero Admits Revisited thread is full of examples of people who struck out last year, and got into some pretty incredible schools this year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [16]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
It's all about the essays.

My R1 was a disaster. I got an interview invite to Chicago, and nothing from Stanford and Berkeley. R2 was the exact opposite. Admits to Kellogg, UCLA and my safety school, Wisconsin, gave me full ride plus huge stipend.

This is what I figured out given my analysis of my essays combined with the results of my apps.

1. Have a story
-My Chicago story was about critical thinking and self-growth
-My UCLA story was about pursuing your dreams instead of doing what you should
-My Kellogg story was about self-discovery and redemption
-Stanford and Haas had no unifying theme, even though some of the individual essays were among my best ones (especially Stanford's what is important to you and why)

2. Have clear goals
-Chicago, Stanford, and Berkeley all fell short in this regard - my goals were totally abstract and unachievable
-UCLA had clear goals which fit my story
-Kellogg had clear goals that completed my story

3. Personalize your weaknesses and illustrate your strengths
-in my case, my greatest strength was also my greatest weakness (international experience, but no conventional business experience)
-For Stanford and Haas, I didn't really talk about the dark side at all, and simply listed my strengths
-While Chicago also did not address my weaknesses, it was also by far the most explicit of my round 1 apps in highlighting my strengths (in part thanks to the Powerpoint). That said, I fell apart at this point during the interview
-My UCLA's essays failed to address my weaknesses, but I covered it during my interview (which was after I figured it all out while doing my Kellogg app). UCLA's essays were also explicit in addressing my strengths (again I was helped by the audio recording)
-Kellogg is where it all came together. I illustrated my strengths in my best essay of the season, and also acknowledged the dark side in one of the most personal essays I have ever written. I was literally in tears when I proofread it. The only reason I did it - and the reason I'm writing this to save you from my struggles - is because I was desperate. I was dinged or on the verge of being dinged from all my R1 schools, my proofreader told me (accurately) that my essays sucked, and I had no choice but to write from the heart.

So I guess that's the biggest thing. Be honest. First and foremost, be honest with yourself. Don't dwell on your weaknesses, but do address them, preferably as personally as possible. Be proud of your strengths, but don't write about them, ILLUSTRATE them. And tie them all together with goals that address your weaknesses and are tailored to your strengths. I am fully confident I would get an interview to every school I applied to next year if I did it again. That's how much better my R2 essays were...

So to sum up:
Chicago - 1.5 out of 3 - dinged with interview
Berkeley and Stanford - 0 out of 3 - no interview
UCLA - 2 out of 3 - admitted
Kellogg - 3 out of 3 - admitted

Originally posted by monkbent on 16 Apr 2009, 10:21.
Last edited by monkbent on 16 Apr 2009, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is don't just apply to the top schools, even if you think you'll get into one. I figured I would only go and take on the debt if I got into a M7 school, so I applied to four of them and nothing else (1 admit/1 waitlist). Now I wish I had applied to some lower ranked schools and maybe gotten a scholarship. I would definitely give up M7 for a full ride to another top 15 school without hesitation, I can't see why some people on here give up that money. $100k to me is a big deal, a bigger deal than a few places in the rankings...

Another thing that has been mentioned, but I'll say again, don't apply to more than 3 schools in one round. It sucks big time and makes the quality of each app suffer. Stick to 2-3 schools in rounds 1 and 2, and you should get into at least 1. Of course many people apply to more with success, but I just think life is too short to be writing essays for 8 schools in the same round!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I guess I'll chip in my worthless two cents here as well...specifically regarding interviews

Unlike job interviews, nailing a bschool interview is no guarantee to a spot at the school, especially schools that use second year students as interviewers. I might be very biased on this, but it seems that interview reports from 2nd year students just don't carry that much weight because after all, they aren't the ones making the call on admit/dings.

For example, I had great interviews at Chicago w/ a 2nd year student, and another great one with HBS adcom. My Chicago essays were actually a tad better than my HBS essays. Had great recs to both schools. Guess what, denied at Chicago and in at HBS.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't freak out too much about interviews, it's not a do or die situation like job interviews (where the only criteria is how well u do on the interview itself). Of course, when you get a chance to interview with adcom, it's a good opportunity to really stand out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [3]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos