Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
queries [#permalink]
Hi Linda

Thankx for your reply. I was re reviewing the schools in my list and that's why couldn't reply all this while.

My field is not information ...but it deals with analysis of information...something what a researcher would do at an investment bank or at a consultancy. This field is totally different from the Information in information technology. my job deals with no technology but only analysis of various companies...their financial performance, strategies et al.

With this view my profile is very different from a typical indian IT graduate. I have a few questions for the schools that I have shortlisted for myself:
Cornell(Johnson) : How good is it for MBA in finance and strategy?
Tuck : I remember reading in one of your posts that Tuck does take ppl with less work ex whereas your last post mentions that it would take ppl with more work ex. Pls explain
CMU : How good is it finance ?

Between Darden and Duke which one offers better chances with less work ex. I haven't taken up many leadership projects but my work is very diversified. Moreover, I have a good reason to why do an MBA now. i will be writing this in optional essays.

Winds
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

Cornell appears to have finance placements that are consistent with its general reputation cluster. For instance, in one year it had fewer placements at Goldman Sachs than Michigan, Duke, NYU, and UCLA but more placements than UCB and VA. In another year, Cornell had more placements than Yale at GS but fewer than NYU, Dartmouth, or Michigan.

In another year Cornell had as many placements at Lehman Brothers as UNC but fewer than UCLA or NYU. Cornell had more placements at Citi than Yale but fewer than Michigan, NYU, Rochester, or Georgetown.

For consulting, Cornell appears to occupy a similar position. For two years combined, Cornell had more placements at McKinsey than several elite schools including VA and UCLA but fewer than Michigan, Dartmouth, and Yale.

Hjort
Send PM
Re: queries [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Winds_R_Behind_Me wrote:
Hi Linda

Thankx for your reply. I was re reviewing the schools in my list and that's why couldn't reply all this while.

My field is not information ...but it deals with analysis of information...something what a researcher would do at an investment bank or at a consultancy. This field is totally different from the Information in information technology. my job deals with no technology but only analysis of various companies...their financial performance, strategies et al.

With this view my profile is very different from a typical indian IT graduate. I have a few questions for the schools that I have shortlisted for myself:
Tuck : I remember reading in one of your posts that Tuck does take ppl with less work ex whereas your last post mentions that it would take ppl with more work ex. Pls explain

Between Darden and Duke which one offers better chances with less work ex. I haven't taken up many leadership projects but my work is very diversified. Moreover, I have a good reason to why do an MBA now. i will be writing this in optional essays.

Winds

Thanks for clarifying your role. That does make a difference. I'm sorry I misread your original post.

To answer your questions:

1) Cornell is very strong in strategy and finance. It actually had a trading room.
2) Tuck: I'm not sure what earlier post you are referring to so I can't comment on that. I can say unequivocally that Tuck prefers older applicants. According to BW's stats, it admitted not applicants with less than 1 year of work experience. Its admitted applicants have an average of 61 months of work experience, on the higher end of the schools' averages, and the middle 80% of students have 30-70 months of work experience.
3) I am not sure of CMU's strength in finance. The students on my chats have praised CMU's strength infinance and a significant number of its grads go into finance-related fields, but Citigroup was the only bank listed on its top fifteen recruiters. So if you are interested in corporate finance, it is probably fine. If you are interested in IB, there may be better options.

Good luck!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Winds_R_Behind_Me wrote:
Hi Linda

Winds

Thanks for clarifying your role. That does make a difference. I'm sorry I misread your original post.

To answer your questions:

1) Cornell is very strong in strategy and finance. It actually had a trading room.
2) Tuck: I'm not sure what earlier post you are referring to so I can't comment on that. I can say unequivocally that Tuck prefers older applicants. According to BW's stats, it admitted not applicants with less than 1 year of work experience. Its admitted applicants have an average of 61 months of work experience, on the higher end of the schools' averages, and the middle 80% of students have 30-70 months of work experience.
3) I am not sure of CMU's strength in finance. The students on my chats have praised CMU's strength infinance and a significant number of its grads go into finance-related fields, but Citigroup was the only bank listed on its top fifteen recruiters. So if you are interested in corporate finance, it is probably fine. If you are interested in IB, there may be better options.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot