Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Re: Admissions Consulting - Worth the money? [#permalink]
pm me if you want the name
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Cool... check your PMs please
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:McCombs School of Business
Send PM
Not worth the money. Last year I used one that supposedly maintains a "97% success rate"... I went 0 for 4.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
goose wrote:
Not worth the money. Last year I used one that supposedly maintains a "97% success rate"... I went 0 for 4.

Mind telling us which one it was? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bipolarbear wrote:
goose wrote:

Mind telling us which one it was? Thanks

Stacy Blackman.

I got feedback from one of my schools that said my essays didn't convey specific enough career goals. Not the feedback I expected after spending big $ of an admissions consultant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Wow that's surprising... always thought that stacey blackman was one of the elite admissions consulting firms out there. thanks for the info and good luck next round
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
goose wrote:
Stacy Blackman.

I got feedback from one of my schools that said my essays didn't convey specific enough career goals. Not the feedback I expected after spending big $ of an admissions consultant.

Sorry, but I have to call you out on this one. That story just doesn't pass the smell test. So, you paid approximately $3,000 per school, got that response, and then that is the end of the story?

Also, not conveying specific enough career goals is a very common mistake first time applicants make. It's one of the main reasons I was dinged at both Booth and Anderson before getting into Kellogg and Texas. I'd be curious to hear your whole story before making any assumptions about Stacey Blackman's services. Let's not jump to conclusions without all of the facts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
goose wrote:
Stacy Blackman.

Sorry, but I have to call you out on this one. That story just doesn't pass the smell test. So, you paid approximately $3,000 per school, got that response, and then that is the end of the story?

Also, not conveying specific enough career goals is a very common mistake first time applicants make. It's one of the main reasons I was dinged at both Booth and Anderson before getting into Kellogg and Texas. I'd be curious to hear your whole story before making any assumptions about Stacey Blackman's services. Let's not jump to conclusions without all of the facts.

What exactly are you calling me out on? That was my experience.

I would agree with you that not conveying specific enough career goals is probably a common mistake made by first time applicants. But, that's specifically why I hired an admissions consultant... to help me avoid those mistakes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
goose wrote:

I would agree with you that not conveying specific enough career goals is probably a common mistake made by first time applicants. But, that's specifically why I hired an admissions consultant... to help me avoid those mistakes.

I want to hear the whole story. I don't like it when people tell 1/8 of a story and then leave the rest of the facts out in order to make their point. I think you left out many of the facts in your story in order to prove your point that Stacy Blackman's service was not worth the money. I have a hard time believing that the only thing they told you was that your career goals weren't specific enough, then took your $3,000 and you got dinged at 4 schools. Is that how it happened? Or did they work with you more in depth and you're glossing over that part of the story so your original point reads better?

The reason I'm making a big deal out of this is that many people trust what people write on these boards as fact. It is not right to degrade Stacy Blackman's services on an MBA admission board unless her company really deserves it. If they really screwed up, then I invite you to tell your story in depth so that others may learn from it. Tell us in more specific terms what happened and why someone shouldn't use their services, but what you posted on the boards was not in the spirit of GMAT Club. We are here to help one another, and not attack anyone - including outside MBA admission consultants. If they hosed you, then give us the facts and let the readers decide how they want to proceed or whether to use her services. I apologize if I seem harsh in any way, that is not my intent. I just ask that you explain your reasons further if you are going to post a negative opinion. That's all. And BTW, welcome to GMAT Club, Goose.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
goose wrote:

I want to hear the whole story. I don't like it when people tell 1/8 of a story and then leave the rest of the facts out in order to make their point. I think you left out many of the facts in your story in order to prove your point that Stacy Blackman's service was not worth the money. I have a hard time believing that the only thing they told you was that your career goals weren't specific enough, then took your $3,000 and you got dinged at 4 schools. Is that how it happened? Or did they work with you more in depth and you're glossing over that part of the story so your original point reads better?

The reason I'm making a big deal out of this is that many people trust what people write on these boards as fact. It is not right to degrade Stacy Blackman's services on an MBA admission board unless her company really deserves it. If they really screwed up, then I invite you to tell your story in depth so that others may learn from it. Tell us in more specific terms what happened and why someone shouldn't use their services, but what you posted on the boards was not in the spirit of GMAT Club. We are here to help one another, and not attack anyone - including outside MBA admission consultants. If they hosed you, then give us the facts and let the readers decide how they want to proceed or whether to use her services. I apologize if I seem harsh in any way, that is not my intent. I just ask that you explain your reasons further if you are going to post a negative opinion. That's all. And BTW, welcome to GMAT Club, Goose.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote in my earlier post. I received feedback from the adcom of one of the schools I applied to and was rejected at. The adcom's feedback was that I did not convey specific enough career goals in my application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I found another article on admissions consulting, though this appears to have been written in 2007 when bschool were more hostile towards consulting. https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 906621.htm

My favorite quote is this:
Meanwhile, admissions committees will keep scrutinizing applications for a giveaway, such as writing that outshines the candidate's verbal skills. The best coaches, of course, are all over that. "You can't fool an admissions committee if you write like Hemingway and you sound like Borat," says Alex Chu, founder of MBA Apply, a one-man consulting service.

Made me laugh out loud. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
I used these admission consultants last year and went for 0/6 admits.The feedback I got from one of the schools is that my essays lack clarity and focus. :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I think one people forget when they get consultants, is to identify what they want out of it. For instance, do you need a consultant because you need help doing all the writing? Do you need help tightening the essays up? Prepping for interviews?

Take a look at the app checklist for any school on your list, then identify which areas you think you can handle, which areas you need help with. Then talk to a consultant. I think that'll help you get what you need.

Also, I didn't use any consultants - this is just advice a friend of mine gave me when I was starting the app process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Biotech MC
Schools:Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Hi,

Which one is better:

1. Hourly package: Pros: Can be flexible in terms of what you want, Cons: problem of being overcharged.
2. Comprehensive: No clock ticking but expensive.
3. Comprehensive for 1 School and hourly for other schools

When you have a limited amout of money to spend on admission consulting, which one of the above option is good. Opinion Guys.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
IMHO,

3. Coz the first app will take the most time. And once you learn the ropes, you would need lesser involvement of the the consultant.

bandit wrote:
Hi,

Which one is better:

1. Hourly package: Pros: Can be flexible in terms of what you want, Cons: problem of being overcharged.
2. Comprehensive: No clock ticking but expensive.
3. Comprehensive for 1 School and hourly for other schools

When you have a limited amout of money to spend on admission consulting, which one of the above option is good. Opinion Guys.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know something about the quality of Manhattan Review admission consulting services? They have a pretty competitive prices ($1900 for one school). Also, please do let me know if someone worked with Tom Kania and what was your impression (you can also send PM if you don't want to share this info with others).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I would like just to reinforce this topic and kindly ask guys who have been admitted recently to post here with which consultants did they work.

I am currently considering to hire an admission consulting company/consultant and I am targeting 4-5 schools.
I plan to apply in R1 fall 2011.

Please provide your feedback and if you want to remain provate just send me a pm.

thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3