Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Just a draft of the goals essay. It's not specific to any schools yet, so no worries.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Yeah the average words probably was more in the 800-1000 words with 2 pages. Some applicants would really push the limits with narrow margins, small fonts, etc. This will at least level the playing field. If they put minimum of 12pt font it will make reading all those essays easier on the eyes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Count me in .... now need to get down to these wretched essays ... any idea folks on really getting started.

Should I go GMAT style .... 1.5-2 hours everyday for the next several months?

I am looking at my 6-7 school list and the sheer number of essays is sending shivers through my spine. It almost reminds me of the 20+ essays I authored for UG!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Count me in pls for R1
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Updated. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
sm332 wrote:
Count me in .... now need to get down to these wretched essays ... any idea folks on really getting started.

I am looking at my 6-7 school list and the sheer number of essays is sending shivers through my spine. It almost reminds me of the 20+ essays I authored for UG!!

Are you planning 6-7 schools for R1?! If I were you I'd look to trim that down to 4-5 in R1 and save the others for R2. In terms of how to get started, I wouldn't suggest working on essays everyday between now and October, you'll go insane way before the application deadlines. I would focus first on creating an outline of the Goals/Why MBA essay since almost every school will ask some form of that: what are your career goals and why? Why do you need an MBA to achieve those goals. Then focus on thinking about what main themes you want to convey to the adcom about yourself. What makes you a unique candidate that they'll want to admit to their school? Think about some stories that convey those themes and make note of those. Last, think about why you're applying to the schools you've chosen. What about them makes you think they're a good fit for you and your goals? Once you have those 3 outlines, I think you'll find it much easier to plan out how to tackle the essay questions.

And don't sweat it too much, you've still got 4 months until the R1 deadlines. Last year I started seriously writing essays in early August and was able to apply to 5 schools in R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Great tip jerz! +1
Jerz wrote:
sm332 wrote:

Are you planning 6-7 schools for R1?! If I were you I'd look to trim that down to 4-5 in R1 and save the others for R2. In terms of how to get started, I wouldn't suggest working on essays everyday between now and October, you'll go insane way before the application deadlines. I would focus first on creating an outline of the Goals/Why MBA essay since almost every school will ask some form of that: what are your career goals and why? Why do you need an MBA to achieve those goals. Then focus on thinking about what main themes you want to convey to the adcom about yourself. What makes you a unique candidate that they'll want to admit to their school? Think about some stories that convey those themes and make note of those. Last, think about why you're applying to the schools you've chosen. What about them makes you think they're a good fit for you and your goals? Once you have those 3 outlines, I think you'll find it much easier to plan out how to tackle the essay questions.

And don't sweat it too much, you've still got 4 months until the R1 deadlines. Last year I started seriously writing essays in early August and was able to apply to 5 schools in R1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
I'm a big fan of the 3rd essay:

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would your peers select you to become a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit)

Gives applicants a great opportunity to directly argue their case.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
I don't think the new 3rd essay is really all that different than the old 3rd essay. Both are really looking for you to explain how you'll be a valuable and contributing member of the Kellogg community. This just frames it from the perspective of you being on the adcom.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Let the essay advice begin ! :)
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
OhThatMBA wrote:

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would your peers select you to become a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit)

When tackling an essay like this, is it wise to focus on one core idea as to why you'll make a great fit at Kellogg, or is to ramble of a number of reasons? To me, I feel like it would be wise in such a short essay to find one really strong core reason that makes you valuable, but i dont know if they're looking for more I'll be active in this and this, i'm strong analytically, i've got motivation for miles, etc. etc.

What do you guys think?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:

When tackling an essay like this, is it wise to focus on one core idea as to why you'll make a great fit at Kellogg, or is to ramble of a number of reasons? To me, I feel like it would be wise in such a short essay to find one really strong core reason that makes you valuable, but i dont know if they're looking for more I'll be active in this and this, i'm strong analytically, i've got motivation for miles, etc. etc.

What do you guys think?

Last year, this essay asked us to describe how our "background, values, academics, activities and/or leadership skills will enhance the experience of other Kellogg students," so it was very similar. I approached this from multiple angles, touching aspects of my professional background, personal life and interests. In each case, I tied my argument directly to how I'd add value to Kellogg and its students. So, while I didn't ramble, I did focus on a few key areas, rather than on one core idea.

What I like about the way they reworded this is that they come at it from the angle of a committee member. I.e., the perspective is that of the "buyer", rather than the "seller." To me, that makes this essay even more interesting. With a bit of thought, you could get really creative with this.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
OhThatMBA wrote:
Last year, this essay asked us to describe how our "background, values, academics, activities and/or leadership skills will enhance the experience of other Kellogg students," so it was very similar. I approached this from multiple angles, touching aspects of my professional background, personal life and interests. In each case, I tied my argument directly to how I'd add value to Kellogg and its students. So, while I didn't ramble, I did focus on a few key areas, rather than on one core idea.

What I like about the way they reworded this is that they come at it from the angle of a committee member. I.e., the perspective is that of the "buyer", rather than the "seller." To me, that makes this essay even more interesting. With a bit of thought, you could get really creative with this.

With 600 words, what would number of things would you recommend touching on. I would assume no more than 2 or 3, any more than that I see it becoming too much of a laundry list without being able to fully elaborate on your ideas.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Throwing in my hat for R1 as well.
Director
Director
Send PM
I think 2-3 is optimal for that essay, considering the word limit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I think 2-3 sounds about right. I was just checking out my essay for last year and in 900 words I spoke about 4 main themes and tied those into specific stuff at Kellogg. With the constrained word limit, 2-3 sounds perfect. Any more than that and you risk not being able to talk about either of the points in depth.

I believe this essay can really be used to show your passion and your fit in Kellogg, so you need to discuss stuff in depth and show how it ties into specific activities at the school.

ACNguy wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:

With 600 words, what would number of things would you recommend touching on. I would assume no more than 2 or 3, any more than that I see it becoming too much of a laundry list without being able to fully elaborate on your ideas.
Director
Director
Send PM
when talking about themes, any advice on which specific themes to pull out of the arsenal for Kellogg specifically ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  136   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts