Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1(W/o Int), HBS R1(W/o Int), Kellogg R1(Ding), Haas R2(W/o Int), Wharton R2(W/o Int), Darden(W/o Int)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Thanks for the real helpful post. I just started looking at the application process and came to this.
GMAT 750
GPA 72% from India
6 yrs experience in software (Wireless(3) and Financial Industry(3))
Planning to apply for R1. Time to start preparing for essays
Shiva.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship / Finance
Schools:Harvard
 Q50  V46
Send PM
I'm in for R1.

I'm dreading trying to come up with leadership/community involvement examples. I'm an investment banking analyst. We're bottom of the corporate ladder with no potential for any material responsibilities and we work >100 hours a week and don't have time for community involvement.

Any tips?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CrushTheGMAT wrote:
I'm in for R1.

I'm dreading trying to come up with leadership/community involvement examples. I'm an investment banking analyst. We're bottom of the corporate ladder with no potential for any material responsibilities and we work >100 hours a week and don't have time for community involvement.

Any tips?

As for community involvement, though it's not much of an advice, talk to IBankers who got into top schools and ask them for advice (i.e. how they dealt with this). From what I understood AdCom realizes that IBankers work long hours and don't expect them to have significant "outside work" exposure.

As for leadership examples... have a look at one of the posts I put last week from AGirlsMBA. She's giving some great example how to broaden definition of leadership and that you can have significant examples without any formal title, managerial role, etc. Besides, check out HBS' (i.e. Dee's) understanding of leadership - it's much more than what I think you assume.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
More on leadership from BusinessWeek... (source: https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 219087.htm)

Quote:
Make Your Leadership Case for B-School Admission
More than ever, business schools want applicants with leadership skills. Here's how to mine your past for compelling examples

By Francesca Di Meglio

Leadership is a word thrown around a lot at many a top business school. In fact, leadership is considered the key to getting your foot in the door of top MBA programs. But what does leadership mean and how do you demonstrate to admissions committees in your application that you're a leader worthy of admission?

To determine if you are leader material, most admissions committees will be scanning your application to find certain characteristics—charisma, relating well to others, communicating well, handling difficult situations with grace, strategizing and having a vision, taking action, persuading others, willingness to take risks, committing to something for the long term, working well in teams, and being a great role model. "It's about leaving a footprint on whatever situation you're in and doing more than a good job," says Stacy Blackman, president of Stacy Blackman Consulting. "Leadership is not a solo effort. You're inspiring others and bringing out the best in them."

Promotions and raises at work and titles held in extracurricular organizations are common ways applicants indicate their leadership potential in their applications. They may bring up these accomplishments when they list extracurricular activities, in essays or interviews, or through their supervisors who write letters of recommendation. Although you don't want to sound like a braggart, you still have to prove to an admissions committee that you belong. "Take credit for what you've done," says Isser Gallogly, executive director of MBA admissions at New York University's Stern School of Business (Stern MBA Profile). "You're just telling the facts, helping admissions committees understand what you will bring to their class."

While obvious examples of leadership—from being the editor of your college newspaper to supervising three junior staffers at your office—are great, there are other, more subtle, examples that could help you show off your leadership potential, too. "Leadership is not the big hairy example of your greatest achievement ever," says Blackman. "It can be really simple things." Here are six ways you might not have realized were valid to demonstrate your leadership potential in a business school application:

1. RECRUIT AT YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM

Sometimes, people have a hard time snagging leadership opportunities on the job, where top-tier supervisors often get all the cool tasks. Most employers, however, turn to their employees to find new talent for hiring. Many have programs where alumni from different undergraduate programs help recruit for the company. The admissions committees at Stern and the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School (Wharton MBA Profile) say this is a way to take initiative at work, help shape the talent at your office, and take action even if you can't lead a project or manage anyone. The bonuses of recruiting at your alma mater are that you will probably improve your own network, become a mentor, and stay in the loop on the hiring front.

2. TAKE CHARGE AT HOME

"Think broadly about leadership," says Mae Jennifer Shores, assistant dean of MBA admissions and financial aid at UCLA Anderson School of Management (Anderson MBA Profile). Admissions experts, in fact, want you to scour your memory bank for all sorts of examples that prove your leadership skills and potential. Gallogly says even examples of how you led your family can be effective. He mentions examples of candidates who led a family business, handled the finances, or organized the care of a sick family member.

Some just had a single mom, which meant taking on more responsibility at a younger age.

Working these examples into an optional essay or the interview is perfectly acceptable if done with aplomb. That means don't harp on the number of diapers you changed to help mom but do mention helping mom stick to a budget and organizing the household chores. Translate for the admissions committee how these skills can be transferred to your roles on campus and later in the office.

3. SOLVE A PROBLEM

A candidate from an impoverished part of Latin America had few opportunities for a good education. He rallied support from his neighbors and managed to get a scholarship for a boarding school and worked his way through high school and college, remembers Shores. He took initiative and found the resources to make his goals possible, she adds. In another case, the student who became student government president at Stern reunited trafficked children from Nepal with their parents before entering business school, says Gallogly.

While these initiatives are wildly impressive, you can solve smaller problems and still show leadership potential. Blackman recalls one candidate who was applying to business school with just six months of work experience under her belt. As a result, she had few obvious leadership examples. But she had taken it upon herself to overhaul an Excel spreadsheet for the investment bank where she worked. To do this, she had to state the problem, come up with a solution, and sell others, including supervisors, on her idea. Her improved spreadsheet, containing market information including Treasury rates, saved time, became a great internal resource, and helped the bank communicate better with clients. Taking the initiative to change this spreadsheet was what she wrote about in her application, says Blackman.

Think long and hard about when you've solved problems. Many candidates write off team experiences unless they were given the title of president of the group. But players on the team often resolve issues or conflict during the course of a project. What role did you play? How did you contribute? Admissions experts say that often you'll find examples of your leadership or potential for leadership when you're interacting as part of a group or team even if you weren't the head honcho. "It's really more about substance than title," says Linda B. Meehan, assistant dean and executive director for admissions at Columbia Business School (Columbia MBA Profile). The bottom line: don't get caught up with labels when looking for examples of when you've solved problems.

4. LAUNCH AN ORGANIZATION OR BUSINESS

Shores and other admissions experts will tell you that people who start and maintain side businesses or nonprofits on top of their careers are impressive to admissions committees. Besides demonstrating their ability to take action and execute a plan, they also prove that they have a good work ethic. The success of the business is almost irrelevant, says Meehan. The business might have bombed, but if you tell the admissions committee in a thoughtful way about what you learned and how you even got the idea off the ground in the first place, you could win their support, she adds.

Starting a club, organization, or charitable group works, too. One of Blackman's clients launched an English club in his native China because he needed to improve his language skills for business school and thought his neighbors might benefit, too. The club grew, and he made his mark in the community, which was something he could point out to admissions committees, says Blackman. He showed he could inspire and motivate others, organize a group, and learn a new language to boot. The applicant ultimately was accepted at Harvard Business School (Harvard MBA Profile).

5. BE A RISK TAKER

Showing that you are willing and open-minded enough to take the road less traveled is a way to show strength of character, a sign of a leader. Kathryn Bezella, associate director of MBA admissions at Wharton says that's why she was impressed by an applicant from London who jumped at the chance to work for his firm in Beijing. The applicant, who was admitted to Wharton, showed he was willing to test himself and brave new waters to achieve his goals. He was able to learn lessons and cultivate leadership literally in foreign territory, says Bezella.

Part of being a leader is having an open mind, being flexible, and sometimes working outside your comfort zone. Moving across the world is not the only way to prove you are capable of these things, but it is a way that is becoming increasingly common and feasible in the global economy.

6. PROJECT YOUR FUTURE LEADERSHIP ACHIEVEMENTS

Admissions committees at top business schools are assessing what you will bring to the B-school community and how their school can benefit from your leadership skills when reading your application. Gallogly says one of the best ways to show your potential for leadership is to tell the school exactly how you'd like to get involved on campus—what programs you'd like to start or improve and how you'd like to accomplish this, what roles you'd like to play in particular student clubs or organizations, and the talents you plan to share with the community. He adds that many applicants mention the courses and clubs that interest them, but few get specific about how they'd like to actually contribute to these groups.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Count me in!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Kellogg (Interviewed, ding) , Fuqua (Admit), HBS, Ross (WL) /Kelley (Admit) /McCombs (ding) - Consortium
GMAT 3: 650
WE 1: Technology Engineer
Send PM
I'm gonna go for it... 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Whilst i am not professing to be an expert or in anyway knowledgable, i applied froma finance background and w.r.t. leadership, i talked about a few different issues:

i) I took on responsibility for heading up a smaller (and non-priority) project which gave a good opportunity to talk about both pitching project to direct mgt and then senior, gaining buy-in from peers to work on it when not core business and finally a chance to talk about managing upwards.

ii) Talked about involvement in organising charity drives through work, primarily to try to show the ability to communicate to get staff involved as well as organising

I then combined these with talking about undergraduate/community/social/sporting leadership responsibilities. Finally, i tried to weave these into a single piece highlighting what i saw as the consistent themes. I would reiterate that leadership is not dependent on having a title, but more when you feel you were the driving force behind something or even just the catalyst that got something started.

I hope this helps, PM if you think i can help further.

CrushTheGMAT wrote:
I'm in for R1.

Any tips?
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
I'll be applying to Harvard in Round 1.
All the optional essays seem so inviting. I feel like writing all of them. I'll have a hard time choosing between which ones to write and which ones to leave.

Good luck folks. May we all meet next fall at Cambridge , MA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Top choice, also biggest long shot. Count me in ladies and gentlemen.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM

Originally posted by idleking on 08 Jun 2009, 12:28.
Last edited by idleking on 22 Dec 2009, 23:41, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
i moved the discussion on recommendations to the best app tips thread.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
In for R1.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Garbus, thanks for putting this together. It's great, and someone should decree that all School threads should be like this! :-)

I'm also applying, and I have a sub 700 gmat. I rather get rejected by my own merits, and then ask the question what if. :lol:

On another note, for essay #1, it asks you for 3 accomplishments. Is it necessary to have a nice transition from one accomplishment to the other? I really don't want to waste space. How did you do deal with it?

garbus222 wrote:
To all HBS hopefuls and dreamers... My best advice is: don't let anybody tell you that you have or you don't have a shot at HBS. As long as you've stats in the ballpark (GMAT +/-700, reasonable GPA) try. It's about how you present yourself and all the talk that "too old", "too young", "too much work experience", "too little work experience", etc. is - in my opinion - useless. The only way you know is by trying.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Do folks have recommendations on text on leadership? I mean accepted leadership models/styles etc. Generally, I want to read some basic framework/model that is used to define/measure leadership to clear up thoughts. Any help /links would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Garbus, thanks for putting this together. It's great, and someone should decree that all School threads should be like this! :-)

thanks

bigfernhead wrote:
On another note, for essay #1, it asks you for 3 accomplishments. Is it necessary to have a nice transition from one accomplishment to the other? I really don't want to waste space. How did you do deal with it?

I didn't do any transitions. The only thing I did were "headlines"/titles at the top of each accomplishment. So overall I had 3 separate "stories". Also, I tried to squeeze all 3 of them into 1 page. People say that it doesn't matter, but I thought it looked nicer to have 1 page only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:LBS
Send PM
garbus222 wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:

thanks

bigfernhead wrote:

I didn't do any transitions. The only thing I did were "headlines"/titles at the top of each accomplishment. So overall I had 3 separate "stories". Also, I tried to squeeze all 3 of them into 1 page. People say that it doesn't matter, but I thought it looked nicer to have 1 page only.

The one page idea is a good one. Im struggling on this question though because I have one accomplishment that is pretty impressive but the other 2 are pretty standard. Do all 3 need to be quite impressive given the level of competition?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
HBS2011 wrote:
The one page idea is a good one. Im struggling on this question though because I have one accomplishment that is pretty impressive but the other 2 are pretty standard. Do all 3 need to be quite impressive given the level of competition?

calling-all-hbs-fall-2010-candidates-78704.html#p592292

Also, do not forget about "why". It is as important as "what".
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  79   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts