Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I will try to address your three main questions.

1) RE: Repeating GMAT. Assuming that you do not jeopardize the rest of your application AND your score is likely to impove by a significant increment I would consider retaking. Otherwise, I think it is best to choose a strong portfolio of schools and work on the essays etc.

2) How do you identify yourself? Which culture(s) do you consider your own? I think these answers will determine which "box" to check.

3) In general, schools will pay some attention to your undergrad institution. However, I would not commit undue attention to this issue since Dearborn is certainly a known institution and your performance (in terms of nominal GPA) does not appear to have been near either the floor or the ceiling of the grade distribution

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Strong portfolio [#permalink]
Hjort,

Thanks for the reply. In your note you say I should choose a "strong portfolio of schools". Based on where I stand now, do you think the schools I mentioned in my first note (Harvard, Duke, UNC, Virginia, Wharton) constitute a strong portfolio?

David
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi again,

These are all strong schools from the top clusters of schools in terms of general reputation. However, do you consider admission to any of these schools as a high probability event? What about to at least one school in the portfolo (subjective probabilities suffice for these purposes)? What was your rationale for inclusion of each? What others did you reject?

What are your goals for the MBA?
Do you prefer a particular geographic area?

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bye bye $225 [#permalink]
I'm either a gluton for punishment, very stubborn, or downright dumb... in any case, I'm out another $225 since I signed up to take this stupid test one last time on Sunday... yes, a little over 48 hours from now.

With regard to your questions, I get the sense you're trying to hint that I'm not being terribly realistic with the schools I've selected. I'd like to think that my chances are good at least at UNC and Virginia (I was wait-listed at Virginia last time - before I finshed my B.S.). As for Harvard, Duke, and Wharton (which I may drop since I'm not in love with Philly and the Wharton app would compete with the Harvard app for my attention due to the near simultaneous deadlines) I think I may have a chance. Of course, I may have just bought into the Harvard-esque rhetoric of "just tell your story... you're unique, and that's what we're looking for... unique, diverse leaders." But I'd like to believe that they won't completely disregard me just because my GMAT score isn't perfect.

I chose not to stay in my home state of Michigan and attend UofM because, quite honestly, I'm sick if this place. I would like to go somewhere warm (hence, UNC and Duke) but if, by some fluke, I get into Harvard/Wharton, I'll gladly endure a few more icy winters.

My goals are to get an MBA from a highly respected school (Top 10-15) that uses the case method and has a strong General Management and Entrepreneurial curriculum. Harvard is my ideal school because it fits all of these criteria, but I'm a realist, so I chose to apply to other schools too :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Bye bye $225 [#permalink]
lacrosse_20 wrote:
I'm either a gluton for punishment, very stubborn, or downright dumb... in any case, I'm out another $225 since I signed up to take this stupid test one last time on Sunday... yes, a little over 48 hours from now.
I think this is a really bad idea. I would wait at least a week or two. Take some practice exams and address the areas that you did poorly in the last time.

That being said.... Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wish I could! [#permalink]
Trust me, I know this isn't the best idea... but... my first round of apps are due in 2 weeks, and I need to focus on them and not worry about trying to explain away a low GMAT score. I know one reason I did poorly on this last try was because I did not pace myself... I skipped through guessing on the last 6 or so on the quant section before the buzzer rang. Assuming I got all those wrong (the probability of which I can calculate :) ), I'm sure that took my score down severely (I know the last few questions count the least, but I also know that successive wrong answers do lots of damage). Hence, the way I justify this insanity to myself is that if I change nothing but improve my pace so I'm not guessing at random on the last 6, I think I can hit at least 700.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I am a big proponent of candidates applying where they actually want to attend. If you are paying 100+k for something you might as well get what you want.

While many students cite the tiny percentage of students that Harvard admits, few consider that Harvard accepts more students than virtually any other major business school in the United States (depending on the year a school such as Penn might accept more students). This is more than Stanford and Yale combined. Selectivity, it seems, has many dimensions . . .

If you are considering school in warm climates, with a strong entrepreneurship program, and a relatively strong emphasis on the case method I would also consider UC Berkeley.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It worked! [#permalink]
IT WORKED!!! 700!!!! 3 days after getting a 670, I pulled off a 700 (45Q, 41V)!!! No more GMAT!!! wooohooo!!!

Hjort, thanks for your feedback. However, rather than adding UC Berkley, I've decided to trim my list. I'm now going to apply to Harvard, Duke, Virginia, and UNC (in order of preference). Wish me luck!!

Dave
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
woot! congrats and good luck on the apps!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: It worked! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
lacrosse_20 wrote:
IT WORKED!!! 700!!!! 3 days after getting a 670, I pulled off a 700 (45Q, 41V)!!! No more GMAT!!! wooohooo!!!

Hjort, thanks for your feedback. However, rather than adding UC Berkley, I've decided to trim my list. I'm now going to apply to Harvard, Duke, Virginia, and UNC (in order of preference). Wish me luck!!

Dave

Sorry I was out while you were gathering info and making your decision, but it certainly looks like it all worked out and you got excellent help..

Congrats on the GMAT and good luck with your applications!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: It worked! [#permalink]