Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Jerz wrote:
In terms of themes, the most important criteria is that they are authentic to who you are as a person. Writing what you think the adcom wants to hear is a great way to get dinged.

Couldn't agree more strongly that authenticity is key. Current and previous students from several schools have hammered this into my head. Rather than spending time overanalyzing what you think adcom wants, I'd spend more time in self-reflection, thinking about why you believe you fit well with the school, why you want an MBA, what you're qualified, the value you'll add to the school, etc. Structure your application so that it's unique to you, not a stencil of what you think a successful application looks like.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
pmenon wrote:
when talking about themes, any advice on which specific themes to pull out of the arsenal for Kellogg specifically ?

Execution is the key here. You have to craft a well written essay that conveys many factors including:

1) Individuality - You have to stand out as an applicant, classmate, future student, professional etc etc. You have to somehow convey your uniqueness while proving that you can be an asset to the program, to fellow classmates, and to your own future.

2) Be positive, even when discussing events in your life with negative tone. Avoid expressing anything extreme.

3) Make sure that you emphasize the value of teamwork, and that you are a team player. A good team player understands that he or she isn't always right. He or she has to contribute what he or she can, but let others contribute as well. Team works the best when everyone can bring something to the table. If one member is weak in one area, another member should be able to make up for that weakness by adding his or her own strength. In the meantime, you can also learn from your teammates and apply what you've learned in the future.

4) When crafting your essay, don't write like a lawyer drafting a legal contract. If you need to adopt a writing style, pick up a newspaper or a magazine (or even web article) and read your favorite columnist. He or she has a specific writing style that captures your attention. Pick up that style of writing and apply to your essays.

5) Be honest with yourself - when evaluating your past accomplishments, future goals, etc etc. Look inside yourself and write your essays honestly. Don't try to be someone else. After all, there's no point of applying to any school if you can't present yourself in your essays the way you are. If you try to be someone that you are not, then the adcom will evaluate your application with someone else's goals/identity/traits etc. Most applicants try to craft themselves as a perfect applicant. There are very few perfect applicants, if any exist at all. Bschools don't want to shape their incoming class with robots with similar backgrounds (or perfect candidates). They want diversity.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks guys ! I'll miss you all when youre away at school :cry: :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Some will stick around which will be a benefit to all the people here. For some reason, I can see Yale increasing in popularity incredibly on here next year.

Officially finished my first year today. Start work on monday.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I will definitely stick round. River and the rest of the guys were lifesavers for me during this process. The least I can do is help out the next batch:)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Some will stick around which will be a benefit to all the people here. For some reason, I can see Yale increasing in popularity incredibly on here next year.

Officially finished my first year today. Start work on monday.

Congrats riverripper!

I'm planning to stick around next year too, although I probably won't be spending all day in chat anymore...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Applying in R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford(R2), Haas(R1-WL), Kellog(R1 Accepted), MIT(R1-dinged), Ross(R1-WL but declined)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re-applicant new to this thread here.

I was waitlisted from R2 and got the ding letter last Thursday. Back to to drawing board, but just found out I had to redo all the essays.
I am going take a few days off before I start but have some questions I need help with.

1. Most of the essay questions are identical to last years. (Exception for the Peer evaluation essay). Do I need to
develop new topics for each essay?

2. Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is for re-applicants and any thoughts on how I should approach this?

Thanks in advance and let the games begin...again.
Director
Director
Send PM
I updated the first page with dates...I missed them when they came out...don't know if anyone else did the same. If anyone with mod privileges knows how to put it in a table, feel free.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Looking4MBA wrote:
Re-applicant new to this thread here.

I was waitlisted from R2 and got the ding letter last Thursday. Back to to drawing board, but just found out I had to redo all the essays.
I am going take a few days off before I start but have some questions I need help with.

1. Most of the essay questions are identical to last years. (Exception for the Peer evaluation essay). Do I need to
develop new topics for each essay?

2. Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is for re-applicants and any thoughts on how I should approach this?

Thanks in advance and let the games begin...again.

Hey,

Sorry to hear about the ding. On the flip side at least you know they were seriously considering you. I'm not sure if I would switch essay topics but I would definitely see what needs improvement with my essays (including if necessary, using an admissions consultant).

With the optional essays, I'd consider picking different ones just so the application doesn't look too familiar.

Remember - your main goal should be to show them how you are a better candidate this year than you were the previous one.

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q49  V36
Send PM
I wonder what's up with Kellogg being super popular on gmatclub year after year!

Good luck everyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
krispy wrote:
I wonder what's up with Kellogg being super popular on gmatclub year after year!

Good luck everyone.

We're just a fun loving group of people here at Kellogg - not unlike the Gmatclub :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg
Send PM
hmm where did you see the new dates? I checked the Kellogg page and it's still saying 2008.

highhopes wrote:
I updated the first page with dates...I missed them when they came out...don't know if anyone else did the same. If anyone with mod privileges knows how to put it in a table, feel free.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I'm in.
Director
Director
Send PM
dynabook wrote:
hmm where did you see the new dates? I checked the Kellogg page and it's still saying 2008.

highhopes wrote:

Right you are...I got them from accepted.com, but it looks like they just changed the year on them. Their link goes back to the 2008 dates. I will remove them for now.
Director
Director
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
dynabook wrote:

highhopes wrote:

Right you are...I got them from accepted.com, but it looks like they just changed the year on them. Their link goes back to the 2008 dates. I will remove them for now.

They are now up officially - looks to be the same as last year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Is anyone else having a terrible time trying to fit Essay #1 into 600 words? I feel as though they're trying to get two traditional essays into one with both a rundown of your work experience AND future goals AND why an MBA AND why Kellogg.

What breakdown are you guys/gals going with in terms of percentage of each topic. It says "briefly" describe your work experience, and then the other stuff. It seems silly to only devote like a paragraph to skim your work experience but it sounds like that's what they're looking for...am I crazy?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  136   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts